Fixed My Turning Issues On The 07!

75 replies to this topic
  • runester

Posted October 04, 2007 - 04:38 PM

[COLOR="Red"]No, because since they both accomplish the same thing, they both have the same trade-offs. But buying the axle is a whole lot easier way to find out if you like a particular offset than clamps are, in any case. If you're on the fence, start there.[/COLOR]

Ordered the e-axle today 199.00 shipped, I am anxious to try this badboy out what sucks is I have a 6-8 weeks until my clavicle heals, but the choice was easy w/this one...Thanks again Gray for your clear, concise insights and fact based commentary...when I do get back in the saddle I will post my thoughts on the axle.
Until then I shall live vicariously through my 9 yr old kid who is doing a mini class fall series and gets to ride 3 - 4 days a week!!!

• unpride

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Okay I have read everything everyone has to say and its alot of info. What would be the best way to go the axle or the triple clamps? Just trying to make a hard decision easier

• 02YZ426

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Okay I have read everything everyone has to say and its alot of info. What would be the best way to go the axle or the triple clamps? Just trying to make a hard decision easier

How often do you think you will be adjusting your offset? I would think once you find where you like it, you won't ever need to change it again. I went with the clamps and I'm happy with the change.. can't really see the need for the axle.

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:28 PM

How often do you think you will be adjusting your offset? I would think once you find where you like it, you won't ever need to change it again. I went with the clamps and I'm happy with the change.. can't really see the need for the axle.

i dont think it has anything to do with how often you will be adjusting the axle. its about being able to fool around and find our favorite offset. as droppin major coin on a set of 22, 22.5, 24, or 27mm clamps would just hurt our ("the undecided's") ego. if the 24 mm sucked for me. i would feel pretty crappy that i just spend 400 bucks on clamps that a magizine or someone from thumpertalk suggested.

lets say this: you buy the clamps for 400 bucks, you dont like them and you need to get rid of them. lets go post it on ebay, you sell them for 250, maybe 300 bucks. so your now out 100-150 bucks.

where as the e axle, you can buy for 200 bucks, if you dont like it, sell it for about 150 and only be out 50 bucks.

for me, im going with the axle, seeing how i do NOT believe anything the magizines say, and that everyone on here has diffrent tastes and riding abilities. Im a slow B rider, and I know nothing about geometry, so I guess the axle is the most economical way to go...gotta be cheap, im still in college.

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2007 - 09:15 PM

you sell them for 250, maybe 300 bucks. so your now out 100-150 bucks.

If you're lucky...and patient.

• 02YZ426

Posted October 05, 2007 - 02:57 AM

i dont think it has anything to do with how often you will be adjusting the axle. its about being able to fool around and find our favorite offset. as droppin major coin on a set of 22, 22.5, 24, or 27mm clamps would just hurt our ("the undecided's") ego. if the 24 mm sucked for me. i would feel pretty crappy that i just spend 400 bucks on clamps that a magizine or someone from thumpertalk suggested.

lets say this: you buy the clamps for 400 bucks, you dont like them and you need to get rid of them. lets go post it on ebay, you sell them for 250, maybe 300 bucks. so your now out 100-150 bucks.

where as the e axle, you can buy for 200 bucks, if you dont like it, sell it for about 150 and only be out 50 bucks.

for me, im going with the axle, seeing how i do NOT believe anything the magizines say, and that everyone on here has diffrent tastes and riding abilities. Im a slow B rider, and I know nothing about geometry, so I guess the axle is the most economical way to go...gotta be cheap, im still in college.

Good point. For me though, I just took a chance and went with the suggested clamp and got lucky. Let us know how you like the axle when you get it, maybe post a pic too.

• unpride

Posted October 05, 2007 - 06:24 AM

I also read MXA last night and they said that there was no real fix for the YZ450F. They tested the triple clamps and axle! IDK I might just try the axle just seems like there is more adjustability with it

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 05, 2007 - 06:28 AM

Good point. For me though, I just took a chance and went with the suggested clamp and got lucky. Let us know how you like the axle when you get it, maybe post a pic too.

well, its gonna be a little while. im gonna run it on an 06, basically the only problem i have with the bike is making the front stick getting into the rut, and not popping out as i exit. while in the rut (when i can get it there) im fine

i would rather have to buy things to improve the turning on my YZ than spend a grand on a kxf or crf engine after 100 hours.

