YZ426 Gearing - Confused?

6 replies to this topic
  • maz13b

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:14 PM

I have a '00' YZ426 (444 Bore Kit) with stock 14/49 sprockets.

Ive been reading thread after thread on 426 gearing and most seem to be running 14/52 gearing or similar... which will give you more bottom end- correct?

Now where im confused is i feel my bike runs out of legs to quickly, bottom end power is great i love it but in top gear i cant stretch it out to much.. i ride with wr450's and on the long straights i always fall back cause motor seems to be reving to high.

We ride in pine forrests on dirt trails, rocky hill climbs, etc.

So im thinking i have to go down a couple teeth in the rear to get more top end or maybe up one tooth on the front- Does this sound right?

Keeping in mind i dont want to loose my bottom end :thumbsup: just want a little more up top.

Cheers

• kenr74

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:31 PM

What I have heard is that 3 teeth in the back is similar to 1 in the front. I'm not sure what my 426 is geared at but I sure wouldn't want it to be any faster.

• Birdy426

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:54 PM

You are correct...14/52 will give you more bottom and less top.

When I installed the big bore kit on my 01 WR, I found that there was actually too much bottom end...if I just crack the throttle on single track, the back end would bust loose. Granted it's a WR and the internal ratios are different.

Anyway, I went up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and it made all of the ratios feel a lot more "right" It has significantly more top end than my riding partner's YZ426's

If you are starting with 14/49 gearing, that would be like going down 4 teeth on the rear sprocket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maz13b

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:16 PM

You are correct...14/52 will give you more bottom and less top.

When I installed the big bore kit on my 01 WR, I found that there was actually too much bottom end...if I just crack the throttle on single track, the back end would bust loose. Granted it's a WR and the internal ratios are different.

Anyway, I went up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and it made all of the ratios feel a lot more "right" It has significantly more top end than my riding partner's YZ426's

If you are starting with 14/49 gearing, that would be like going down 4 teeth on the rear sprocket.

Yes you are correct, with the big bore kit traction down low is much worse.. i think i might try the 15/49.. do you think it will still be agressive down low?

Thanks

• gsk1968

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Kinda like "can I have my cake and eat it too?" Take the number of teeth on the back sprocket and divide by the number of the front.
Xample 48 div by 14 = 3.43 good top end or 52 div by 13 = 4.00 good bottom end. If you want a happy medium try 14 and 52 = 3.71 and so on.
the front turns 3.71 times to 1 turn of the back, this is your gear ratio.
the higher the ratio the lower the gear = bottom end torq
the lower the ratio the higher the gear = top end speed
This is why the trick bikes have monster spockets on the back...
Just dont try a 12 on front of 01 426, even a narrow(cheap) chain scrubs the case.Requires spacers which offset chain which = more wear. god luck

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Ive been reading thread after thread on 426 gearing and most seem to be running 14/52 gearing or similar...

That's because most of the threads on the subject start out with a question about gearing for the woods. If the question went to desert gearing, or civilizing a 444, the responses would be different.

And yes, 3 at the rear is very close to 1 at the front when you mention gearing in this range.

• maz13b

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:20 PM

No Probs. Thanks all

Il try a 15/49 as mentioned, just hope it dosnt loose too much botom end.

If it does il prob then change to a 15/50 or 15/51.

Cheers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.