XR 650 L start issue

3 replies to this topic
  • MadMaxChef

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hello All have a XR 650 L starting problem, need some advise please

Great forum, thank you all or this web site !!!

Newbie here, after 15 years no riding Just got myself a XR650 L,
have a poblem starting, need proper procedur, have no manual
battery is good, fuel and spark good,
does any one know why when I try to start the stater works but it does not turn over, hear a tick tick noise but thati s all,
tried to start with kik stand up and till would not start,
any help is appreciated.

also does any one who has proper starting procedures, on cases with xr 650 L

• martinfan30

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:36 AM

does any one know why when I try to start the stater works but it does not turn over, hear a tick tick noise but thati s all,
any help is appreciated.

sure the batt. is good?
when you say "turn over" do you mean the engine cranks and doesnt start?
try bypassing the safety switches by grounding both wires at the clutch switch.
the procedure to start mine when it was stock was to put the choke enrichener lever at half and crank it. would start quickly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonr3

Posted September 07, 2007 - 09:24 AM

any help is appreciated.

Since you are hearing a ticking noise from the starter when you try to start it, I don't think it would be a safety switch issue. It sounds like you could have a bad battery connection. There may be enough of a connection to power up your headlight and idiot lights, but under a heavy load (such as your starter), the connection fails. It could also be a bad starter solenoid.

Cheapest test - clean your battery terminals and cable connections with a baking soda and water solution using a stiff brush and try it again.

I've never looked at the starter solenoid on my "L", but you should be able bypass it or jump it with a screwdriver to see if your starter is working and your solenoid is faulty.:thumbsup:

To start mine when it's cold I put the choke enrichener on full and it usually starts right up. After about 5 seconds, I move it to half, then to off about 10 seconds later. Hope this helps!

• motomonte

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:46 PM

First maka sure it is in neutral and try to bypass the kickstand switch.try starting the bike with a battery booster or a recently charged batt.,if it still fails to turn the engine check the starter(wich may requiere taking it out) and check the solenoid and pinions. good luck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.