Oversized tanks- 06 450F

42 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted September 08, 2007 - 09:35 AM

I did do a search, and couldn't come up with what I was looking for. I'd like to put a bigger tank on my 06 for woods riding, and I can't decide which one to go with. It's going to most likely be one of the two Clarkes. I don't think I'd need the capacity of the 3.2 very often and that the 2.6 would probably be just fine, and it does seem that most guys are running the 2.6 from what I've read. Does anyone know roughly how many miles/hours you can go on the 2.6 before running it dry? I also considered the 07 WR 450 tank, but it's only 2.1 gallons and probably wouldn't be quite enough. I've also read a few times on here that the 2.6 pushes the rad shrouds out some, has anyone running a 2.6 found this to be a huge problem? Any opinions/comparisons between the 2.6 and the 3.2 would be nice to hear also if someone has tried both.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2007 - 10:48 AM

My son is happy enough with the way the Clarke fits that he runs it all the time, rather than switching back to the stock one for MX. I don't know if you saw this post in your search or not, but it looks like this:

http://www.thumperta...918#post4069918

It's been on there 7-8 months with no trouble at all. I usually figure that 20-25 mpg is pretty reasonable to expect, but it depends a lot on how hard you ride, and in what gears. You'll get farther in the desert than the woods, obviously, but in any case, you'll go 45% farther on 2.6 gallons than on 1.8. The Clarke actually holds about 2.8, anyway.

The overall fit and quality was pretty good.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 09, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Gray I did see that thread in my search, but the photos weren't loading the other day (they are now). I don't know how much I like the dual petcock idea, just seems like a huge pain in the butt, as does having to tip the bike over to slosh the fule over. I think 3.1-3.2 for the IMS and larger Clarke is overkill too, so I don't know how thrilled I am about those options. I wish the stock WR tank was a tad bigger, even 2.4-2.5 would probably be enough for most rides.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2007 - 12:29 PM

If it matters, I'm planning on buying another '06, and at this point, I'll probably buy another Clarke for it, and set it up the same way.

• rooster wrooster

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:24 PM

If it was me, I'd buy the biggest tank I could afford. You don't have to fill it all the way up, but it is available if you need it. I have the IMS 3.1 and I carry an extra 500 ml bottle full of gas as my reserve when I ride. I probably would have got that 6.6 gallon super tanker that they have for the WR if was available when I was looking. I'll try just about anything once.............

Posted Image

• WB450

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:42 PM

If it was me, I'd buy the biggest tank I could afford. You don't have to fill it all the way up, but it is available if you need it. I have the IMS 3.1 and I carry an extra 500 ml bottle full of gas as my reserve when I ride. I probably would have got that 6.6 gallon super tanker that they have for the WR if was available when I was looking. I'll try just about anything once.............

Posted Image

I also bought the IMS 3.1, I hate worrying about gas. My first ride with it was Saturday, and I loved it.:thumbsup:

• BrittB

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:52 PM

You can also get the Clarke in the stock 1.8 size in the natural, (clear plastic). It's great for MX practice so you don't run out of gas on the back side of the track and have to push it back to the pits!

• rtgincnm

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:33 PM

Not sure about issues with YZ tanks from IMS but here is a thread from the Husky forum about IMS tanks with leaks.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=538997

At least the YZ tanks from Clarke don't look as bad ad the one for the Huskys.

• WB450

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Not sure about issues with YZ tanks from IMS but here is a thread from the Husky forum about IMS tanks with leaks.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=538997

At least the YZ tanks from Clarke don't look as bad ad the one for the Huskys.

I read that same thread, it prompted me to PM IMS Dan and ask him a fer questions about IMS quality. Dan made me feel better about the IMS tank, so I bought one, I like the looks of the IMS better than the Clark.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 09, 2007 - 06:56 PM

WB450, would you mind throwing up some photos?

Rooster, what the halibut is up with that seat??!?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rooster wrooster

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:43 AM

Please refer to the part where I said "I'll try just about anything once" It was my first try at making the stock 2x4 more comfortable. I figured ya its fuguly but its also super comfy, and as long as I'm sitting on it no one will see it. Well, A few hundred snickers and tee-he-hees later I decided its better to look good then feel good and changed it to a guts tall soft seat.

• Wiz636

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:32 AM

I have an IMS and the quality is fine but I did have one small mounting glitch...here's some pics from another thread: http://www.thumperta...401#post4943401

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2007 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope these help, if not I will take some better pics.

• NorCal

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:00 AM

I have the same set up as WB450, the black IMS 3.1 Gallon. Most people don't even know I'm running an over sized tank until I tell them.

I have had no issues with quality. In fact, I have put this tank through a beating and have had no issues what so ever.

My only problem, which is very minor, is the stock petcock is facing the opposite direction. Not a big deal. This can be fixed with a WR petcock.

To whomever brought up the subject about having to slosh the gas around, I haven't had to do that. I have also run my tank completely dry.

Hope that helps.

• WB450

Posted September 11, 2007 - 08:09 AM

I have the same set up as WB450, the black IMS 3.1 Gallon. Most people don't even know I'm running an over sized tank until I tell them.

I have had no issues with quality. In fact, I have put this tank through a beating and have had no issues what so ever.

My only problem, which is very minor, is the stock petcock is facing the opposite direction. Not a big deal. This can be fixed with a WR petcock.

To whomever brought up the subject about having to slosh the gas around, I haven't had to do that. I have also run my tank completely dry.

Hope that helps.

NorCal, any idea how far you rode when you ran it out?
03 to 05 YZ petcock works too.

• NorCal

Posted September 11, 2007 - 10:59 AM

I think it was about 75 miles of desert. I can ride all day of technical singletrack on a full tank.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:56 PM

WB, thanks for the photos, that's just what I was looking for. Did you (or NorCal) for that matter have any problems with the install (leaking around petcock, mounts not lining up, etc)? I think I like the looks of the IMS better than the Clarke, even though I've been a Clarke fan in the past I might go with IMS this time.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 14, 2007 - 07:56 PM

WB, thanks for the photos, that's just what I was looking for. Did you (or NorCal) for that matter have any problems with the install (leaking around petcock, mounts not lining up, etc)? I think I like the looks of the IMS better than the Clarke, even though I've been a Clarke fan in the past I might go with IMS this time.

Oh, and rooster, I was just flingin' you a little crap, no hard feelings :thumbsup:

• NorCal

Posted September 16, 2007 - 03:40 PM

No, I haven't had any problems with lining up the mounts/shrouds. There is no leaking whatsoever, so I would say you are pretty safe.

The only thing I don't like is the petcock is reversed, which makes it hard to turn on and off. No big deal though. Just get a WR petcock if it bothers you.

• WB450

Posted September 17, 2007 - 07:20 AM

I had no problems with leaking at all. I bought a 05 YZ petcock because the back wards petcock did bother me. I did have a problem with a couple of the rad shroud bolts, a couple wouldn't come out, a little drilling and TLC and it's fixed. Oh ya, there wasn't a vent hole, so the gas wasn't getting to the carb. IMS said that happens in the molding process every now and then, no big deal, just check it before you waste the drive to ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.