WR 450 vs DRZ 400

33 replies to this topic
  • bonafide

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:30 AM

For dual sporting/commuting. Is it worth it to DS the WR or is it just not as reliable for road miles? I know the DRZ is much more tame but I have heard that the DRZ motor is "XR bullet proof" and I am not as sure of the high performance WR motor. Thoughts?

• erickdj

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:33 AM

The WR motor is VERY "bullet proof", that's pretty much the answer you'll get from everyone here. If you can make the wr street legal in your state then definitely go for the WR. It will be lighter and more fun to ride than the DRZ, with no reliability issues.

• Sundog

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:33 AM

I own a DRZ and for dual sport/commuting (if there was a lot of commuting) I would still choose the DRZ.

However, that being said I ride 99.8% of my time in the dirt. I believe my next bike will be a WR because of this. The suspension of the '07s I rode (whether 450 or 250) were really, really nice. For dirt...the WR. Just my $.02

• PROWLER 58

Posted September 06, 2007 - 12:08 PM

I have a new WR450 and love it, but Ive had 2 Drs in the past, and both were " bullet proof". And I beat the crap out of them, loved them both. When I sold them the buyers also got years of fun out of them. Ill never say a bad word about Suzuki Drs. Bob

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 06, 2007 - 02:13 PM

I don't think I'd have the restraint to keep from wheelieing stoplight to stoplight in every gear.

I'd be in jail or worse :thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:14 PM

I don't think I'd have the restraint to keep from wheelieing stoplight to stoplight in every gear.

I'd be in jail or worse :thumbsup:

hahaha, so true for some people. Good thing I'm too scared to learn how to wheelie.

• windaddiction

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Been riding racing and Dual sporting my 2004 for for over 2 years now without a problem.... other than It's time for a new battery lol...

• NavyNuke

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:42 PM

I own a DRZ and for dual sport/commuting (if there was a lot of commuting) I would still choose the DRZ.

However, that being said I ride 99.8% of my time in the dirt. I believe my next bike will be a WR because of this. The suspension of the '07s I rode (whether 450 or 250) were really, really nice. For dirt...the WR. Just my $.02

+1 having had both, the DRZ is a better road machine, holds more oil is heaver(=more stabile on highway) ect. than the WR is. then again the WR will rip it to shreds for performance everywhere.

• jpoehls

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:46 PM

I owned an 06 DRZ 400S. Spent nearly 1,600 upgrading (FCR 39 carb, pipe, tires, sprockets, etc.). It was a very good bike, and had plenty of power. It is much better on the street than the WR because it is heavier and handles better.

BUT, due to the weight of the bike (just to heavy and top heavy for my liking), I sold it and purchased an 07 WR 450 this summer. It was a very expensive lesson for me to learn. If I would have purchased the 06 and earlier DRZ 400 E (important E), I would have spent much less on upgrades (06 and earlier have the FCR MX39 carb and lower sprocket gearing), and a lighter bike, and still had it plated. Perhaps then, I may have kept it if I had the E model.

I ride 95% off road. My bike is only plated to get to various trails. The WR 450 is awesome in power, weight, and center of gravity versus the DRZ. I love the WR...could not be happier. The one thing Yamaha could do is put 6 gears on the bike like KTM, and I think it would be perfection.

The stock DRZ S is 15X45 sprocket set up and better set up for the road than the WR. If you are going to ride a lot of on road, give the DRZ serious consideration (but get an 06 or earlier E and convert with Baha kit!). If you are mainly off-road, the WR is the easy answer.

I love my WR

• bonafide

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:53 PM

I would like to be able to ride to work a couple of days a week- city riding 34 miles round trip. I would also like to be able to ride to trails ~ 30-40 miles country roads and very little high way.

Still pick the WR?

I came from a Honda 450X and they are not as bullet proof as the DRZ.
I wonder if the WR reliability is more in line with the Suzuki or the Honda?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:34 PM

I would like to be able to ride to work a couple of days a week- city riding 34 miles round trip. I would also like to be able to ride to trails ~ 30-40 miles country roads and very little high way.

Still pick the WR?

I came from a Honda 450X and they are not as bullet proof as the DRZ.
I wonder if the WR reliability is more in line with the Suzuki or the Honda?

Closer to the zook by far. I'm not starting a "yamaha is better than honda" tirade, I am simply stating the truth.

There have been riders that got 8000-10000 miles on the top end of a 450x, but based on my research in that forum that is the exception to the rule.

• dugabrams

Posted September 07, 2007 - 07:30 AM

I bought a drz S new in '02 and have nothing bad to say about it. It has a powerful motor and was excellent on pavement. It was very plush when on fire roads and easy to control in open areas. On a mx track, it would wear you out pretty quick do to it's heavy weight and bottom out on big jumps. On tight single track woods riding, the weight would be a problem again. It's more than the pysical weight, it's the feel of heavyness. There is simply no way to change that, even with a diet and suspension mods.

