Race Vegas to Reno on an XR650L???

11 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Race Vegas to Reno on an XR650L???

Anyone done it?

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Haven't done it on an L, but sure, why not? Of course there are better bike choices, like your GasGas 250 shown in your signature, but a decently set up L (good suspension, tank, bars) would handle it just fine if that's all ya got. I have an L set up like that and have done V2R a couple times.

• Rideaide

Posted September 12, 2007 - 03:29 PM

The XR650L is not a bad choice for a long ride as The Barstow to Vegas. You may need to customize the bike to make it more worthy for the ride. You will need a heavy duty skid plate, Heavy Duty pegs, Fork and shock springs depending on your weight, a good exhaust system, the carb mod. There are also billet racks for the rear for luggage or gear and even a softer seat foam for long rides. There are other bike choices, but the XR650L is the most reliable I know.:thumbsup: :ride:

• 57thMETALHEAD

Posted July 07, 2008 - 10:39 PM

Man that just sounds like fun. maybe we should get a big group from TT going there in a year or two?

• Denn10

Posted July 07, 2008 - 10:53 PM

thats crazy to take a bike like the L and try such a brutal race like that. now ive raced a bit of desert and it can be done but the L would need alot of upgrading, its gonna be brutally hot and the air cooled will be the hardest thing on the bike. just my opinion but if you wanna use the L for rides pick another race than the 400 mile VtoR race

• WR TOM

Posted July 08, 2008 - 06:47 AM

Man that just sounds like fun. maybe we should get a big group from TT going there in a year or two?

:thumbsup: :p Could be done:excuseme: :cry: Concentrate all efforts on the suspension & your pace could be faster, thus benefitting the air cooled motor?:worthy: :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:42 AM

I have no question an XRL would be a good bike to DO it on, but I wouldn't consider doing so RACING.

But if you keep a good pace and preserve your energy, I even bet you wouldn't be last.

Dave

• cmpbaja

Posted July 08, 2008 - 10:18 AM

The L is going to be way heavy for a race like that. How many ppl will be racing the bike with you? If you are going to do it make sure the suspention is set up right. Good luck. Take pictures, you may have time when you stop to curse that heavy bike!!!

• martinfan30

Posted July 08, 2008 - 02:53 PM

A big fin kit and oil cooler would be a must. Other than the suspension and other typical mods.

• Bandit9

Posted November 21, 2009 - 11:19 AM

Sorry for the delay, a new baby boy and starting a business happened......

I would never seriously "race" a 650L in anything. I'm pretty much retired now from racing. I just like doing long distance stuff. Being in La. it is hard to find any type of long distance race like out west. So I have access to a 650L that I think would be fine for just cruising from start to finish. I really don't care about the podium, just the personal challenge and adventure of riding a marked course through the desert from Vegas to Reno, without getting run over by a trophy truck. Not living out west, it is a pain to figure out where to ride and stuff, so signing up for a marked race is always the best option to satisfy my Western desert riding fantasies. Paramedics are usually not to far away. It really isn't a bad deal. I would be solo on the bike, but have the usual pit babe (wife) for gas stops. She is good at that. Refuses to turn a wrench, but has good sandwiches and is usually there when I show up. Also listening to her tell me how stupid I am all the way home is also a bonus. Was looking at Baja, but things are nuts down there right now. Not ready to die or watch my wife be raped at gunpoint. Just want to ride in the desert for 30 hours straight.

I guess just about any bike would be ok for that purpose. But a 650L would probably be the most comfortable. And it is free.

• scarty111

Posted November 21, 2009 - 01:20 PM

The XR650L is not a bad choice for a long ride as The Barstow to Vegas. You may need to customize the bike to make it more worthy for the ride. You will need a heavy duty skid plate, Heavy Duty pegs, Fork and shock springs depending on your weight, a good exhaust system, the carb mod. There are also billet racks for the rear for luggage or gear and even a softer seat foam for long rides. There are other bike choices, but the XR650L is the most reliable I know.:excuseme: :bonk:

Kinda like this!
Posted ImagePosted Image

• Captain Midnight

Posted November 22, 2009 - 01:11 PM

I raced the Washington State Desert 100 five times on this thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.