'05 Yz450f?

4 replies to this topic
  • mike_dean

Posted September 08, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I have the chance to buy a little used '05 YZ450F, what are common problems and what should I look for? Does this year have any handling problems? I'm very partial to yamahas but know nothing about later models. Thanks, Mike

• Ga426owner

Posted September 08, 2007 - 05:50 PM

I have the chance to buy a little used '05 YZ450F, what are common problems and what should I look for? Does this year have any handling problems? I'm very partial to yamahas but know nothing about later models. Thanks, Mike

The 05 is bullet proof as most every 400/426/450 yami are....with proper maintenance
the 05 is a great bike, but it does not corner that well without help. Either a Storm Link or offset clamps will make it easier to turn. The center of gravity is higher, Suspension is decent but requires revalving and respringing if you are aggressive or over 200lbs. The 06 is a better choice if the prices are close. Power is better, smoother and handling/cornering and suspension are better...and it feels 20lbs lighter while riding it:thumbsup:
With used MX bike prices in the toilet....get the newest bike you can afford.
Both are good...but the 06 is new generation :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Everything said above is completely true. However, for perspective, realize that the '05 is significantly lighter, handles better, and has much better suspension than the 426 you have now, and will seem a huge improvement. The '05 has a considerably different power delivery than the earlier models, too. The fat part is at higher rpms than it is in an '03, so the low end seems soft to many people.

If the price is very low, then it'll be a good buy. But if there's not that much difference, take the advice given above.

• Butta

Posted September 09, 2007 - 09:32 AM

Everything said above is completely true. However, for perspective, realize that the '05 is significantly lighter, handles better, and has much better suspension than the 426 you have now, and will seem a huge improvement. The '05 has a considerably different power delivery than the earlier models, too. The fat part is at higher rpms than it is in an '03, so the low end seems soft to many people.

If the price is very low, then it'll be a good buy. But if there's not that much difference, take the advice given above.

I agree whole heartedly here. I upgraded from a '99 400 to my '05 450.....man, what a difference!!! It's all about what you are used to. I have nearly 100 hours on my 450 and have yet to re-do the suspension. I have drastically improved my riding skills on this bike, and it's never let me down. Even being way heavy for the stock setup, the amount of abuse the suspension will absorb is amazing. I have hit things and overjumped sometimes when I thought I was a goner....but the bike handled it without any nasty responses...very smooth and predictable.

Would I benefit from a newer one?? Yep, no doubt, but what I don't know won't hurt me (meaning I will resist any test rides on the '08's............might be an expensive ride!!!)

• mike_dean

Posted September 09, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I can get it for $3000, and supposed to have only 1 yr on it, was new last summer, and looks perfect. I have not seen any '06 for sale, and I'm getting a little too old to pick up that 426, even though it is a good bike yet. Thanks for the info, Mike

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.