WR 450 vs DRZ 400

33 replies to this topic
  • xcracer123

Posted October 21, 2007 - 11:20 PM

The WR wins HANDS DOWN in the reliability department.

I'm not just talking smack either. I'm speaking from experience. I have owned a DRZ and know many that have owned the HONDAS.

Take it for what it's worth but that is my 2 cents.

• sonic reducer

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:51 AM

ok I pared my previous post down to make it a little more readable. anyone want to take a stab at some of those questions? I guess I'm just not grasping what it is about the DRZ that makes it a better road bike than a WR400 when I can save probably close to a grand(college student/carpenter here). not really worried about comfort much(do long mtb rides fully rigid). not worried about the filters/oil changes/valve checks. I am worried about being able to do 200+ road miles(ie back roads way up into the mountains) now and then without paranoia though it wouldn't be a common occurance.
if it's the simple fact that putting a lot of road miles on the WR is going to trash the motor prematurely I'll say uncle and get a DRZ. it just kills me to spend a lot more money on a heavier, slower, more dated machine.

anywho,

1. anyone done bags for a WR? can the subframe handle it? if it's steel I can reinforce it. I'm not above fabbing my own rack, got a pile of 7/8x.065 DOM, some 1/8 plate and all the tools.

2. anyone done something to increase oil capacity like a larger cooler, remote tank, etc?

3. what's a safe cruising speed for the WR with stock gearing? geared up? geared down?

4. what does it generally cost to rebuild the motor if the only thing I farm out is the machine work?

5. If I run synth rotella, don't rev the shit out of the bike all the time, cruise it under 5 or 6krpm(?), be religious with the maintenance could a WR400 reach DRZ longevity with my intended usage?

• jpoehls

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Ultra Super Sonic:

The DRZ is better on the road, but that is not saying much. Neither of these bikes are real comfortable road bikes. They both handle marginally at 70 MPH in lots of traffic. You will be holding on in either case, less so with the DRZ, but its not like driving a Goldwing or a crotch rocket. The next best step would be to super moto either a DRZ, WR, KTM or whatever to smooth the ride.

Both bikes have uncomfortable seats for driving long distances. It does not matter if you buy a KTM, Honda, Husky or whatever dual purpose bike. They all do not handle like a dream on the street. It comes down to weight. The street bikes have enough weight to make them easier to handle at higher speeds. That in itself presents issues in the dirt. Therefore you have some opposition that will always present itself unless a technological marvel comes to market (still waiting and somewhat pessimistic it will happen soon).

Performance wise. The WR kicks the DRZ's arse. Not that the DRZ does not have plenty of power, but the WR has serious power... I owned an 06 DRZ and sold it for the 07 WR (ouch, an expensive lesson). Perhaps the DRZ is a bit more bullet proof, but the WR is neck and neck. I just change the oil a little more often on the WR...its very easy.

Once you get off road, enter the real difference between the bikes. Night and day on effort to handle due to weight off road.

Therefore I give the edge to WR. Surely the DRZ owners will argue this one.

• dugabrams

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Ultra Super Sonic:

The DRZ is better on the road, but that is not saying much. Neither of these bikes are real comfortable road bikes. They both handle marginally at 70 MPH in lots of traffic. You will be holding on in either case, less so with the DRZ, but its not like driving a Goldwing or a crotch rocket. The next best step would be to super moto either a DRZ, WR, KTM or whatever to smooth the ride.

Both bikes have uncomfortable seats for driving long distances. It does not matter if you buy a KTM, Honda, Husky or whatever dual purpose bike. They all do not handle like a dream on the street. It comes down to weight. The street bikes have enough weight to make them easier to handle at higher speeds. That in itself presents issues in the dirt. Therefore you have some opposition that will always present itself unless a technological marvel comes to market (still waiting and somewhat pessimistic it will happen soon).

Performance wise. The WR kicks the DRZ's arse. Not that the DRZ does not have plenty of power, but the WR has serious power... I owned an 06 DRZ and sold it for the 07 WR (ouch, an expensive lesson). Perhaps the DRZ is a bit more bullet proof, but the WR is neck and neck. I just change the oil a little more often on the WR...its very easy.

Once you get off road, enter the real difference between the bikes. Night and day on effort to handle due to weight off road.

