HELP before my bike catches on fire.

10 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Someone told me to take the metal screen out of my filter cage to get a little bit more power. I took the screen out with pliers and got on Thumpertalk. Now I AM FREAKING OUT. I have read many posts saying the bike could catch on fire and I am riding tommorow. I have a Twin Air filter in it but they say not all are fire resistant. Will my bike go up in flames tommorow?

I ride a 2006 yz450f

• Racer24

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:39 PM

taking off the screen will add the smalllest amout of power. You will definitely not fill any power gain. Yes you increase the chances of setting the filter on fire due engine backfire. I suggest putting it back on

• mj2412

Posted September 09, 2007 - 11:18 PM

I agree, you will not feel any more power. But when you are not able to put it back in, you can buy special fire resistant foam filters from twin air. Additional they are more expensive.

Martin

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:59 AM

just buy the Twin Air fire retardant foam or the TwinAir Powerfilter system- you will be fine....just do not clean filters in gas.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Either replace the screen or buy the flame resistant Twin Air filters. It isn't that the bike will catch fire, but it certainly could if the wrong set of conditions came up.

According to dyno testing, there is no measurable gain from removing the screen on a YZF.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:17 AM

As stated, removing the screen will not give you a noticeable power gain, and if the right conditions occur the filter could catch on fire. This is pretty rare though, especially if the bike is jetted properly. I personally have run normal twin air filters without a screen in the filter cage on all of my fourstrokes for many years and have never had an issue. Hey, I like to live dangerously.

• djtroy

Posted September 10, 2007 - 06:04 PM

So I took it out today and as soon as I kicked it I heard a big bang from the exhaust. I stood besiide the bike waiting for smoke to billow out from under the seats. It was classic.
I noticed today the jetting seemed to a bit more spot on. I was coasting down a hill that would make the bike backfire and pop just a little bit before and now it doesnt do it. Mind you it was very hot today so I assume it was running richer for that reason. I think my bike is jetted good and I run a regular Twin Air filter with Bel Ray foam filter oil. I wash my filters in Twin Air filter cleaner juice and they are cleaned with Simple Green and let dry afterwards.
I cant say I noticed a difference really but the butt dyno says shes pulling strong none the less.
NO FIRE Today.

• 642MX

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:42 PM

According to dyno testing, there is no measurable gain from removing the screen on a YZF.

Exactly. The foam is more restrictive than the screen is. :thumbsup:

• djtroy

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Exactly. The foam is more restrictive than the screen is. :thumbsup:

Is it harder for air to travel through the filter and the screen then just the filter?:ride:

• SpringChicken

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:11 AM

You'll get run over by an angry ram b4 your filter will catch on fire. I agree that taking off the screen doesn't do much and that there is a chance that your filter can catch fire. However those chances are soooo slight. I've had my screen off for 3 years and nothing. Quit scaring the kid.

• djtroy

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:59 AM

You'll get run over by an angry ram b4 your filter will catch on fire. I agree that taking off the screen doesn't do much and that there is a chance that your filter can catch fire. However those chances are soooo slight. I've had my screen off for 3 years and nothing. Quit scaring the kid.

Its funny I was out on the track and out of the corner of my eye all I saw were BIG HORNS coming at me.........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.