Oversized tanks- 06 450F

42 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 02, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Bringing this one back to the top for the time. I'm still on the fence about which tank to get, right now leaning toward the IMS... I think :thumbsup: Does anybody have any new info or recent experiences to share?

• cowboyona426

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:05 AM

Nobody?

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2010 - 10:36 AM

It's posted elsewhere, but I ended up finding a good buy on an IMS like the one on WB's bike (mine was the "natural" color). It isn't perfect, but having now owned both, I prefer the IMS on the basis of fit and overall quality.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 08, 2010 - 10:43 AM

Those of you running the IMS, it looks like it pushes the top of the shroud out where it meets with the seat. Any issues with snagging due to this?

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2010 - 10:52 AM

Those of you running the IMS, it looks like it pushes the top of the shroud out where it meets with the seat. Any issues with snagging due to this?

None here.

• WB450

Posted March 08, 2010 - 01:52 PM

None here, couldn't be happier.:banana:

http://www.motorspor...uct=Tank MC Yam

• cowboyona426

Posted April 01, 2010 - 09:02 AM

I just picked up an IMS 3.1 gallon tank off of CL for 2 dead presidents- including a cap, petcock, and rad shrouds (though the shrouds aren't useable). Looking things over and I noticed that the guy I bought it from was running a rubber gasket between the petcock and the tank in addition to the OEM gasket... is this necessary?

• WB450

Posted April 01, 2010 - 09:08 AM

I just picked up an IMS 3.1 gallon tank off of CL for 2 dead presidents- including a cap, petcock, and rad shrouds (though the shrouds aren't useable). Looking things over and I noticed that the guy I bought it from was running a rubber gasket between the petcock and the tank in addition to the OEM gasket... is this necessary?

Not here.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2010 - 11:59 AM

If it seals well enough without it, it's not required, but the bottoms of the aftermarket tanks are not always finished as flat around the petcock flange as they should be.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 02, 2010 - 04:47 PM

What is the function of the washers on the 2 screws/bolts holding the petcock on- are they necessary? The new tank only came with 1 of them, and no bolts so I was wondering if I need to order one of those washers from Yamaha or try to find something similar at the hardware store.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2010 - 05:41 PM

They may be simply to improve load distribution, or they might be an "adjustment" to the length of the bolts. Whatever you do, DON'T use a bolt so long that it bottoms out in the threaded insert. That turns into a complete nightmare.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 03, 2010 - 12:58 PM

10-4 grayracer. I'm going to pick up some bolts from the hardware store, I'll make sure to take one of the old ones with me to get the correct length.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2010 - 02:55 PM

Screw it into the hole without the petcock in place to be sure it has clearance.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 03, 2010 - 04:23 PM

Good grief, I have to wonder if this tank was even designed for this bike, or if a blind man was the one who created the mold. Talk about an ill-fitting sucker... After some tinkering I have been able to get it close, but I think I'm going to have to devise a spacer for the rear mount so that the lower shroud to rad bolts will even come close to lining up, then buy longer bolts and about 1" long spacers for the lower shroud mounts to make them work. I also will need some small spacers for the front mount to make it fit properly. And why couldn't they design the tank to work with the stock gas cap? Not real impressed to say the least.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2010 - 05:11 PM

It seems most aftermarket gas tanks are made to use a cap from a late Honda. I would have appreciated the ability to us the stocker, too.

As far as the shrouds go, the trick is to use about an 8-10 mm spacer ( I just used an 8mm nut) and bolt the shrouds to the radiators first, leaving them slightly loose. Then, I pull them into place on the tank. The seat is a bit of a chore to get into place, too, but after it's been bolted up for a while, it's much simpler.

The biggest problem with the Clarke that my son runs is that the front/rear mounting hole spacing is tool long by nearly half an inch, and it takes two people to bolt it down.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 03, 2010 - 05:47 PM

I did have issues with the seat also, but that was the least of my frustrations. This one may be an early run unit, its got quite a few fit issues. I had to remove the rubber isolator from the frame (near where the shock bolts) to get it to drop into place correctly, and now the back is too low causing the lower shroud bolts to not line up well at all. I tried bolting the shrouds to the rad first and working them onto the tank... not a simple task. I was afraid I was going to break something. I wonder about using some heat and pressure to reshape the tank a bit, but it seems like the plastic is fairly thick so I imagine it wouldn't be an easy task.

• Streamline

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:21 PM

Can you guys give me an idea for about how long the stock tank for a 04 YZ450F is good for before it runs dry? Miles/hours would be wonderful. Thanks for any and all help.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:29 PM

depends a great deal on how you ride. It's pretty safe to figure around 20-25 mpg, although if you're taking it easy, that number can go quite a bit higher.

• Streamline

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:44 PM

depends a great deal on how you ride. It's pretty safe to figure around 20-25 mpg, although if you're taking it easy, that number can go quite a bit higher.

Well I used to ride/race Moto/Desert on my YZ400F but it's been so long since I've been on a bike that I can't remember how far the tank would get me per the different apps, and on the new bike I have no idea since my first ride will be tomorrow at the track. The 04 YZ450F is a 1.8 gallon correct?

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:46 PM

The 04 YZ450F is a 1.8 gallon correct?

I believe so.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.