• Huckster

Posted October 05, 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hey Grey what are you thoughts on the '08? Is it worth it to upgrade or is putting a set of 24mm clamps on a 07 the same thing? I only have about 25hrs on my '07 and it is all set up, FC suspension, tall seat, etc...but I have never been able to get 100% comfortable with the way it turns. Will the '08 make that much difference or in your opinion, would putting 24mm on my 07 do the same thing? I am all approved for the 0/12 months Yam deal and ready to buy an 08. I am very interested to hear what you have to say, before I do it. thanks in advance

• grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2007 - 09:07 AM

I also read MXA last night and they said that there was no real fix for the YZ450F.

So far, they have the lowest opinion of the bike of everyone. A number of other credible sources say they think it corners quite well.

Hey Grey what are you thoughts on the '08? Is it worth it to upgrade or is putting a set of 24mm clamps on a 07 the same thing?

On paper, just looking at what the available information says, it seems that a set of 24's should make an '07 nearly identical to an '08, but I don't know for sure. If I were you, with the investment you have in your '07, I think the first thing I'd try is to get a ride on an '08, and then on a modified '06-7 to see what YOU think about it. If I couldn't do that, I'd probably spring for an E-Axle and do some research of my own.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 05, 2007 - 12:12 PM

Folks you have to ride bikes with different offsets to figure out which is best for you....Do not take magazine advice as the "Bible to MX" If you do you are foolish.
I rode a lot of different bikes before deciding on 24s for my 06. No experience with EAxle....and no need now to try it either. :confused:

• unpride

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Im glad there are so many responses to this post. So if I am understanding all of this correctly buying the E-axle if adjusted right will accomplish the same thing as the offset triple clamp at 24mm and will also have 3 more settings not including the stock setting. Just making sure I understand this completely before buying. I want this 07 YZ450 to turn like my 07 RMZ in a bad way I love the motor and suspension and the quality, just doest like to cut in as hard! The bike is just so much easier to ride the power is just very usable.

• Huckster

Posted October 06, 2007 - 07:07 AM

Im glad there are so many responses to this post. So if I am understanding all of this correctly buying the E-axle if adjusted right will accomplish the same thing as the offset triple clamp at 24mm and will also have 3 more settings not including the stock setting. Just making sure I understand this completely before buying. I want this 07 YZ450 to turn like my 07 RMZ in a bad way I love the motor and suspension and the quality, just doest like to cut in as hard! The bike is just so much easier to ride the power is just very usable.

I hear you on that, but it wont no matter what you do to it. I came off a RMZ and feel the exact same way you do. If I could only get the YZ to turn better or at the very least, lose the vague feeling, it would be the perfect bike and I have tried almost everything except 24mm clamps. That could be next or I may just buy an '08.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 06, 2007 - 09:34 AM

I hear you on that, but it wont no matter what you do to it. I came off a RMZ and feel the exact same way you do. If I could only get the YZ to turn better or at the very least, lose the vague feeling, it would be the perfect bike and I have tried almost everything except 24mm clamps. That could be next or I may just buy an '08.

Get the clamps and the tall seat and move the forks up 10mm. worked great for me.I have the 22s and the dr d rad kit. It turns 'good' now.But I love the other traits of this bike.When I ride a crf450 yeah it might turn a little better but the bike beats on me and although I love the bottom end of the honda the power shuts off to soon in comparison especialy to an 06yz with a dr d pipe and a zip ty carb mod and IMO or should I say taste I like the 51 tooth on the back.The yami turning takes a different style it takes alittle time to dial in.I stopped complaining about it and I stopped switching bikes at the track to compare it to now I'm railing on the thing.And know when I try a different brand ther turning feels bad!

• 02YZ426

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:12 PM

So did anyone else take the plunge on 24mm clamps? Just curious to see if you were as happy with the change as I am. I am taking seconds of my lap times now. Cornering with confidence and hitting tighter lines like never before. At my local practice track (small private track) my fastest lap time ever was a 1:25. Now I am hitting the 1:19 mark and averaging 1:20s. I truly believe that these clamps are a big reason why.

