Question on gearing... (13/50)

18 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 09, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Here's the deal, I am an enduro rider that enjoys somewhat techical terrain (hill, rocks, etc...) Mostly, I ride in Johnson Valley, Red Mountain and Big Bear if you guys know the areas.

I have a 05 wr450 and I changed my gearing from 14/50 to 13/50. I've now got bottom end torque that is unbelievable. Running slightly higher rpms is also where the yamaha's like to be.

But I fear I now may have too much bottom end. Gone is the gentle giant and I now have a more agressive , wheel spinning, wheelie monster.

I can and will probably learn to adjust to it, but...

would I have been better off with 14/52 or should I just go to 13/48 to settle it down a bit. I kinda liked the gentle giant that it was. I wanted a little more, but maybe not that much more.

• clark4131

Posted September 09, 2007 - 03:21 PM

I ride the same type of terrain with 13/49 and it's perfect for me...SC

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Clark, I'm running a 14/50 and am riding in NorCal (Carnegie/Hollister mostly)--still new to this environment, but it seems I'm either at the high end of 2nd gear (straining), but when I hit 3rd gear it quickly starts to bog...so if i go to 3rd its a short stay there before I'm having to downshift...will the 13/49 set up make it better?

Thank you sir...Regards, KS

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Clark, I'm running a 14/50 and am riding in NorCal (Carnegie/Hollister mostly)--still new to this environment, but it seems I'm either at the high end of 2nd gear (straining), but when I hit 3rd gear it quickly starts to bog...so if i go to 3rd its a short stay there before I'm having to downshift...will the 13/49 set up make it better?

Thank you sir...Regards, KS

Kahuku, the problem you describe is exactly the one I was trying to solve. I'm a little too fast for 2nd, but not quite fast enough for 3rd. I was clicking the shifter all the time.

Putting the 13 tooth counter on brought my rpms up so it removed the bog. Apparently, these WR's really like to rev. It pulls very strongly now when in third, which I find myself riding in a lot more now. (btw... I cannot tell any loss of top end speed)

However, it does spin the wheel more and tends to want to wheelie when agressively attacking steep hills. Its not too bad but I have to be really careful with the right hand and hold a steady throttle when turning.

I think I am going down a tooth on the rear to tame it just a bit. Nonetheless, its a lot better with the 13 counter than the 14. I'm not going back to the 14 tooth counter no matter what.

• BajaFool

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Maurice,
I ride desert in Ocotillo Wells and mountain trails inUtah and Tecate south into Baja. I geared my 2003 and my 2006 14/52 for exactly the same reason that you want to change your gearing. I chose that ratio because I thought that 13/50 would result in a too low 1st gear and not enough top speed in 5th gear. I find that a 14/52 ratio works really well from ugly, rocky single track to wide open pavement. Remember one tooth smaller on the drive sprocket is approx. 4 teeth larger on the rear sprocket.

• clark4131

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I went through several combinations before I settled on the 13/49. I too was in the same boat needing a gear between 2nd and 3rd. The 13/50, though very close, seemed too harsh. Dropping the rear sprocket down one tooth, took that away. I have a lot of log crossings where I ride, and the 13/48 was good, but when you start getting tired, that one extra tooth in the back makes a big difference when you want to loft the front wheel. I've included a ratio chart to give you an idea of where you may want to be...SC

Attached Files

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted September 10, 2007 - 03:45 PM

thanks to all...I love this forum!

• Dan250

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:49 PM

Has anyone gone up + 1 or + 2 on the rear sprocket on the stock chain, while chain is still almost new I'd like to try this.

