Changing gear

7 replies to this topic
  • mightymart

Posted September 09, 2007 - 03:30 AM

Do you use the clutch to change up & down the gears ? A friend of mine has A WR450 & doesnt not use the clutch to change up & down the gears but I have tried it & when in very low gears its really hard to change.

• fishpost19

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:15 AM

Do you use the clutch to change up & down the gears ? A friend of mine has A WR450 & doesnt not use the clutch to change up & down the gears but I have tried it & when in very low gears its really hard to change.

Usually I use the clutch to change up and down, but if I'm lazy, I'll just let the throttle off, shift up, and throttle on again (all fairly quickly of course). I always use the clutch to downshift. This is especially useful on the street so the rear wheel doesn't lock up and skid. I can let the engine speed match the gearbox by blipping the throttle with the clutch in while downshifting- you know, "rev up on change down"- and braking at the same time.

I learnt this trick when I first learnt to ride when I was about 7yo. Dad told me it, he used to do it when racing (in the 'olden days') to save time.

• wheelnut46

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:13 AM

Does not clutching damage the trans? Effect longevity?

• goblin127

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:37 AM

Bent shifting fork.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PPG Real Estate

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:38 AM

i never shift with the clutch

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 09, 2007 - 08:26 AM

You have to "go by feel" on clutchless shifting. Oftentimes, you can snick it into the next gear, and it is effortless, and smooth. If I try this and I feel resistance, I clutch.

90% of the time I clutch, just thru force of habit. But in tight spots, or as was mentioned, if I am lazy and the drivetrain isn't under load, I will forgo the clutch.

• mightymart

Posted September 09, 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks guys,
I must admit I have only used my XR on the road as I only got it this week (Can't wait to get on the dirt !) Also I also found that I used the clutch 90% of time but when booting it off I seem to go in to motocross mode & completely forgot about the clutch but only then did it slip in to gear nice.

• martinfan30

Posted September 09, 2007 - 01:06 PM

if done incorrectly repeatedly.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.