Xr630rn - No Spark ? Help !!!!

19 replies to this topic
  • veetwo tls

Posted September 10, 2007 - 02:02 AM

ive got a XR630RN 1992 model.

ive had the hole bike ground up restored 12 months ago all the electrics are new / heavier wiring right through & basic. (2 X hella ralle 1000 lights - 100W LO & 200W HI , tail/brake light)
i got a constant intermittent problem with no spark.

i have replaced in the shop so far:
coil twice
regulator twice
200W stator checked 4 times & rewound once (not inc first done)
exciter/pulse gen replaced 3 times & checked twice

the last time 1 mth ago everything was checked & all read good plus including a new coil & plug NGK DPR8EIX - 9.
the bike was used for commuting to & from work for 2 weeks 5 klm's a day. then it sat for a week. i fired it up second kick no choke let it run for 5 min then shut it off. it sat for another 2 weeks. then this morning i went to use it & no spark :ride: i swapped the plug for a new NGK DPR8EIX - 9 but still no spark. i spent half a day off work going over this bike (connectors , coil lead check etc) & i cant find anything wrong :bonk: :eek: :eek: :thumbsup:

this is the 7th time this problem has acured & i'm near ready to put a axe through the bike.

clic on pic for big:
Posted Image

• xr650l bum

Posted September 10, 2007 - 06:48 AM

What about the Cdi box?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:46 AM

+1 on the CDI.

+8 on the CDI if that bike uses the 12V DC CDI like the XRL.

Dave

• suharianu

Posted September 10, 2007 - 11:09 AM

check your exciter coil resistance bl/rd to ground, even if shows good it may not function when warm.

• veetwo tls

Posted September 10, 2007 - 02:10 PM

What about the Cdi box?

+1 on the CDI.

+8 on the CDI if that bike uses the 12V DC CDI like the XRL.

Dave

sorry i did'nt add it. the CDI box was replaced.

• veetwo tls

Posted September 10, 2007 - 02:15 PM

check your exciter coil resistance bl/rd to ground, even if shows good it may not function when warm.

when the bike is hot it starts 1st kick :thumbsup: its actualy when its cold.
it done it once in the evening after work but mainly in the mornings.
when its running it starts 1 - 2 kick no choke summer & winter.

it heads back to the shop today. this xr is realy starting to cost big time with this problem.

• daddyk

Posted September 11, 2007 - 07:15 PM

If those are your's in the photo leave the yellow one parked and take the orange one.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 12, 2007 - 01:43 AM

ive got a XR630RN 1992 model.

ive had the hole bike ground up restored 12 months ago all the electrics are new / heavier wiring right through & basic. (2 X hella ralle 1000 lights - 100W LO & 200W HI , tail/brake light)
i got a constant intermittent problem with no spark.

i have replaced in the shop so far:
coil twice
regulator twice
200W stator checked 4 times & rewound once (not inc first done)
exciter/pulse gen replaced 3 times & checked twice

the last time 1 mth ago everything was checked & all read good plus including a new coil & plug NGK DPR8EIX - 9.
the bike was used for commuting to & from work for 2 weeks 5 klm's a day. then it sat for a week. i fired it up second kick no choke let it run for 5 min then shut it off. it sat for another 2 weeks. then this morning i went to use it & no spark :ride: i swapped the plug for a new NGK DPR8EIX - 9 but still no spark. i spent half a day off work going over this bike (connectors , coil lead check etc) & i cant find anything wrong :bonk: :eek: :eek: :thumbsup:

this is the 7th time this problem has acured & i'm near ready to put a axe through the bike.

clic on pic for big:
Posted Image

Dude

1. Why replace things 2 or 3 times? That seems to suggest a massive over volt somewhere?

2. It must be electrical. You mentioned rewiring it - you must have done something wrong for the wiring to f-up. What did you replace in the rewire?

Perhaps your rewound stator is producing too much heat/wattage and gradually burning things out?