After owning it for a few years, I became bored with the power. I added a fcr39, pipe, gearing ect. and power was improved, but not impressive. I bought my son a '03 WR250 and we raced on pavement several times. My DRZ would beat his bike about 3/4 of a bike length per gear(I am 200lbs. and he is 145). In the tight stuff, he was really starting to push me so I decided to look for another bike.

Enter an '05 plated WR450. Just free mods and a YZ450 ex. cam. Compared to my drz, it feels much lighter in the tight stuff, handles way better on an mx track, doesnt wear me out nearly as quick and will blow past my sons WR250 like he is standing still. Comparing the power to the DRZ, it seems that they are not even in the same class. Even with stock gearing on the WR, it will out torque up a slow, bumpy hill in first over the drz. The tranny is the smoothest of any bike I have ever owned. The seat is a little harder, and the bike, maybe a 1/2" taller. The slimmer tank feels much more mx like when pushing it around corners fast. On the pavement, the DRZ is a little more solid feeling/sounding due to its heavier construction, but not much. The DRZ has a better E starter as the WR has the lightest possible unit and it shows.

Conclusion: The DRZ is very capable of doing just about any type of riding but if you plan on 30% or more time in the dirt, there is no question which one is superior. If you are gonna use it as a commuter bike, get a DRZ.

Whats next? I plan on putting a supermoto setup on it and comparing it to the DRZ SM down the street from me.:thumbsup: :ride: :bonk:

• face_plant

Posted September 07, 2007 - 09:46 AM

yay finally my .01
at our shop i have a wr450, a co worker has a z400 sm
i am running totally stock except the throttle stop and exhaust
i have 21/18 "street"tires he has the motards his bike is built to the max and i spank him on the straights "he was a perfessional dirt racer" in the day
he out corners me 90% of the time. when my motards get here i will fill you in

i have 9k miles now or there about 1 valve check and 1 water pump
i would guess to say 7000-8000miles are above 55 mph, i use it as a daily commuter 34 miles each day to work. yes the seat sucks and yes if i get 1 more ticket i am walking to work, 2 reckless op's and 1 speeding ticket

but who cares its BLUE and my butt hurts but its a blast

• jpoehls

Posted September 09, 2007 - 09:05 AM

One thing to add, the center of gravity on the 07 WR450 and the DRZ 400 is night and day. Yamaha did an excellent job on the 07 with aluminum tube frame AND putting more of the weight lower. The WR is about 50 pounds lighter than the DRZ 400S, but the weight is also positioned lower which makes the bike feel much lighter and less top heavy (on the side of a hill, if you get your weight on the wrong side, and can actually hold the WR up. The DRZ on the other hand, you will more than like lay down. The WR has lower center of gravity than the KTM EXC bikes also.

All the comments above are right on point. It all comes down to what you want. If you want to ride off road quite a bit, and not so much on road...the WR is the bike. If you are the other way around, then go DRZ. But again, get the DRZ 400 E, 06 or earlier. Its hard to believe, Suzuki made the 07 E with a Mikuni carb...a total bonehead move. If the 08 RMZ is any indication of Suzuki's direction, then the 09 DRZ may be fuel injected...and they need to make it with Aluminum Tube frame.

If Suzuki would take the 08 RMZ450 and put electric start, etc on it like a WR...well then, they would have a bike to complete with the WR. I complement Suzuki for going back to 5 gears and the fuel injection on the 08 RMZ (that is one sweet bike). The DRZ is a heavy pig, and dinosaur. I am still amazed the direction Suzuki took with the 07 and 08 DRZ...they are franky 2 years too late and that is assuming they will make the upgrades with the 09.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 09, 2007 - 02:06 PM

For dual sporting/commuting. Is it worth it to DS the WR or is it just not as reliable for road miles? I know the DRZ is much more tame but I have heard that the DRZ motor is "XR bullet proof" and I am not as sure of the high performance WR motor. Thoughts?

I have a plated 05 wr450. Its great. But I wouldn't ride it to work. Its barely acceptable as a street bike. Although many people ride their WR's on the street, they tolerate it, but they can't really enjoy it.

It you are going to ride on the street with any sense of regularity, get the drz. If you are going to ride in the dirt in challenging terrain and only use paved roads to get gas, lunch and connect trails, then get the wr. This is what I do.

You have to decide whether or not you want a dual sport bike or if you want a dirtbike with a plate. There is a big difference there.

Why not just have two bikes. That's what i do. You'll enjoy that much more.

