Fixed My Turning Issues On The 07!

75 replies to this topic
  • chevyoffroadzr2

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:14 AM

Yeah Im getting ready to purchase some 24mm clamps. From BTO which one do I purchase, got a couple different options. Im all stock...
http://www.btosports.com/p/ARFCKY

• steve 112

Posted October 15, 2007 - 03:21 PM

I assume you have an 07?If so I got the "07/08 yzf250/yzf450 24mm oversized rubber "

The stock bars are oversized so you can just bolt the stock bars right back up.the rubber is rubbermounted uses cr 250/450 rubbers or you can get the rubbers from them which are (firmer as stated) or just order set from a honda dealer

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:54 PM

02yz426, how much did you pay for these offset clamps. im thinking about the 22 mm because i love the really knife sharp turning! what brand did you buy also?

Thanks
Ryan

• wes782

Posted October 15, 2007 - 10:28 PM

what do you have to do to get the stem in?

• 02YZ426

Posted October 16, 2007 - 03:03 AM

02yz426, how much did you pay for these offset clamps. im thinking about the 22 mm because i love the really knife sharp turning! what brand did you buy also?

Thanks
Ryan

Can't remember what I paid, but I bought them from BTO Sports. They are the Applied ones with rubber mount.

• Mfinazzo

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:09 AM

what do you have to do to get the stem in?

Take it to a dealer or machine shop. Have them install the lower bearing as well. Trust me when I say it's worth what ever they charge you.

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:48 AM

If you have access to, and experience with a hydraulic press, it's a simple procedure that takes no more than 15 minutes. If you don't have some working knowledge of press work, there is a potential to mess up some expensive stuff rather badly, or, as always with a press, hurt yourself seriously.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...066#post4985066

...and:

http://www.thumperta...282#post3370282

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:06 AM

Can't remember what I paid, but I bought them from BTO Sports. They are the Applied ones with rubber mount.

why did you choose the rubber mount and not the solid, as stock is

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted October 16, 2007 - 01:39 PM

why did you choose the rubber mount and not the solid, as stock is

I went with the rubber mount because I have problems with my hands going numb. It was an easy choice, kill 2 birds with one stone.. rubber mount and offset change.

• rideawn

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Where did you e axle owners find the best deal?

• MX4Life

Posted October 31, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Right here at TT:thumbsup:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I went with the rubber mount because I have problems with my hands going numb. It was an easy choice, kill 2 birds with one stone.. rubber mount and offset change.

the applieds are definitely nice, but you can do even more for the bars by adding a set of the moose handguards. they add a huge amount of damping to the bar ends.

http://shop.thumpert...2007/s2_591.jpg

• 02YZ426

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:01 PM

the applieds are definitely nice, but you can do even more for the bars by adding a set of the moose handguards. they add a huge amount of damping to the bar ends.

http://shop.thumpert...2007/s2_591.jpg

I wish they would work with my fastco bars :worthy:

• HMMRDWN

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:13 PM

I have 27mm ones. I wonder what would happen?

• runester

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:56 PM

[COLOR="Red"]No, because since they both accomplish the same thing, they both have the same trade-offs. But buying the axle is a whole lot easier way to find out if you like a particular offset than clamps are, in any case. If you're on the fence, start there.[/COLOR]

Ordered the e-axle today 199.00 shipped, I am anxious to try this badboy out what sucks is I have a 6-8 weeks until my clavicle heals, but the choice was easy w/this one...Thanks again Gray for your clear, concise insights and fact based commentary...when I do get back in the saddle I will post my thoughts on the axle.
Until then I shall live vicariously through my 9 yr old kid who is doing a mini class fall series and gets to ride 3 - 4 days a week!!!

O.K.,
I am back...I actually started riding a couple of weeks back on my yz125 smoker...I must say that I missed that 450...the grunt and sheer brute force of that bike compared to my 2 strokes is unbelievable...anyway, took me about 45 minutes this morning to get the axle installed and I gotta say its a snap, I think reading the instructions made it take longer to be honest...took it up to AVmotoplex today to check out the axle, first off, I crashed again a couple of weeks back on the 125 due to a thrashed front tire...the front end washed out on me and went down hard, thought I broke the other side clavical for a minute but as it were I just sprained my thumb real bad and my right thigh was bruised from top to bottom...my thumb is still very painful so I didnt push it as hard as I would have liked also all these recent crashes have me a little gunshy but not so much that I didnt notice the differance with the axle.
All B.S. aside the differance was just astonishing!!!! For me personally that bike just did not handle well at all...and as I wrote earlier it really took alot of the fun out of riding because I would find myself concentrating way too much and just not able to "flow"... I really had to watch it. So I did the fork drop in the trples and that caused alot of front end shake, especially landing from big jumps...BUT, this axle is the ticket. The bike really feels perfect now, seriously confidance inspiring!!!!
First off the install was simple...first the disc side bushing goes in, the right side bushing is permanantly attached to the axle...you put in thier spacers... slide the axle through, tap the right side in to the foot..The only thing that is different than the normal axle install is lining up the axle notch with the disc side bushing which has a small allen screw in it so the axle stays lined up on both sides. To adjust the offset you just loosen the 12 mm bolt on the end of the axle and the four 10 mm fork pinch bolts, then, w/a 10mm wrench or a 6mm or so allen wrench or metal rod you just twist the axle to a neg or pos. position. then tighten the axle bolt and pinch bolts and your good to go.
I am at about 2mm neg offset and In all honesty this process takes maybe 5 minutes at the track...its that easy. One concern I had initially was the size of the axle, its pretty small but the bushings and spacers take the load and they are standard size and strength. I felt like I was on a differant bike completey. This is in my opinion the very best 200 bucks I have ever spent!!!! This bike costed me a little over 6 grand, and as much as I love(d) it the steering issue was a very big bummer...it is gone and I am happy. If you have been on the fence about this mod let me tell you it is much cheaper than buying the 08 (which is what I was ready to do)

Rune

• djtroy

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:26 PM

My thoughts exactly. Im keeping my 06 thanks to the Rekluse E Axle. I just spent another $1500 to freshen up the rims, graphics, carbon fiber goodies and an SDG tall seat.
Love this thing now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.