• killerdwarf77

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:31 PM

There is no "trade off" with the 24mm clamps that I have seen so far. My bike is as stable as it was before I changed the offset and now my bike turns on rails. You won't believe the difference that 1mm of offset makes. High speed stability is still excellent, and now I can tuck every inside line a track has to offer.

You need to put this theory to the test at Walton tomorrow!!!:crazy:

• 02YZ426

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:34 PM

You need to put this theory to the test at Walton tomorrow!!!:crazy:

Haha, you still going on with that :D

• sic

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:42 PM

I've put in many months of racing on the e-axle on my 06 450F.

It seems to work fine as designed. A bit disappointed now, but the disappointment is not with the e-axle, but what you "discover". And that discovery is that decreasing the offset does NOT not stop the front end from pushing. What it does is make it feel slightly easier on initial "turn in". In fact if you set it at the maximum negative offset (22.5 or 23 I think) you'll find out that it turns GREAT in your front yard. Unbelievably nimble. When you get on a fast track (at least 4th gear straights) you also find there is not headshake penalty. But alas, a problem does crop up and that is the bikes tendency to KNIFE. I noticed mostly when landing big jumps. If its a body crusher the front end gets edgy. Feels like it just wants to tuck in and go full lock on you. Its definitely not headshake. But a one-way knife effect upon impact. And this was slowing me down. So I had to go back to almost the stock offset.

Yes, what you will find is that your e-axle will get adjusted to approximately 24 degrees. Just a bit better than stock. After that the knifey feeling shows up and you go slower.

Sic

• 02YZ426

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I've put in many months of racing on the e-axle on my 06 450F.

It seems to work fine as designed. A bit disappointed now, but the disappointment is not with the e-axle, but what you "discover". And that discovery is that decreasing the offset does NOT not stop the front end from pushing. What it does is make it feel slightly easier on initial "turn in". In fact if you set it at the maximum negative offset (22.5 or 23 I think) you'll find out that it turns GREAT in your front yard. Unbelievably nimble. When you get on a fast track (at least 4th gear straights) you also find there is not headshake penalty. But alas, a problem does crop up and that is the bikes tendency to KNIFE. I noticed mostly when landing big jumps. If its a body crusher the front end gets edgy. Feels like it just wants to tuck in and go full lock on you. Its definitely not headshake. But a one-way knife effect upon impact. And this was slowing me down. So I had to go back to almost the stock offset.

Yes, what you will find is that your e-axle will get adjusted to approximately 24 degrees. Just a bit better than stock. After that the knifey feeling shows up and you go slower.

Sic

So the symptoms you describe are with offsets less than 24mm? Just to be clear. If you go to a smaller offset and have your forks raised in the clamps that doesn't help handling. I had do lower my forks to the line with the 24mm offset to get the best handing resuts. It handles much better than stock now, no tucking, knifing, no headshake but just a bike that turns! Hey, thanks for the e axle report :crazy:

• steve 112

Posted October 14, 2007 - 02:43 PM

So did anyone else take the plunge on 24mm clamps? Just curious to see if you were as happy with the change as I am. I am taking seconds of my lap times now. Cornering with confidence and hitting tighter lines like never before. At my local practice track (small private track) my fastest lap time ever was a 1:25. Now I am hitting the 1:19 mark and averaging 1:20s. I truly believe that these clamps are a big reason why.

Mine showed up friday,I was in the upper pennsula trail riding friday and sat.Any how put the clamps on this morning and went out on my track(loose terrain).Im very happy with the change in handling.It gives me alot better feel for what the bike is going to do.I noticed myself putting my feet down less and less because i was confident of what the bike was going to do.Exactly the same thing i felt when riding the 06 rmz 450.I put the factory clamp over the applieds and snapped a pic of the difference in the location.Also the applieds moved the bars even more forward than the stockers which feels fine.

I went with the rubber mounted clamps which I 100% recommend.I didnt use the applied rubbers as they are stiffer i went with factory honda cones.

I dont have a photobucket account,but id be happy to email the pic to someone will post it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.