XR650R to replace DRZ400s?

7 replies to this topic
  • Singletrak

Posted September 07, 2007 - 02:02 PM

I am thinking of replacing my DRZ400s. The problem with it is it not comfortable at 65-70 mph, it can do it but it seem like you are really pushing it. I have been looking for possible replacements and I have come across a couple plated XR650R's. Do you think an XR would be a good match for me? Here is my riding breakdown:
15% singletrack
25% 2 track/ATV type trails
30% Commuting
30% Back road touring/riding (100-300 miles max)

Would the XR be an inprovement over the DRZ? How would the XR be on the highway (this is my main concern)? What are some of the pro's and con's for the XR.

Thanks,
Singletrak

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 07, 2007 - 02:13 PM

I am thinking of replacing my DRZ400s. The problem with it is it not comfortable at 65-70 mph, it can do it but it seem like you are really pushing it. I have been looking for possible replacements and I have come across a couple plated XR650R's. Do you think an XR would be a good match for me? Here is my riding breakdown:
15% singletrack
30% Commuting

Would the XR be an inprovement over the DRZ? How would the XR be on the highway (this is my main concern)? What are some of the pro's and con's for the XR.

Thanks,
Singletrak

Yes, although the XR650 (R or L) is begging for a sixth gear, it still cruises comfortably at 70+ even with stock sprockets. I rode the DRZ at that speed and it was buzzzing... The only advantage of the L over the R is comfort at high speeds on the highway, more heavy solid on hwy, and street legal right away. The 650R is a different bike altogether and definitely suits your riding breakdown...more power, better off road handling & suspension, however, not street legal and only kick start. You'll have to put some money in to make it street legal.

George

• weskc35k

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:10 PM

So 85% of your riding would suit an XR650R and 15% wouldn't, the answer is clear especially if you can get'em plated.

• Singletrak

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:26 PM

Just to clarify a few things guys, the XR650R's available locally are already plated, with Baja Designs Dual Sport Kits.

My 30% back road touring would be mostly highway riding.

Thanks,
Singletrak

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bosshog

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Either bike can be geared to be better on the highway but you may lose some low gear tight trail usefullness. I have to be honest and say they will both feel like that on the highway. I have rode both lots of times, my father has a DRZ. For me the XR is the better bike, ask him and he'll say the DRZ is and we're both in the same conditions at the same time.:thumbsup:
The XR is more powerfull by a huge margin. If buzziness on the highway is your only complaint you may not find the XR much better. You may miss the electric start aswell. Anyone you know who has one you can drive and see you like it better? Now if you said your DRZ won't wheelie in 3rd or is not powerfull enough for you than different story......

• hondacrf150f1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I love my 650R for road hooliganism, but its not every comfortable for over 40-50 miles, and cruising at 65-70 the bars and pegs vib a little. Just have to get used to it.

I recently installed a Vapor computer and found out the folowing, with 15-45 gearing its reading 4200 at 55 MPH, and at 90 MPH its reading 7250 RPM's.

• scalejockey

Posted September 08, 2007 - 07:12 AM

I owned a 400-s a few years ago and for the past two years owned a 650r what a improvment! They weigh about the same (20lbs. more on the xr,I weighed them myself) The dr is 299.5 lbs. thats with a after market pipe and lighter headlight.

• Albie

Posted September 08, 2007 - 04:21 PM

15% singletrack
30% Commuting

Thanks,
Singletrak

I've got both (well, I have a DRZ E) and the XRR is the one I'd rather ride for everything but the single track. While the DRZ always has me hunting for that 6th gear, the XRR almost never does. The XRR in motard form is an absolute blast to ride. I guess the only con to the XRR is the kick start only, but mine starts on one or two kicks every time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.