I agree with most of the above, with one exception. These bikes are squirly at freeway speeds mostly due to knobby tires, and a distant second is their light weight, after that, maybe the off road front fender catching too much wind. Thats why I think you should get a second set of wheels. The DRZ handles neerly as good as any 400 street bike with street tires mounted. It handles much better with the stock Trailwing duelsport tires on blacktop, even at 90mph. Just don't go off road with those or you will learn why they are nick named "deathwings".

The WR motor is designed to be seriously romped on all day long and will be at the top of the reliability list. Through town or even a Super Moto track, no problem. It is not designed to be kept at a consistant freeway RPM for long periods of time, mainly due to a short piston skirt. I personally don't see why anybody would go for long freeway rides on any dualsport.

All this being said, if top performance is ultimately going to drive your decision (like it did mine), then forget the DRZ and find a blue bike with a plate.

• Nostalgic

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Ultra Super Sonic:

:crazy: Well said. I agree. For slight benefits on the road, you would sacrifice a TON on the dirt. :D

Those DRZ's, while great bikes, are not great on the dirt like a WR. Just look at them, they look like a full dresser on a trail. :applause:

• flingshot

Posted October 28, 2007 - 06:23 PM

Wow you have opened up a "bonefide" can of worms with this one. The bottom line is that NO bike does everything well but the DRZ comes way closer than anything for the money. I have ridden a WR on the road and I would sacrifice a bit on the dirt for the safe ride home.

• C-P

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:57 PM

I had to tow a buddy's '03 DRZ 400 about 5 miles back to the trailer with my '98 WR 400 this summer. Cam sprocket had fallen right off in the motor...and it had never been removed since new. Love my old horse! :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dugabrams

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:54 AM

That has got to be a very rare occurance. Stock DRZ's may be the most bulletproof water cooled dirt bike, ever.

• MXJunky

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I had to tow a buddy's '03 DRZ 400 about 5 miles back to the trailer with my '98 WR 400 this summer. Cam sprocket had fallen right off in the motor...and it had never been removed since new. Love my old horse! :worthy:

Not as rare as you might think.

Posted Image

The above picture is from MXJunkys '02 DRZ400E. MXJunky bought the bike new, slapped a Baja Designs kit on it, and was a dual sportin' fool, until 1500 miles had passed and the nut on the primary drive shaft backed off, causing catastrophic valve slappage. MXJunky'll never own another Suzuki for that reason alone. Get the Yam!

• dugabrams

Posted November 02, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Don't get me wrong, I sold my boring DRZ and now have a sweet plated wr450, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I made that switch because of the fun factor though. The Yami, by it's higher HP nature, will require a little more maintenance and be a little less reliable than a DRZ. Things like valve adjustments, more frequent oil changes, ect.
Looking at your pic, I would say I am kinda impressed that the valves didn't break off. Somebody recently posted a pic of a catastrophic WR valve "clearence" problem, and the valves broke off, bounced around, knocked holes in the piston, scared the cylinder walls, pieces of the piston fell into the crankcase, ect. Your pic, seems less than "catastrophic", as all she needed may have been new valves.

• MXJunky

Posted November 02, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Don't get me wrong, I sold my boring DRZ and now have a sweet plated wr450, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I made that switch because of the fun factor though. The Yami, by it's higher HP nature, will require a little more maintenance and be a little less reliable than a DRZ. Things like valve adjustments, more frequent oil changes, ect.
Looking at your pic, I would say I am kinda impressed that the valves didn't break off. Somebody recently posted a pic of a catastrophic WR valve "clearence" problem, and the valves broke off, bounced around, knocked holes in the piston, scared the cylinder walls, pieces of the piston fell into the crankcase, ect. Your pic, seems less than "catastrophic", as all she needed may have been new valves.

Yes, all she needed was valves. It was catastrophic in the sense that the valves were ****ed, and the bike left MXJunky stranded. MXJunky had never been screwed over by a bike that was so young like that, it was a slap in the face. Suzuki is on MXJunkys short list of sickle manufacturers who will never see his business.

• dugabrams

Posted November 02, 2007 - 11:05 AM

You are not very upset with Suzuki. You need to really blast them good for this injustice!

• dugabrams

Posted November 02, 2007 - 11:07 AM

If you would have called me, I would have gave you a ride out of harms way thanks to the cool buddy pegs. My wife and kids miss those.

• beezer

Posted November 02, 2007 - 11:08 AM

A DRZ-400 is for the entry level geeber who cruises gay bars, glory holes and places like that.

REAL he-men like myself and Moto Junky ride WR450's.

A street legal WR450 is a fun bike!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.