Interesting Spec on The New CRF's

20 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Interesting specs..Also interesting is the placement of the steering stabilizer.

http://www.racerxill...008-hondas.aspx

I know it's the YZ forum, but thought some of these trick components may spur some interest.

• socal_sierra

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Interesting specs..Also interesting is the placement of the steering stabilizer.

http://www.racerxill...008-hondas.aspx

I know it's the YZ forum, but thought some of these trick components may spur some interest.

thats the same stablizer set up a lot of the honda factory teams use, they just started implimenting it on production bikes now..

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:45 PM

I think you'll find that the shiney piece of brass bolted to the steering head won't be enough to take yami riders off of their bikes.

• socal_sierra

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I think you'll find that the shiney piece of brass bolted to the steering head won't be enough to take yami riders off of their bikes.

im sure it wont either, but its definately not a bad feature for honda either.. The steeper rake on the 08 will cause more headshake, the stabilizer will calm that down significantly, while still making the bike corner better, and have better suspension charicteristics. (due to the rake).

What about the gear specific CDI?? Im curious to see how that works :thumbsup:

New for 2008

New tapered exhaust head pipe improves low-end and midrange power.
New lighter counterbalancer shaft and drive gears.
New works-type multi-map CDI system uses a transmission gear-position sensor to provide specific ignition maps for First gear, Second gear and Third through Fifth and produce the optimum power curve in each gear.
Rev limit of 11,270 rpm has increased 50 rpm.
Friction-reducing coating on the clutch basket, clutch center and pressure plate improve clutch life and clutch feel.
New Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). Developed by Team Honda, this lightweight, compact steering damper improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
New fork triple clamps with 22mm offset for improved cornering.
New Showa fork features a larger cartridge rod and new cartridge oil piston for improved oil flow and less friction, plus stiffer springs for improved mid-stroke action.
New rear shock valving matches changes to the fork.
New works-style front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
New Black color (2008 special color†).

• twenty34

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:09 PM

im sure it wont either, but its definately not a bad feature for honda either.. The steeper rake on the 08 will cause more headshake, the stabilizer will calm that down significantly, while still making the bike corner better, and have better suspension charicteristics. (due to the rake).

What about the gear specific CDI?? Im curious to see how that works :thumbsup:

I was equally curious about the CDI maps as well. I thought that was pretty cool to see on a stock bike. Overall, it seems like Honda really stepped up this year. Sure is getter harder to decide on which bike to get.

• Fastest1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:55 AM

I was equally curious about the CDI maps as well. I thought that was pretty cool to see on a stock bike. Overall, it seems like Honda really stepped up this year. Sure is getter harder to decide on which bike to get.

As long as it is a new one, all the choices are great! Still want FI & E button.:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:10 AM

I applaud Honda for sticking to the plan and not coming out with EFI.....all this will do first year, is make bikes even more costly....from purchase through ownership...and as a first year release...EFI dependability/reliabilty scares me...this gives Honda another year to test refine the EFI system before production...and hopefully make the production of it less costly through better planned machining processes

The 08 will be one sweet machine with the trick patented stabilizer and new CDI mapping and the rest..my gut tells me it will be the clear winner by the mags(like I really care....NOT) and I am sure no regrets from purchasing it......even if it is Red...and now limited Black....curious how the handling will be compared to every other 08.

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Reliability is no longer an issue with EFI systems. They've been out long enough to prove that, and for the manufacturers to know how to build them right. The only thing that will need significant refinement is getting the fuel curve dialed.

I think the gear specific mapping is a great concept, and one that can be extended to the fuel curve with EFI, but it puts a premium on the performance of the transmission range switch. It will need to be a quality assembly.

• Butta

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Reliability is no longer an issue with EFI systems. They've been out long enough to prove that, and for the manufacturers to know how to build them right. The only thing that will need significant refinement is getting the fuel curve dialed.

I think the gear specific mapping is a great concept, and one that can be extended to the fuel curve with EFI, but it puts a premium on the performance of the transmission range switch. It will need to be a quality assembly.

Another great point, Gray....it would suck to have a high tech, state of the art system hampered by a $0.50 switch that feeds the wrong info. Garbage in, garbage out.

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:58 AM

That's where the bulk of the trouble GM (who I realize doesn't build motorcycles, but does make an awful lot of very sophisticated EFI systems) has had came from; input and output devices. Mostly problems with sensors, especially the mechanical ones such as the TPS and pressure sensors, and also with wiring terminal contact. The electronics, even the American ones, rarely fail. In many Japanese products, it's almost unheard of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dr.Crankenstien

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:10 AM

The STABILIZER is to aid in turning not headshake.
Multi-Map CDI? Ask KAWI they have been running it for a couple of years now

• andy250

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:27 AM

I also agree that gear specific mapping is a good idea. However, I ride MX and I NEVER use 1st or 2nd gear except when rolling through the pits. So this bike would effectively have only 1 cdi map for me since 3-5 are the same...

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:42 AM

The STABILIZER is to aid in turning not headshake.

You're going to have to explain how THAT works.

• twenty34

Posted September 07, 2007 - 11:12 AM

Here Too! :thumbsup:

• 78sharpshooter

Posted September 07, 2007 - 11:28 AM

I wonder if the gear sensor fails the CDI reverts back to a default map.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted September 07, 2007 - 12:29 PM

It is not desgined for straight-line stability it has no damping till the 5 degree mark
supposed to help feel more planted in turns.

• socal_sierra

Posted September 07, 2007 - 02:45 PM

It is not desgined for straight-line stability it has no damping till the 5 degree mark

by making the rake steeper (22mm offset) helps the front end plant in the turns while sacraficing(sp) straight line stability. The stabilizer is a cure to that problem. Same concept of raising the forks in the clamps or when the forks compress coming into a turn, both situations make the rake closer to vertical. Riding with a stablizer helps headshake and causes less fatigue to the rider. I dont see how a stabilizer would benifit in the turns NEARLY as much as it does to help headshake and rear end swap...:thumbsup:

I can assure you desert racers dont use stabilizers to help with cornering... :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Nothing of the sort.

The steeper head angle makes it more planted in the corners, but there is, or at least, can be a penalty for that in terms of stability. Thus, the addition of the damper.

The damper is designed to be progressive by virtue of it's mounting position, so that it is less noticeable near the center than away from it.

http://www.google.co...steering damper

• 642MX

Posted September 07, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Not trying to bash the CRF, but have they fixed the valve issues yet? :thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted September 08, 2007 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for posting, Ricck. It's no wonder I couldn't see RC's steering damper when they showed his bike in the pits on tv! That thing is tiny, and a clever design, nice. That's great that they come stock on the Hondas.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.