Will a 110 link chain fit?

10 replies to this topic
  • heavyhitter

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:16 PM

On a xr650L with a 15t -48t set up? how bout a 15t-49t. Any one do this and know this for a fact?

• heavyhitter

Posted September 07, 2007 - 07:56 AM

bump.

• xr650l bum

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I would suggest that you go with a longer chain. I get the longer chain with a couple extra masters. This way you can check it with the gears you like and make it the excact length you want. Then keep the extra chain and masters with you incase you break on the trail.

• COAL RUN

Posted September 07, 2007 - 08:53 AM

These are the combos that i know will work 14/45 (same ratio as 15/48) 14/48 & the stock 15/45. never tryed the 15/48 as the front sprocket is quicker to change

• flyin vee

Posted September 07, 2007 - 12:39 PM

I am running 15/48 and the 110 link chain seems to be working ok. The adjuster is let all the way out and it has just enough slack, ( I believe that to be 1 5/8 inches). Hope this helps. ozzy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:02 PM

I've run my L with 15/48 and it fit fine.

• heavyhitter

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:23 PM

cool thanks guys

• focallength

Posted September 08, 2007 - 11:35 AM

the 110 desgination is for engine size( a bigger engine will use a sturdier chain and a smaller engine will use a less sturdy chain), it has nothing to do with length. All chains come longer than needed. Just adjust then to the correct length, when I install my chain I like it shorter than most (I find that in my case it dosent "stretch" as much) I usually adjust it so it sits at 9 or 10 on the adjuster when its brand new. You could be different, youll have to find what works for you and the brand of chain you use.

On a further note try running an unbroken chain, they are much stonger than one with a master link in it. Instead of installing the master link in the chain just break one of the links, hook the cahin up and reinstall the link.

oh and although it has nothing to do with the chain I run a 14/45

• heavyhitter

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:01 PM

the 110 desgination is for engine size( a bigger engine will use a sturdier chain and a smaller engine will use a less sturdy chain), it has nothing to do with length. All chains come longer than needed. Just adjust then to the correct length, when I install my chain I like it shorter than most (I find that in my case it dosent "stretch" as much) I usually adjust it so it sits at 9 or 10 on the adjuster when its brand new. You could be different, youll have to find what works for you and the brand of chain you use.

On a further note try running an unbroken chain, they are much stonger than one with a master link in it. Instead of installing the master link in the chain just break one of the links, hook the cahin up and reinstall the link.

oh and although it has nothing to do with the chain I run a 14/45

focal,
110 is the length as in links, I think you may be confused, the chain "size" is a 520.

• focallength

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:23 PM

yeah your right sorry :thumbsup:

• barchetta

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Just today, I changed the gearing from the previous owner setup of 13/49 to 15/49.
I had to get a longer chain, plus the PO didn't take care of it, so all the o-rings were cracked. I needed one more link, so I guess that makes it a 112.
Can't tell you how much better I like the 15/49 setup. With the 13/49, it was like tractor gearing. I couldn't even take 1st gear through an intersection before I had to shift.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.