Fixed My Turning Issues On The 07!

75 replies to this topic
  • Texas30

Posted September 29, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Will any name brand w/ the same offset work just as good, or are you totally sold on the Applied clamps?

Thanks........................

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:07 AM

24mm should be 24mm regardless, seems to me. Applieds are a solid value, though. Up to you.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:51 AM

I do suggest their rubber mounted version:thumbsup:

• 02YZ426

Posted September 29, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I do suggest their rubber mounted version:thumbsup:

Thats what I have and it helps cut the vibration some.

• maddogyz250f

Posted September 29, 2007 - 02:37 PM

I have a Rekluse e-axle on the way. Anyone use one of these? I'm hoping to duplicate the 24mm offset fix for $189.00. I also have the Dubach Radiator lowering kit coming and hope to have both on for a race at Lake Sugar Tree next weekend.:confused:

It is my understanding that the Rekluse e-axle is meant more as a testing tool than it is meant to be used as a permanant part of your bike. You can try different offsets and then order the appropriate set of clamps to match your favorite offset.

• MX4Life

Posted September 29, 2007 - 04:34 PM

I don't know why you cannot use it full time. I plan on leaving it on, it's stronger the the OEM steel used. I think MXA started that opinion. I have it set at 24mm, that and the DR.D rad kit and ti pipe and I love my new Yamaha.:confused:

• ivesy

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:42 AM

When you say 24mm offset, is it the distance from the steering head centre to the centre of the forks?

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:53 AM

Yes. That is the practical means of altering the trail of the steering geometry. The offset of the front axle versus the fork tube centerline also affects this, but changing that would obviously be much more expensive and difficult.

• SUnruh

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:57 AM

the e-axle can be a permanent solution.

if you do well in a worcs or torcs race you can win coupons that are worth up to 50% off too!!!

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2007 - 12:14 PM

And the E-axle is always adjustable. (besides being half the cost of clamps)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ivesy

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:19 PM

So an e-axle can have the exact same effect as the triple clamps?

• YamaHonda

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Just did the first test ride with my rekluse axel on my 07 YZF. I'm using the mid position on the negative side. Seems like a winner to me but I need some more seat time to say for sure. I was a lot more confident pushing the bike down and feeling the front end bite. I've gotten to the point where the "boys" are in contact with the gas cap when I turn and the YZ just didn't want to dig in. I also have an 05 CRF450 which turns without the extreme slide forward so I know the difference. I'll have a better report next weekend. I plan to try the most extreme negative setting too and see how that goes.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:43 PM

So an e-axle can have the exact same effect as the triple clamps?

Yes. You can alter the net axle offset 2mm in either direction.

• aaronw

Posted October 02, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Are you using stock tires or have you switched to smothing else? I'm a C class rider and the pushing of the front end is not helping me with attacking a track harder. I raised the forks up a tad above the line and this helped. What type of suspension settings are you using?

• steve 112

Posted October 03, 2007 - 07:37 PM

I put a michelin ms3 on the front of mine and its a whole new bike,I would be 100% happy if i wouldnt have rode an 06 rmz 450.Its close now. I have the 24mm applied clamps(rubbermounted ) on order.They should be rubber mounted from the factory.

I rode mostly in loose sand the stock front is horrible in the sand.

• runester

Posted October 03, 2007 - 10:15 PM

I put a peralli scorpian pro up front and dropped the forks 10 mm and I SWEAR it fealt like I had power steering for a second...I did the work but didnt get to the track for a couple of weeks and when I got to go it was with my son for his practice and I brought the 450 as an afterthought and had actually forgotten I made the changes, when I hit the track I was like ***!!! The bike fealt ENTIRELY differant...I literally got off and started checkin it and then remembered I had made the changes, man, it was a HUGE differance but the 10mm was too low as it were and I find caused alot of headshake especially on hard landings from bigger/higher jumps so I lowered it back down to about 5mm and havent yet tried that mark, and since I busted my clavicle at racetown last fri. it looks like it will be a few weeks before I do...anyway, this is the first I've heard of the recluse axle but I am feeling good about what I hear...I find that even w/the changes I still had to get the sack on the cap to get the front to stick, granted the new tire and fork reposition was dramatic it still wasnt enough...how would the clamp and axle work together? Gray, what do you think? Sounds like those two would really compliment each other well. I am just a weekend warrior but the yz steering does take alot of the fun out of my track time...I have to think a little too much in the corners...last time I just went with it I washed out on a sweeper and came close to really munchin' it, I managed to keep it up but it scared the shit outa' me.

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2007 - 05:52 AM

...how would the clamp and (E-axle) work together?

They do the same thing, so they just add up to a total. If you had, say a 24mm clamp, and then set the axle at 2mm back, it would be the same as having a 22mm clamp. Or, you could set the axle to 1mm forward and return it to the same trail as the stock 25mm clamp has.

• runester

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:45 AM

They do the same thing, so they just add up to a total. If you had, say a 24mm clamp, and then set the axle at 2mm back, it would be the same as having a 22mm clamp. Or, you could set the axle to 1mm forward and return it to the same trail as the stock 25mm clamp has.

Yea, I started thinking it through and figured they do the same thing, however, it seems that there would be an advantage to having both in that your range of adjustability would be greatly increased. I read an article recently about the 450 turning issues and the test riders tried a variety of clamps and the final conclusion was that nothing really fixed the problem in their eyes, in that as one element of the steering would be helped w/ a certain set if triples it would in turn create a problem somewhere else essentially... Gray, do you think that by combining the two there would be an advantageand perhaps take care of the "trade off" issue that running just the clamps is said to create? I am definately going to get the axle, I have been tying off on the triples because I just havent been putting in alot of seat time lately but they have been on my list of upgrades, but now the axle seem like the obvious choice.

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Gray, do you think that by combining the two there would be an advantageand perhaps take care of the "trade off" issue that running just the clamps is said to create?

No, because since they both accomplish the same thing, they both have the same trade-offs. But buying the axle is a whole lot easier way to find out if you like a particular offset than clamps are, in any case. If you're on the fence, start there.

As for MXA, whose test you referred to, remember that everyone has different preferences. Grant Langston says he thinks the '08 turns much better than the previous models, as do many of the guys here who have one. Interestingly, the main difference in steering geometry between the new and the old bikes is that the trail is greater on the '08, and the amount of increase is about what you would get if you put a 24mm clamp on an '06-'07. Go figure. This change, by the way, was made by shifting the axle back in the fork lugs; the clamp is still the same 25mm offset.

Anyway, if you fool with the E-axle, you'll find out what you like and what you don't, and that's what you wanted to know.

• 02YZ426

Posted October 04, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Yea, I started thinking it through and figured they do the same thing, however, it seems that there would be an advantage to having both in that your range of adjustability would be greatly increased. I read an article recently about the 450 turning issues and the test riders tried a variety of clamps and the final conclusion was that nothing really fixed the problem in their eyes, in that as one element of the steering would be helped w/ a certain set if triples it would in turn create a problem somewhere else essentially... Gray, do you think that by combining the two there would be an advantageand perhaps take care of the "trade off" issue that running just the clamps is said to create? I am definately going to get the axle, I have been tying off on the triples because I just havent been putting in alot of seat time lately but they have been on my list of upgrades, but now the axle seem like the obvious choice.

There is no "trade off" with the 24mm clamps that I have seen so far. My bike is as stable as it was before I changed the offset and now my bike turns on rails. You won't believe the difference that 1mm of offset makes. High speed stability is still excellent, and now I can tuck every inside line a track has to offer.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.