My 07 YZ450 is acting weird....

14 replies to this topic
  • WB450

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:52 PM

I haven't rode it for a while ( 2 + months), but I've been starting it in the garage once a week, so a couple of weeks back it won't start at all. I pulled the plug and checked for spark, it was good so I put it all back together and it fired right up. A week later the exact same thing. I take it out Saturday and it was a little hard to start, but if fired up and all seemed good. I rode for a bout 8 minuted to warm it up and check the oil all of a sudden it died. It was like it lost the electrical. I do the spark plug thing, and it fired up on the first kick, I put it together and rode it for the rest of the day with no problems. Any ideas on what could be going on?

I would appreciate any thoughts about what may going on.

Thanks.

• CRF250dude26

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:53 PM

I haven't rode it for a while ( 2 + months), but I've been starting it in the garage once a week, so a couple of weeks back it won't start at all. I pulled the plug and checked for spark, it was good so I put it all back together and it fired right up. A week later the exact same thing. I take it out Saturday and it was a little hard to start, but if fired up and all seemed good. I rode for a bout 8 minuted to warm it up and check the oil all of a sudden it died. It was like it lost the electrical. I do the spark plug thing, and it fired up on the first kick, I put it together and rode it for the rest of the day with no problems. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks.

Have you changed the plug or just pulled it and looked at it?

• WB450

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:00 PM

I changed it, I know I'm going to get the Valves!, but It started first or second kick before it deiced to turn 100+ here.

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 10, 2007 - 03:21 AM

Thanks.

Almost sounds like you have some water in the fuel. Try a few capfulls of drygas to rule out moisture in the fuel.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:56 AM

WB did you drain the carb or let the gas sit in it?
New gas or old gas in tank ?

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:01 AM

WB did you drain the carb or let the gas sit in it?
New gas or old gas in tank ?

It's new gas with sta-bil in it. I didn't drain the tank or the carb, but I added some sta-bil to it when I knew it was going to sit.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:56 AM

That zipty carb may not like sta-bil....
try some new fresh gas first - see if it goes back to normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:52 AM

That zipty carb may not like sta-bil....
try some new fresh gas first - see if it goes back to normal.

I was wondering about the sta-bil also, after I pulled the plug and kicked it over a few times and put it back together it ran fine the rest of the day. At what point do you add some fuel stabilizer to your fuel?

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:54 AM

Never.

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:08 AM

Never.

What does it do to the bike?

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:45 AM

If used in too high a concentration, I'd assume that it would modify the combustion characteristics of the fuel.

My deal is that the bikes never get stored long enough for it to be a problem. Mine sat for two months once while I was recuperating with no problems whatsoever. There's just too little fuel in the system to concern myself over protecting its quality.

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:54 AM

If used in too high a concentration, I'd assume that it would modify the combustion characteristics of the fuel.

My deal is that the bikes never get stored long enough for it to be a problem. Mine sat for two months once while I was recuperating with no problems whatsoever. There's just too little fuel in the system to concern myself over protecting its quality.

Thanks, I'm thinking that's my problem.

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Well guys thanks for all of the ideas, but this is what I found tonight when I dove in to it. I was going to drain the gas and dump in fresh, so put the gas line in a can and turned the petcock and nothing, I turned the gas cap and I hear glug, glug. I pulled the cap and pulled out the insert and tried to blow through the vent hole, guess what, there was no hole. I drilled out and put the cap back on and the gas flowed like a river. Easy fix, but for $200.00 there should have a vent hole IMO.:ride: :bonk: :eek: :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Did we forget to mention that we just installed an aftermarket tank? Yes, I believe we did. :ride:

Oh, well, maybe it wasn't important. :thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Did we forget to mention that we just installed an aftermarket tank? Yes, I believe we did. :eek:

Oh, well, maybe it wasn't important. :thumbsup:

:eek: :eek: :ride: :bonk:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.