• flingshot

Posted October 18, 2007 - 09:38 PM

I have a buddy with a WR 450 and I ride a DRZ 400s. We go trail riding and we drive on about 30 miles of paved roads to get there and then another 20 miles of dirt roads and trails, then of course 30 miles of paved roads to get back. Although he smokes me in the back woods and on the trails he is pretty beat up when we get home due to the street riding. He constantly complains about his butt hurting and the bike beating him to death. I have to go slower than I want to so he don't whine. Get the DRZ s model and make a few changes to make it more dirt worthy. It is definately the better choice if you are going to be doing a lot of around town riding!!!!!!

• sonic reducer

Posted October 21, 2007 - 02:09 AM

has anyone on here done mods to their WR to make it more street worthy?
I'm in the same place as the OP right now, in the market for a DS and searching for reasons not to go DRZ or DR650.
there is a WR400's for sale here around $1500obo in need of carb work, and DRZ's are hardly ever under $2500. Ive seen 450's near that. I can afford 2500 but $1000 worth of mods or repair budget to a WR sounds a hell of a lot cooler to me.
-anyone done bags for a WR? can the subframe handle it?
-is the lighting/charging adequate for the road or does that need mods?
-anyone done something to increase oil capacity like a larger cooler, remote tank, etc?
-are there lowering links for a WR? I'm 5'8" with about a 32" inseam.
-anyone swapped in a DRZ motor?:crazy:
-what's a comfortable cruising speed for the WR with stock gearing?
seat seems to be a sore point for the street, it can definitely have some foam added.
I'd be riding maybe 3x/week to work 3 miles each way, 30-60 miles on the road to the trail and back, maybe some light camping off the bike, portions of the trans america trail, etc. how much do top end jobs usually run if the only thing I farm out is the machine work? I have no problem changing the oil and valve checks once a month. top end job once a year would be kinda hardcore for me.
sorry for the long winded post I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the different options out there.

• DNZ171

Posted October 21, 2007 - 02:19 AM

Definetly go WR unless you like the a block of lead in yellow plastics ,heard of new bikes with water in oil problems .:crazy:

• PeterJ

Posted October 21, 2007 - 06:37 AM

I have an '03 DRZ kicker that is street legal. It is the ultimate do all bike for someone who does not need an E button. I bought it new (carry over) and have less than $5K in it. It has alot of mods for the $$ put in it. I used to comute 8 miles on it and have put on up to 30 miles of highway to trail miles on it. It is very comfortable (for what it is) on the street, and is as fun on the trail or natural moto track as any bike. The trick is to not switch back and forth between the DRZ and a lighter bike.

The K is slightly quicker than an E (lighter flywheel) and is 13 lbs lighter. It is 42lbs lighter than the S.

It takes alot of set-up to get the DRZ serious though. I have Renthal bars, Applied TTC, GPR stabilizer (shared with my CR250), IMS GP tank (lower seat junction), GUTS tall seat foam and gripper cover, FMF Q2 silencer, and suspension that is sprung and valved for my weight (I do that part myself). The dual sport kit is my own design also, using Baja Design's switch assembly, blinkers/mounts, and an LED tail light. The kicker has no battery but the DRZ kicker altinator is a three phase 150W (the E and S have a 200W) unit and it powers EVERYTHING at IDLE at FULL POWER!

If you can find a DRZ kicker, make sure it has a M.S.O. Set up, it is an awsome bike.

• dugabrams

Posted October 21, 2007 - 06:50 AM

has anyone on here done mods to their WR to make it more street worthy?
I'm in the same place as the OP right now, in the market for a DS and searching for reasons not to go DRZ or DR650.
there is a WR400's for sale here around $1500obo in need of carb work, and DRZ's are hardly ever under $2500. Ive seen 450's near that. I can afford 2500 but $1000 worth of mods or repair budget to a WR sounds a hell of a lot cooler to me.
-anyone done bags for a WR? can the subframe handle it?
-is the lighting/charging adequate for the road or does that need mods?
-anyone done something to increase oil capacity like a larger cooler, remote tank, etc?
-are there lowering links for a WR? I'm 5'8" with about a 32" inseam.
-anyone swapped in a DRZ motor?:crazy:
-what's a comfortable cruising speed for the WR with stock gearing?
seat seems to be a sore point for the street, it can definitely have some foam added.
I'd be riding maybe 3x/week to work 3 miles each way, 30-60 miles on the road to the trail and back, maybe some light camping off the bike, portions of the trans america trail, etc. how much do top end jobs usually run if the only thing I farm out is the machine work? I have no problem changing the oil and valve checks once a month. top end job once a year would be kinda hardcore for me.
sorry for the long winded post I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the different options out there.

From your description above, you sound like a future DRZ owner to me. You should find an clean early E model, with a factory FCR carb, covert it to dualsport, maybe change to blue or black plastics and get a set of motard wheels. You would have years of fun, commuting and camping.
If you change into a mostly dirt guy at some point, get a WR. Oh, and by the way, I have owned all of the above setups.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.