How to set float level in YZ125?

3 replies to this topic
  • Slodad

Posted September 07, 2007 - 09:08 AM

The manual for the 2005 YZ125 indicates that the carburetor float level should be checked using the special Yamaha tool that replaces the float bowl drain with one that has a nipple on it and a piece of clear plastic tubing for observing the level of the fuel with the float bowl in place. Not having that, is there a measurement that can be taken with the bowl removed, such as with others where the bottom of the float is measured in relation to the surface of the carburetor body? If so, what is the correct measurement?

• olddude

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:51 PM

The manual for the 2005 YZ125 indicates that the carburetor float level should be checked using the special Yamaha tool that replaces the float bowl drain with one that has a nipple on it and a piece of clear plastic tubing for observing the level of the fuel with the float bowl in place. Not having that, is there a measurement that can be taken with the bowl removed, such as with others where the bottom of the float is measured in relation to the surface of the carburetor body? If so, what is the correct measurement?

There is none that I am aware of. I have had this problem with my bike and I don't have that fancy tool either. It is a hit or miss without the tool. I can tell you this though, the float level is fairly important if you want the bike to run right. I worked on mine for a whole hour one time before I got it right. Two low and the bike is starved for fuel, to high and fuel runs all over the place, you just have to mess with it until you get the sweet spot. You don't have to move the tang but a tiny bit to be off one way or the other.

I keep saying I'm going to get or make one of those tools but just haven't got around to it yet.

• pdyz125

Posted September 07, 2007 - 09:31 PM

cant you just do the 45 degree angle trick as shown in the jetting section. or tips and tricks section or something like that. then measure it with a caliper.

aw im bord its right here. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=412662

• Slodad

Posted September 08, 2007 - 06:52 PM

[quote name='pdyz125']cant you just do the 45 degree angle trick as shown in the jetting section. or tips and tricks section or something like that. then measure it with a caliper.[QUOTE]

No. Yamaha doesn't give any specs on what the float level should be. All they say is how high the fuel level should be. Without knowing the buoyancy of the float in fuel, you can't get an accurate measurement of where the bottom of the float should be in relation to the body of the carb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

85 or 150? by drzrider04

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Bottom End by wyattedwards250

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.