Newbie needs help

7 replies to this topic
  • mightymart

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hi,
I have just become a pround owner of a XR650R 2004, But looking through the manual I am uncertain of a few things ! so hopefully you guys can help me, I know all the info is probably here but don't have the time to trawl through as I what to get out on it tomorrow.
What engine oil is recommended as I read in a mag this week (I know this applies to the XR400) "Don't use synthectic or even semi synthetic just use bog standard 10w 40 oil because anything else will make the clutch slip" does this apply to the XR650R ?. Please bear in mind Im from the UK.
when checking the oil level why must you check the lower crankcase level as well & when should you do it as the dipstick is at the top ?
What do you use to clean the air filter ?
With regards to starting do you use the decompresion lever every time ?
Many thanks

• bosshog

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:25 PM

I'll reply to the oil questions first. To check the oil you must follow this procedure. First start the Bike and warm it up fully, taking it for a short drive even better. Than shut it off and unscrew the dipstick infront of the gas tank, check level. If in the hatched area=good. Below=add, you know this much. You have to warm it up to get the oil from the case to the sump located in the frame at the front. The 650r is a Dry sump engine so it has to be checked in this way to get a proper level. If not it will read "empty".

The synthetic vs conventional oil debate I'll leave to you. I used to use Mobil 1 red cap (15w50) synthetic. Lately it's been unavalibe here anyway so I've been using motorcyle specific 20w 50 synthetic. I think 10w 30 is alittle light. For which synthetics are alright and which are not read the following link. This is compulsery reading for all new 650r (BRP) owners. http://www.xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/
and here
http://xr650r.us/
read up and welcom aboard.
Bosshog

• creeky

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Whatever oil you use, it should be API rated JASO MA, this indicates that the oil is specific for wet clutches, there are no friction modifiers in JASO oil.

• Suikerland

Posted September 08, 2007 - 08:48 AM

I got oil advice from a mechanic who works on my bike - he's ridden and raced 650R's for years, and currently prepares XR's and CRF's for desert racing.
On his advice I use Mobil Racing 4T (15 W40).

Ultimately, oil choice depends on who u listen to and trust...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • focallength

Posted September 08, 2007 - 11:29 AM

I have had no problems using full synthetic in my 600R. I normally run 10w40, however I live in southern california, your climate may dictate a heavier or lighter weight oil. I have never noticed a difference in engine oils (motorcycle 4 stroke) So I just stick with the brand that I have used for years (sorry I cant recall the brand at the moment) The number one most important thing is to change the oil regularly. I think the manual recommends every 1000 miles. I change mine once a month and I ride about 5-1000 miles a month. 4 stroke Motorcylce engine oil is not desgined like car oil, it breaks down faster.

• Suikerland

Posted September 08, 2007 - 09:46 PM

I got oil advice from a mechanic who works on my bike - he's ridden and raced 650R's for years, and currently prepares XR's and CRF's for desert racing.
On his advice I use Mobil Racing 4T (15 W40).

Ultimately, oil choice depends on who u listen to and trust...

Forgot to mention, the Mobil 4T that I use is fully synthetic.

• mightymart

Posted September 09, 2007 - 03:09 AM

Many thanks for you replies.
In my motocross days I always stuck with Silkolene , So I got Silkolene comp 4 / 10w-40 which is a Synthetic ester based 4 stroke oil for all high performance engines, at the bottom of the bottle its states API SG,SH & SJ, JASMO MA.

• philipstjohn

Posted September 09, 2007 - 05:16 AM

Many thanks for you replies.
In my motocross days I always stuck with Silkolene , So I got Silkolene comp 4 / 10w-40 which is a Synthetic ester based 4 stroke oil for all high performance engines, at the bottom of the bottle its states API SG,SH & SJ, JASMO MA.

I use Honda HP4 Oil. Many oils will work, some will not, but the key is always changing the oil and filter at proper intervals. When checking your oil, follow the manual procedures or your dipstick will not read correctly. The other is to verify you have oil in the crankcase. You do not need to check this everytime if you know you have oil in the bike. I clean my filter with simple green, or any mild degreaser, and or soap and water to get it real clean. I let mine air dry, then oil it up. Its nice to have two filters, one ready to go, pre lubed, to just be able to pull the dirty one and pop the clean one in. No down time to have to clean a filter.
To start my bike, I always use the decomp with the first fire up of the day. Gas on, choke on, decomp on, and kick three times thru, then release decomp, find top dead center, then decomp on to just slightly move past TDC, then release decomp give her a solid kick. Fires first time for me just about everytime. Once my bike is warmed up, I just find TDC, decomp to move just past TDC, then fire her up. Starts first kick most times warm as well. Remember, never twist the throttle during start up.
Good luck... take care of her and the little piggy will run for a long time:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.