How to: Set up New Yz450!!!!!

2 replies to this topic
  • jakem707

Posted September 08, 2007 - 09:00 PM

Men,

Thank you for your insight. With it I've chose to become a owner of a new [COLOR="Blue"]07 Yz450[/COLOR] Special Edition

Now before I ride I need to set it up

I need help with the fallowing:

Suspension Sag set/adjust?(the manual is'nt clear on this)
  • Suspension all around setup/rebound?
  • Suspension rebound and ???
  • Handlebar position for me a 6'1" Tall
  • Where to buy taller bar mounts or Taller bars?
  • Any other set-up suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted September 08, 2007 - 09:30 PM

first off you have to ride the bike for a bit and let the suspension settle in before you can set the sag, next, you're not that much taller than the average rider so the stock setup might be fine, but if it isn't, it'd be better to ride the bike and find out how bad it is for you before you start buying stuff you might not need.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:35 AM

Setting the rear sag

Using the sag to check the spring rate

Basic suspension set up

The suspension will "break in", but the springs won't really "settle" appreciably, so set the sag. It won't be the last time you have to set it, anyway. You'll find it changes with heat, and even major changes in altitude. Which is why you should recheck it immediately after riding the bike hard for 30 minutes or so.

You may not be "that tall", but you're most likely too tall for the stock bars. I'd advise a set of Pro Taper "Windham" bars. These feel OK to me on this bike, and I'm only 5'10".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.