• AnthonyB

Posted September 10, 2007 - 09:57 PM

@ mauricedorris

If you find the 13/50 combination too much against a 14/50, then clearly the 13/48 will be smack bang in the middle;
[COLOR="Blue"]13 50 3.85[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"]13 48 3.69[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]14 50 3.57[/COLOR]

My preference however would be to tweak the motor and go to a 15 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 11, 2007 - 05:21 PM

@ mauricedorris

If you find the 13/50 combination too much against a 14/50, then clearly the 13/48 will be smack bang in the middle;
[COLOR="Blue"]13 50 3.85[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"]13 48 3.69[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]14 50 3.57[/COLOR]

My preference however would be to tweak the motor and go to a 15 :thumbsup:

Yep, its right in the middle. I have already ordered a new sprocket? I am hoping that my stock chain will work.

What do you mean tweak the motor and go up to a 15? That would make it much taller gearing and I would have to work it too hard to climb some of the hills that I like to ride.

• AnthonyB

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:08 PM

What do you mean tweak the motor and go up to a 15? That would make it much taller gearing and I would have to work it too hard to climb some of the hills that I like to ride.

Once that motor of yours has been "uncorked", you can put that additional power to good use, (other than simply spinning the back wheel :ride: ) ... I'd suggest the "free mod's" to whet your appetite for more :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:15 PM

Once that motor of yours has been "uncorked", you can put that additional power to good use, (other than simply spinning the back wheel :bonk: ) ... I'd suggest the "free mod's" to whet your appetite for more :thumbsup:

I already have it uncorked, rejetted and piped appropriately. :ride:

You must be riding on the highway or something. But if you were riding the rocky trails at big bear or cougar buttes, you'd never make it with a 15 tooth counter without burning up your clutch.

• AnthonyB

Posted September 11, 2007 - 11:42 PM

Admittedly I do ride on the roads as well. It's roughly two kilometers of tarred road to get to where we go riding, which is a +-10Km wide by some 70Km long open section of mixed mountain, rock, loose sand and a few river crossings to boot ... This is Africa!
I've found my bike pulls like a tractor at the bottom, and whilst its power just keeps on coming, I don't feel the need to wind it up at 12K, (even tho' I grew up on two smokes) ... I s'pose it depends on what you're comfortable with / your riding style.

• Pat Jackson

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:55 AM

Might try a flywheel weight to calm it down a bit.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 13, 2007 - 09:44 PM

Admittedly I do ride on the roads as well. It's roughly two kilometers of tarred road to get to where we go riding, which is a +-10Km wide by some 70Km long open section of mixed mountain, rock, loose sand and a few river crossings to boot ... This is Africa!
I've found my bike pulls like a tractor at the bottom, and whilst its power just keeps on coming, I don't feel the need to wind it up at 12K, (even tho' I grew up on two smokes) ... I s'pose it depends on what you're comfortable with / your riding style.

Interesting. But you'll rarely get out of third gear in the places I like to ride. Its mostly first and second gear stuff.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 13, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Might try a flywheel weight to calm it down a bit.

Thats a possibility, but the FWW on the WR is already pretty heavy...at least when compared to the YZf.

• muffinman

Posted September 13, 2007 - 10:17 PM

i ride 2 wr 250's and have found the best combo to be 13/49 seems to offer best amount of lift, and right amount of wheelspin.:thumbsup:

• bandit99

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:13 AM

I have been thinking of gearing and what putting a taller gear like a 15/50 or 15/48 would do. I never use 1st gear unless I am just starting out. By making the gears taller I can extend second gear and ride in that longer than riding in 3rd gear. Has anyone tried that route?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 14, 2007 - 03:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing but went the other way. Instead of extending my gears up, I extended them down. Instead of using 2nd instead of third, I choose to use 2nd instead of first. Instead of 3rd instead of 4th, I use 3rd instead of second.

Gearding down does that and gives you excellent pull to reduce downshifting. I have now realized that the wr really loves that upper rpm range. You are always in that "sweet spot"

As far as top end... even with the 13/50 gearing, wfo in 5th is way to damn fast for me. Besides, if I wanted to cruise at 75mph all day, I'd take the street bike out to the super slab.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.