99 YZ400F Keihin Carb Issues (I need help!!)

12 replies to this topic
  • granthamtm

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:14 PM

So we bought a 99' YZ400F for my husband and after about $2,500 in repairs :thumbsup: trying to keep her running we bought him a new RMZ450. The only problem the 99' is now my bike. After fixing the detention in the cylinder , new pistons, a new CDI, 2 carb rebuilds and lots of shop time, while it was my husband's; it is still not running. I am torn between forgetting about all the money and taking it out and shooting it and doing a little "Office Space":bonk: to it so I can get some enjoyment out of it.

Here is the latest problem. We got the bike back out of the shop after a carb rebuild and when you turn the Fuel on it start pouring fuel out the overflow. So of course if you can get it started it floods immediately. So we took it back in. Turns main body gasket was gone and someone JB welded the part together. In the process they smashed the body o rings. Well of course you can not order this part by it's self :ride: . We have tried. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I really do not want to order a whole new carb.

Thanks for the help.

Tina

• Solo

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:47 PM

I'd start by saying to find another shop OR get a manual and DYI. There's no way you could cause the level of damage that shop has caused.

Watch eBay for a used carb or you could try the Edelbrock route.

P.S. Since you are local- what shop did you take it to?

• 642MX

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:23 PM

We got the bike back out of the shop after a carb rebuild and when you turn the Fuel on it start pouring fuel out the overflow.

Fuel coming from the over flow is normally caused by one of 4 problems:

1. Dirt is stuck between the float valve and seat.

2. The float valve is worn and needs replaced.

3. The float height is not adjusted correctly.

4. The float has a hole in it and needs replaced.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:08 PM

You should add a float stuck down by varnish, but of course, that's the least likely in this case, since it's just back from the shop. Right?

It might also be caused by the float hinge being bent and binding.

• granthamtm

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'd start by saying to find another shop OR get a manual and DYI. There's no way you could cause the level of damage that shop has caused.

Watch eBay for a used carb or you could try the Edelbrock route.

P.S. Since you are local- what shop did you take it to?

It is not the shop that caused all the damage. We bought the YZ off aomeone who was not exactly honest (to put it nicely). I wanted to get my husband a bike for his birthday, but funds were some what limited. I did not know anything about Dirt bike Mechanics and this was my husbands first bike, so neither did he.

With in 2 weeks of owning in we had the detination and had to replace the cylinder and the pistons. We discovered that the detiation was caused by a faulty CDI so we had to replace that also.:thumbsup: The shop has only charged us for about 1/4 of the shop time that they have put into the bike. In fact they are allways hooking us up. We had street bikes before this.

The guys at the shop are awsome, in fact I probably would have thrown this bike over a cliff a long time ago if it was not for them. They could not believe that someone JB welded the carburator. They are really going out of there way to try to get the part we need so that we do not have to buy a new Carb.

The only person that I can really be mad at is myself for not knowing more before we made our purchase.

I checked ebay, and they have a ton of Keihin Carbs, but no CR's.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• granthamtm

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:48 PM

Fuel coming from the over flow is normally caused by one of 4 problems:

1. Dirt is stuck between the float valve and seat.

I looked into this one already, it was good.

2. The float valve is worn and needs replaced.

3. The float height is not adjusted correctly.

4. The float has a hole in it and needs replaced.

THe other three I will talk to the shop about tomm. Thanks so much for all the help.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Search on e-Bay for "FCR Carb" There are several available...

• Solo

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:17 PM

[..] The guys at the shop are awsome, in fact I probably would have thrown this bike over a cliff a long time ago if it was not for them. They could not believe that someone JB welded the carburator. They are really going out of there way to try to get the part we need so that we do not have to buy a new Carb.

I'm sorry. I missunderstood you to think that the shop did the JB-Fvck to the carb. Like others have said, watch ebay. Search for 'fcr', or 'fcr wr', or 'fcr yz' to narrow it down a bit. Your 99 has the convoluted octapus hot start system. With a newer carb you could clean some of that mess up. If I were you I'd work closely with the shop to find a carb that will work for your bike. There are probably several on eBay but they all have slight differences that will need to be dealt with.

On a side note- if you can get the bike running it'll be one hell of a bike. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:30 AM

You should add a float stuck down by varnish, but of course, that's the least likely in this case, since it's just back from the shop. Right?

It might also be caused by the float hinge being bent and binding.

Very good points. I didn't think about the float pin/hinge possibly being bent. I can see where that could cause some problems.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Sounds like a real project.....
Guys could the Edlebrock be a better alternative, cheaper to a FCR? Also wasn't the FCR for that year bike smaller than the years after? That year FCR was a bear to deal with....accel pump exposed as well as crappy hot start system....

you have 2 options as I see it. Both totally up to you

Fix it and deal with the cost and final results...try to forget how much $$ it took to repair it and enjoy
or
cut your losses....that bike is a decent bike but the years following it are so much better, more refined.

I think at some point the law of diminishing returns have to kick in.....I would not invest too much more $$$ into this bike....it could also bring more money if sold by parting it out if this is a consideration or as a completed bike if selling it is an option

Good luck....:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:37 AM

They could not believe that someone JB welded the carburator.

Oh, I can. :thumbsup:

If you run out of ideas, try http://www.sudco.com/ for the carb parts.

Very good points. I didn't think about the float pin/hinge possibly being bent. I can see where that could cause some problems.

Given the "work" done on the carb, it seems like a good suspect, too.

• granthamtm

Posted September 07, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Wow, I can not believe the response that I have gotten from everyone on this site. Thank you all so much. I posted my problem to a couple other sites and hands down you guys offered the most advice.

Well, like I was saying the shop that I go to rocks. (It just sucks we bought a bike with tons of problems) The owner of the shop ended up getting the O rings and Gasket. Hopefully I will have the bike by COB today.:thumbsup:

I also talked to them about the float hinge possibly being bent and the float height being off. They said that they looked at the float, but that they would look again to make sure.

I will let everyone know how she runs when I get her back.:bonk:

Thanks again for all the help.:ride:

• Solo

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:57 PM

When you get'er back and running good check over on the Southwest forum for some good rides. We've got a nice single track ride setup for tomorrow.

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=50

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.