Will xr250 rear wheel hub fit 98 xr600?

4 replies to this topic
  • Johnboy222

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:32 AM

Will xr250 rear wheel hub fit 98 xr600?

The one on my xr600 has one of the sprocket lugs, where the bolt goes through, snapped off!! I´ll try to get a picture of it. Not had any problems with it, I´ve just seen a xr 250 rear wheel for sale and thought i´d ask everybody here if they knew if it´d fit

Thanks

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:57 AM

Well... yes and no.

The 250 wheel uses smaller spokes and the sprocket offset is about 2-3 mm closer to the hub.

Can it be used? Probably if you don't mind a slightly weaker rear wheel and slightly accelerated sprocket and chain wear.

Have I done it? You bet I have! I own both bikes well, 2000 xr250r and 1999 xr650l and have swapped rears both directions. The fronts however use a different sized axle so no direct swap is possible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Johnboy222

Posted September 07, 2007 - 07:53 AM

I´m looking at buying the xr 250 wheel then stripping it down and just using the hub with my 600 spokes and wheel rim.

Is that possible or would the 600 spokes too big, diameter wise, for the 250 hub?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 07, 2007 - 10:56 AM

Well... yes and no.

The 250 wheel uses smaller spokes and the sprocket offset is about 2-3 mm closer to the hub.

Can it be used? Probably if you don't mind a slightly weaker rear wheel and slightly accelerated sprocket and chain wear.

Have I done it? You bet I have! I own both bikes well, 2000 xr250r and 1999 xr650l and have swapped rears both directions. The fronts however use a different sized axle so no direct swap is possible.

Also, the XR250R rim is 1.85, while the 650L is 2.15 in width. No biggie, but worth consideration.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted September 08, 2007 - 06:53 AM

I just went out and took some measurements and found that the XR250 spoke is 3.22mm in diameter and the XR650L spoke is 3.5mm. It also looks like there might be just enough free play to fit the slightly larger spoke into a 250 hub.

Both hubs also have the same number of spokes. The sprockets and brake rotors use the same bolt pattern. I say give it a try and report back.

But remember there are still a few differences that could cause it not to work or to only work for a short period of time as the rate of wear could be higher.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.