My new(to me) XR650L

13 replies to this topic
  • XR_Aaron

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:11 PM

First post here, and awesome site by the way.....I just picked up my dream bike (2001 XR650L) the other day, and just can't get enough of it. It's way different from my old xt225, but I am extremely glad that I went with the honda. I physically outgrew the xt and have been looking for a larger displacement dualsport bike for some time now. I plan to ride about 80% on road, making the xr the ideal bike.

As I said before, this is pretty much my dream bike. Came with white bros. e-series pipe, performance piston and cams (apparently), k&N air filter, rejetted, cycra probends , pro taper bars, and a few other goodies..... I haven't really had a chance to ride it yet since I can't get it safetied for a few days, but my initial impression from just messing around on it: big, loud, and fast :thumbsup:

The bike came with a larger "baja" tank, but I've put the stock one back on until I get it painted up. Here are the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not bad looking, eh? Anyone know of some cheap/fun mods that can be done? I'm pretty set performance mod wise, but am looking for some small projects to do to get familiar with the bike (I'm still a noob). I've heard of removing the smog box to help reduce the popping on deceleration. Where do I find this "smog box"? There's quite a bit of popping on deceleration, but the guy I bought it from said it was just because of the pipe :ride:

I've already thrown on some stickers :bonk: and did the energy drink over piggy back mod. It's main purpose was to distract from the scratched up bodywork but I think it actually looks pretty cool.... heres a pic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Suds

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Welcome and congrats on your new ride. You'll love it.

I just did the smog removal and it definitely helped with the decel popping.
Here's a guide with pics. http://www.4strokes..../honda/xrlsmog/

Enjoy...
Suds

• T-Doshi9

Posted September 10, 2007 - 06:13 AM

yep the smog pump removal is key... plus it makes the motor look better.

• martinfan30

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:38 AM

you may need to rejet with the smog removal. search for "daves mods" here or at 4strokes.

• XR_Aaron

Posted September 10, 2007 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. If I have to re-jet, I think I'll just save the smog box removal for a winter project. From what I've read, I should get better response and less decel popping. If there's a performance gain from removing this, why did Honda put it on in the first place? What will I lose by removing the smog box? I'm assuming it has to do with emission standards in other places...

One more question for the 650l owners: roughly how many kms do you get per tank (stock tank)? I don't think I could just calculate it using the stock mileage because I'm probably getting worse mileage due to the mods that have already been done to the bike. I just don't feel like switching to the reserve and not knowing how long I have to find a gas station...

• martinfan30

Posted September 10, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. If I have to re-jet, I think I'll just save the smog box removal for a winter project. From what I've read, I should get better response and less decel popping. If there's a performance gain from removing this, why did Honda put it on in the first place? What will I lose by removing the smog box? I'm assuming it has to do with emission standards in other places...

One more question for the 650l owners: roughly how many kms do you get per tank (stock tank)? I don't think I could just calculate it using the stock mileage because I'm probably getting worse mileage due to the mods that have already been done to the bike. I just don't feel like switching to the reserve and not knowing how long I have to find a gas station...

smog pump and all is there for emissions purposes. you will lose nothing other than a little weight.

i have to switch to reserve at 90 miles. never ran it dry but i am assuming 115 miles is max. i got better mileage when i did my mods. better even more when i put on my fcr 41 pumper carb!

• hatterasman

Posted September 10, 2007 - 01:14 PM

I switch to reserve depending on how I ride at 90-100. I have ran it dry and martinfan 30 is pretty close 118 miles. That was a cruising week. But I ride to work almost everyday 30 miles round trip unless I want to bring my surfboard with me.

Has anyone tried to modify a rack to hold a surfboard. Would be pretty cool to pop over the dunes with a board and take a session.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted September 10, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Get rid of the red bull can. It will cause the shock to retain more heat and that will reduce the suspension damping.

At Martinfan said the smog pump does not effect performance it only adds weight. Same with the charcoal canister if your Canadian bike even has one. What you really want is "Dave's mods."

• Bibleman

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:35 PM

"Big, loud and fast" it doesn't get much better than that:thumbsup: The Red Bull can is a nice touch too:applause:

• scalejockey

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:39 PM

the "red bull" is great!!! I laughed my arse off.I'd do the same but I ride the big bumps with "race valving" and heat is a big problem on shock fade.

• XR_Aaron

Posted September 11, 2007 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up with the can guys. Right now I'll be riding mostly street so I'll just keep an eye on it. If it ever gets too warm or if I take the bike off road, I'll be sure to rip that can off....

• YetiX

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:05 AM

Has anyone tried to modify a rack to hold a surfboard. Would be pretty cool to pop over the dunes with a board and take a session.

A guy down here in San Diego, Craig Hammon, has done it and takes his board down to Baja all the time. Check out this thread from SDAR: http://www.dualsport...wtopic=1149&hl=

• XR_Aaron

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:35 AM

A guy down here in San Diego, Craig Hammon, has done it and takes his board down to Baja all the time. Check out this thread from SDAR: http://www.dualsport...wtopic=1149&hl=

Way cool! No surf in ontario though :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:57 AM

ya i'm out too!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.