No fuel in carb?

12 replies to this topic
  • jpfire

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Well, I got a 2005 wr450 that was ridden all but three times. Bone stock, I did all the free mods, JD jetting, wire, throttle etc. I took the carb off and of course it was green inside! Cleaned it out, new pilot jet (48) blew it out too. Put it all back and I am not getting fuel to the carb? Did I screw something up. Does the float go bad? any suggestions. Is there a wonder cleaner that works the best to clean a carb of old fuel? I am going to pull it apart again and try again. Thanks

• erickdj

Posted September 07, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Well, I got a 2005 wr450 that was ridden all but three times. Bone stock, I did all the free mods, JD jetting, wire, throttle etc. I took the carb off and of course it was green inside! Cleaned it out, new pilot jet (48) blew it out too. Put it all back and I am not getting fuel to the carb? Did I screw something up. Does the float go bad? any suggestions. Is there a wonder cleaner that works the best to clean a carb of old fuel? I am going to pull it apart again and try again. Thanks

A bike that has been sitting that long could have a plugged-up petcock valve. I bought a bike last year, the bike had been sitting for over 1 year and it had that same problem, the petcock valve just needs to be replaced at this point since you already cleaned out the carb. To test this out you can disconnect the fuel line that goes to the carb from the gas tank, open the gas valve to the "on" position, it should have a pretty good flow of gas if it's in good condition. Then turn the valve to the "reserve" position, it should have the same amount of flow of gas. If the hose doesn't have a decent amount of pressure coming out of it you could have a plugged-up petcock valve. It's an easy $15 fix.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 07, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Float valves stick especially if it has been sitting a while... alot of times this is fixed by tapping on the bowl with the non-business end of a screw driver:excuseme:

• jpfire

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Well, I took the carb apart again, opened all the ports including the rotating plug that connects to the fuel line and used carb cleaner and blew it all out. I tapped on the carb to maybe loosen up the float. Leaned the bike over (like a 2-smoke) and still no fuel to the carb.

Yes I opened up the fuel line with it not connected and fuel flowed well on both on and reserve. Not sure what else to check? any suggestions. :thumbsup: Just curious, is tapping on the carb enough or does one use a hammer and bang on it? Afraid to hit it hard. :ride: Thanks JP

• WR_Dave

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:26 PM

Remove the carb again and take out the float, the float needle valve and then the float needle seat. On some bikes the float needle seat has a small screen on the inlet that may have become plugged ??? Check to be sure the float valve doesn't stick in the seat either. WR Dave.

• erickdj

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Well, I took the carb apart again, opened all the ports including the rotating plug that connects to the fuel line and used carb cleaner and blew it all out. I tapped on the carb to maybe loosen up the float. Leaned the bike over (like a 2-smoke) and still no fuel to the carb.

Yes I opened up the fuel line with it not connected and fuel flowed well on both on and reserve. Not sure what else to check? any suggestions. :thumbsup: Just curious, is tapping on the carb enough or does one use a hammer and bang on it? Afraid to hit it hard. :ride: Thanks JP

Don't bang on it, just take it apart and check everything. Is there any fuel on the bowl after turning the fuel valve to "on"? If there's a good flow of gas with the valve turned on, then it's only logical that the problem is somewhere inside the carb, maybe something about the float mechanism. If it were me I would connect the fuel line to the carb with the bowl removed to get a "closer" look at what's happening inside that carburetor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:30 PM

Remove the bowl and make sure the litle needle valve (actuated by the floats) is not stuck sealing off the incoming fuel port. That little o-ring on the end can stick and even if your floats are moving freely that stuck valve seat will not allow any fuel in... good luck:ride:

• jpfire

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Ok, I'm going back in.....I am starting to get good at removing the carb. Hee Hee. Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

• jpfire

Posted September 07, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Ok guys, I have the float off and I even got the needle out (yes, it too is green !!) I can see the screen way up in there but how do you get to it. Does the housing come out. If so it is not easy and I am afraid of damaging something. Thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Ok guys, I have the float off and I even got the needle out (yes, it too is green !!) I can see the screen way up in there but how do you get to it. Does the housing come out. If so it is not easy and I am afraid of damaging something. Thanks

Back flush that passage with compressed air, you might be able to clear anything in the screen that way:excuseme:

I never knew there was a screen in there thanks Dave:thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I think the seat comes out with an allen wrench , but I'm not sure it's been a while since I did one. Also when you have the seat out and clean the screen change the o-ring on it as well. As the bikes age the o-ring gets hard and shrinks a bit and lets fuel go into the bowl around the seat and gives you a flooding condition, learned the hard way after trying to fix it with jetting. Now I just change the o-ring every other year during winter tear down. Good Luck -- WR Dave.:thumbsup: P.S. just trying to make up for my tank info "faux pas" Don

• jpfire

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Success, woohoo ! :thumbsup: Its amazing how a little "old" gas can mess up your carb. I never got the seat out but carb cleaner and blowing it out made all the difference and it fire right up. A hearty thanks to Dave, Don and Erik. You guys are what Thumpertalk is all about.

I am going to still figure out how the seat is removed and post later but the 4-year old is hungry. Thanks again, cheers JP :ride:

• WR_Dave

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:27 PM

Glad it worked out for you JPfire, alot of people don't seem to know about the needle valve seat screen and I found it by a bit of an accident as well. WR Dave.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.