Tried Steve at Betta bikes? He built the wiring for mine - I run dual core 200 watt system with 100 watts devoted to battery power and 100w for lights etc. I also use a OEM XR650L reg/rect which Steve said were close to the best. AS you know the stock XR600 has a dual power system - I've retained that but just lifted the output considerably

Posted Image

• rmhrc630

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Did you find the problem dude?

• veetwo tls

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:58 PM

steve is the guy that done the work on the stator.
everything has tested ok :thumbsup: it played up once for the guys in the local shop. it seems to be a COLD morning intermittent problem NOT HOT. its still in the shop trying to find the problem.

it has a
new CDI
new COIL
new REG/RECT
new heavier wiring loom (basic) lights tail/stop & kill.

the bike has ran for 3 yrs with this set up so its nothing new to the wiring it self & as i said all checks out ok :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • veetwo tls

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:02 PM

If those are your's in the photo leave the yellow one parked and take the orange one.

yep they sure are plus the RC-51 & TLs streetfighter for summer :thumbsup:

• scalejockey

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:31 AM

has the frame ever been painted?

• rmhrc630

Posted September 27, 2007 - 01:18 PM

V2 - keep up updated as to progress.

Steve is the best.

Something must has changed between the old system and the new one. Electrics in their wisdom are fairly logical

• veetwo tls

Posted September 30, 2007 - 02:36 AM

has the frame ever been painted?

yeh but all earths are good :confused:

• veetwo tls

Posted September 30, 2007 - 02:39 AM

V2 - keep up updated as to progress.

Steve is the best.

Something must has changed between the old system and the new one. Electrics in their wisdom are fairly logical

will do :confused:
i'll be droping into the local this week to see if they got the bike to do the problem again. its just a PITA every time it comes home it does it & at the shop its only done it once.

this one has me F:confused:

• veetwo tls

Posted October 04, 2007 - 10:20 PM

well its been 2 weeks in the shop & i pick it up tomorrow.

they had it play up once a week & 1/2 ago. everything has been checked & all good. so the problem is there but where :confused:
they even put the CDI in the freezer to see if it was that but still all good.

the only other option is to send the whole bike down to steve warnes - BETTA BIKES.

so why it has spark & starts it goes up for sale. :confused: i've had it with this old girl.

i may buy a XR650R if a good one comes up at a good price to company the KTM950SE or i'll sit back & be content with the KTM & see what honda comes up with later.

HMmmm MR HONDA

XRC700R - 750R single 100 kg dry (750cc - 1000cc V TWIN around the 120kg dry)
gear driven cams
adjustable off-set tripple clamp
100/55 w lighting
side access spark plug (not in the front centre as it is :confused:)

• veetwo tls

Posted October 24, 2007 - 09:56 PM

i lost the $4,000AUD sale on my bike due to it failed to start again.

ive had the bike in the shop 4 - 5 times EVERYTHING has been checked & 2nd last time EVERYTHING REPLACED.
the last time the bike had no spark it was at the shop for 2weeks it did,nt start once but after it fired everytime. ive had it home now for near 2 weeks i started the bike last friday it fired up & i let it run for 5-10 min & shut off i tried to start it again yesterday for a buyer & now spark again. *** is going on.

like i said EVERYTHING has been replaced & checked & all read good ?????????

EDIT: well i've had a guts full with this XR its heading to steve at betta bikes in adelaide STH OZ.
just getting it there & back im looking at $100AUD with out the bike looked at.

• veetwo tls

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:36 PM

update
just received a Email from Steve @ BETTA BIKES in south australia

XR 630 has been tested & diagnosed with an open circuit pulsar coil.

:worthy: :worthy: again 4th time now.

:worthy:

• rmhrc630

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:16 PM

update
just received a Email from Steve @ BETTA BIKES in south australia

XR 630 has been tested & diagnosed with an open circuit pulsar coil.

:worthy: :worthy: again 4th time now.

:worthy:

so problem solved?

steve did all my electrics (converting XR628 to e start) and he was flawless

• veetwo tls

Posted November 17, 2007 - 01:44 AM

so problem solved?

steve did all my electrics (converting XR628 to e start) and he was flawless

yep
now its for sale.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.