Hard starting XR600R

19 replies to this topic
  • reckone

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Just picked up a 86' XR600R a few days ago. The bike was sitting for 2 years. I cleaned out the carb and jets. Put a new plug in it and some 93 octane gas. The bike would only fire maybe twice out of an hour of kicking it over. I decided to push start it instead. It started right up on the first push.

The bike runs good and idels great. I did notice that when you snap the throttle quick it kinda bogs. I checked the spark, and it looks kinda weak. Is there anything that I could do to get it started easier? mY buddies 85' 650R starts up on the 1st kick :thumbsup: .

Thanks in advance!

• LeXRider

Posted September 09, 2007 - 11:22 PM

I've got a '94 XR600R and have had many XRs in the past and to some degree they all stumbled a little bit when you really wing the throttle open. About it being hard to start, it could be a worn cam chain guide. I don't know how many miles or on your bike but after about 10K the guide is worn out. This slakens the chain and effects your cam timeing and results in hard starting(and a few other things). You can tell if your bike has this condition by listening to the top end when it's running. If there is a lot of ticking and clicking that coresponds with the engine stumbleing a little bit, it's shot. Also, what's the air cleaner look like? Is it packed with crud? By the way you picked a great bike! XRs are nothing but fun, good luck.

• scalejockey

Posted September 10, 2007 - 05:11 AM

Double check the float level and pilot jets,cam chain & guides valve clearance(s) air gap on the pulse coil,do a leak down test of the cyl,ohms test on the spark plug cap,fresh gas.yada yada yada.............BUT FIRST!!!..put a new plug in. Don't just look at to see if it's ok toss it put a new one in.

• reckone

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I will pick a new plug up today for it. The bike runs good, don't hear t much engine noise. I just picked this thing up for $500, so I am happy it runs. The air filter looks brand new. I am going to take it out today and clean/oil it anyways though.

• timothypg

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:50 AM

I've got an 86. On the linkage that connects the two carbs there is a tab to the secondary, i bent mine so the secondary opens the same as primary. Stock there was a small amount of lag on the secondary w/ mine. I have absolutely no bog and it made a noticable difference for me. I took them off to make things much easier to do.

• pearblossomal

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Check the resistence values of the stator windings.

The stator on the 83-84 XR500 & 85-90 XR600 was a weak point. When it went bad the bikes were hard to start, run like crud after warmed up, etc. I went through a few stators on my '84 XR-500 before I put a '91-up unit in and no problems since.

• martinfan30

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:16 AM

The stator on the 83-84 XR500 & 85-90 XR600 was a weak point. When it went bad the bikes were hard to start, run like crud after warmed up, etc. I went through a few stators on my '84 XR-500 before I put a '91-up unit in and no problems since.

i'd bet this is your problem.

• IBMcpa

Posted September 10, 2007 - 12:54 PM

how does one do this and what should the ohmeter read?

• martinfan30

Posted September 10, 2007 - 01:11 PM

http://www.thumperta...ator resistance
read this post.

• reckone

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:58 PM

i'd bet this is your problem.

This what I was thinking. So the 91 up stator works fine on the 86 correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • reckone

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:12 PM

read this post.

What would be considered to high of a resistance in the stator?

• pearblossomal

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:00 AM

230 - 320 ohms per the book. The '91 works, case grommet is different so the early grommet is used, '91 has a floating lighting coil which is minor to deal with. Info on rewinding excitor coil:

http://justxr.com/jaw/stator.html

• reckone

Posted September 11, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the link. That almost makes me want to try rewinding the coil.

• IBMcpa

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:08 AM

read this post.

thanks!

• cleonard

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the link. That almost makes me want to try rewinding the coil.

I rewound mine almost 3 years ago and it is still sparking strong. I used 33 gauge wire. It's hard to get as many turns hand winding as the stock machine wind, but my bike still starts great.

• pressurefreak

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:45 AM

I have an 87 and same situation it sat for 2 years and had to be bump started. thorugh cleaning of carb and gas tank/petcock required. I also went and checked the specs for float level, which postion the clip was on the needle. There are two carbs so twice amount of things that can go wrong. Mine had the carb bowls on backwards so the choke circuit was not working, switched them and fresh gas, fresh spark plug and a particular start routine for me and she fires on the first or second kick now.

Cold start-full choke- fuel on -hold compression release turn it over 8-10 times let off compression release and kick through, no throttle, kick it a second time ans hse starts frine. lent it to a friedn to ride he called me from up north and said hed been kicking it for over an hour and gave up. So i talked him threw it and bang it fired. Goodluck and let us know what you have found out. im still on the original stator and mines been punched once over and has a high compression piston running 97 octane and still pulls strong i agree about the cam chain and tensioner.

• reckone

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Started the bike up a few times today. It seems like its getting better. It fires on the 3rd or 4th kick now. Still takes a few kicks before it stays running.

• martinfan30

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Started the bike up a few times today. It seems like its getting better. It fires on the 3rd or 4th kick now. Still takes a few kicks before it stays running.

you may be too lean on the pilot circuit also.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 12, 2007 - 01:47 AM

I'll bet it's the stator.

Rewind time. Especially on a bike of that vintage. The stator is soaked in oil and the heat really canes the windings

• HooN

Posted November 18, 2007 - 07:03 PM

XR600 92 just rebuild top end after butterfly choke did its thing!!!!Starts first time! sometimes and sometimes it takes 40 bloody kicks? any ideas? Runs well when it goes but has a slight miss when idleing, slow rev up ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.