Complications with Conveting a 650R to dual-sport

13 replies to this topic
  • auron

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:09 AM

My main concerns amd questions are-

1) Getting enough juice out of the stator to reliably run the radiator fan and how do you know how long to run it if there's a manual switch?

2) The seat can be redone Renazko but will it be wide enough?

3) Can you hook up a 650L instrumentation wiring and speed-o cable?

4) Adding an electric starter

5) How much weight will all of this add?

6) Is it all worth it?

• bosshog

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:43 PM

auron

TT Member

Complications with Conveting a 650R to dual-sport

My main concerns amd questions are-

1) Getting enough juice out of the stator to reliably run the radiator fan and how do you know how long to run it if there's a manual switch?

.........Yes there is enough juice to run a small fan even with the stock stator and a Dual sport kit. I ran mine this way for a season befor I had my stator rewound, than even better.
........If you have ever boiled over your BRP you know when it's getting hot. If the going gets real slow and tough I'll turn it on. I could let it sit and idle if I wanted to now without frear of it boiling over no. You could leave it on all day if you wanted without issue so If in doubt use it.
......All the North American model bikes have a couple tabs behind the left side rad where the Ca model smog crap goes. This is a perfect place to mount a small fan. You'll have to make up a bracket but that's no big deal.

.......Wish I had one to tell you.

.........Well you could but you would have to make up your own wiring for the warning lights and back light. Plus the ignition could be wired in to work likely through the kill swich wiring. There is also no nuetral indicator on the R so that won't work. It will not just plug in if that is your question. The speedo however will hook up and work off the Odo cable.
.........It would be easier and cleaner to buy a keyed ignition and wire it in. Than get a speedo from a wrecker or some other source off another bike and fit that up to the Odo cable.

.....Yes Baja designs sells a kit....I have no experiance with it, love to have on though.

........something like 15 lbs??? Others will chime in with exact details I'm sure.

6) Is it all worth it?
.........Worth it to Dual Sport a 650R? Yes with out question. I love it. It's not for everyone but if your looking into it. you probably have the same need for it we do.

• AngryShawn

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:48 PM

IMHO

-rewind it yourself, if I can do it, anyone can do it... to address the length of time you run the fan, how about just installing some temp strips on each radiator?

-i can do 100 miles or so on the stocker before i need a brake, but thats just me...

-why bother with that bulky stuff? Install a trailtech or acewell unit.

-personally i would save the $$ for other mods...
Check out one persons exp with the BD e-start, ymmv of course:
http://www.bayareari... electric start

-negligible if you leave out the e-start

6) Is it all worth it?
-hell yes, I have almost 2K miles on my rebuilt BRP riding street w/supermoto setup and DS with the dirt setup and I just love it!

• Maroast

Posted September 10, 2007 - 05:20 PM

1) "Getting enough juice out of the stator to reliably run the radiator fan and how do you know how long to run it if there's a manual switch?"

Rewind the stator yourself- its easy. fan length? Use judgment. I dont have a fan and I have no problem riding traffic/ tight trails (bike uncorked)

2) "The seat can be redone Renazko but will it be wide enough?"

Dont know. I can do about 200 miles w/o gettin sore. I did ride this bike on the highway 2600 miles in 6 days. It can be done.

3) "Can you hook up a 650L instrumentation wiring and speed-o cable?"
Why? trailtech vapor & billet case for $150. clean. easy.

4) "Adding an electric starter"
Why? a properly tuned bike kicks over in one kick ice cold.

5) "How much weight will all of this add?"
The BD dualsport kid adds about 7lbs

6) "Is it all worth it?"

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! This bike is sick right out of the box...its hard for me to believe that this motor has a ton of more HP locked up in it and can be easily attained for a few hundred bucks (which i don't have right now)

• Naru

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Two answers for you:

Is the Renazco seat wide enough?
Yes, it is. It's vastly superior to stock while still leaving ample room for movement. I highly recommend the suede, btw. Do understand though it will set you back close to $300. Was it worth it? Kind of, but are my riding buddies jelous. :thumbsup: I'd just recommend getting it re-upholstered at a shop, getting a pad to cover it (rumor is that walmart sells ATV seat covers for $10 that slide right on), or get a Travelcade (my XR400 has it and I love it, very plush).

E-start?
Works great... I bought two and hooked one up on one of my XR's, worth every penny when you kill your bike in traffic. However, I decided that I'm not going to run the other one, so if you decide you buy an XR650R and want one, I have a brand new one in package from Baja Designs for sale. I'm looking to get $600 + shipping (new it was $875 + shipping). Sorry about the sales pitch, but it is actually worth it, especially for around 6 bills. I managed to stall myself in the middle of a busy intersection, and said 'never again'. :ride:

• Naru

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:11 PM

PS - I've got a brand new Ricky Stator 200 watt stator I'm selling for $100 + shipping and brand new Acerbis 6-gallon Sahara tank I'm selling for $150 + shipping... ok end of shameless plug. :thumbsup:

• scalejockey

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:28 PM

The best part is honking before you blow by someone on the trail. Unless the horn came from baja designs then it was more of a squeek. Unless they have been selling a better horn now with thier kits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maroast

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:00 PM

The best part is honking before you blow by someone on the trail. Unless the horn came from baja designs then it was more of a squeek. Unless they have been selling a better horn now with thier kits.

I think the horn on my BD kit is pretty damn loud... pretty annoying, but loud.

• BIGGITY

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Naru - PM sent on your stator:thumbsup:

• 2000dr650

Posted September 11, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Naru.. i just sent you a PM on the Estart:thumbsup:

• tjmiller

Posted September 11, 2007 - 11:48 AM

The electric start would be pretty cool to have, but I'd rather spend that money on something else. I stalled in traffic the other day - felt like a goon starting it, but it started right up.... I really like the BajaDesigns rear LED brake light/taillight I put on. For a speedometer, I've been using my GPS on a ram mount, seems to be working for me (not sure if "the man" would agree to this approach....).

• bosshog

Posted September 11, 2007 - 12:59 PM

For a speedometer, I've been using my GPS on a ram mount, seems to be working for me (not sure if "the man" would agree to this approach....).

Is a speedo even a requirement in your state? I'm not sure if there's much the man could say.:thumbsup:

• Naru

Posted September 11, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Don't spend the money on a speedo... the $100 or whatever they run these days will be much better directed toward a Garmin GPS V which is waterproof, can be hardwired in and can have the speed and direction set up on the same screen as maping, giving you the ultimate 'hud'. I got mine on sale at Bestbuy for $150, so Ebay should run you no more than $100. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

• AngryShawn

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:54 PM

GPSV all the way. Got mine used for $200 including touratech mount...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.