HRC 628 Kit - Worth it?

13 replies to this topic
  • troppo

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi everyone.
I just came back from a 2000km ride on my '98 XR600, and used 5 litres of oil. I was burning it. My engine was making a nasty rattling noise as well. I've only got 10,000km on the clock, but i dropped the bike in a big muddy puddle after i bought it and so i think some crud got in the cylinder and scored it.
Anyway, I can get a HRC 628 kit including cylinder, piston, cam, etc etc for about the same price as reboring and resleeving my current cylinder.
Is it worth the upgrade, and will my engine still be bulletproof? I run to some pretty remote places (epirb anyone?) so that's why I have this bike in the first place. Basic, simple and reliable.

• weskc35k

Posted September 05, 2007 - 11:56 PM

Do it.
It's the best bore kit for the xr600 also check your gears and dogs as the hardfacing can wear offf've 2nd&3rd with a bit of a hop up and or age.

• creeky

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Do it.
It's the best bore kit for the xr600 also check your gears and dogs as the hardfacing can wear offf've 2nd&3rd with a bit of a hop up and or age.

Good point on the gears. I had a '98 HRC 628 for a few years, WP suspension both ends, Yosh exhaust, Edelbrock carb. I ran the snot out of it (as long as I could hold on), very reliable, never had a mechanical issue, changed oil and adjusted the valves a couple of times. Since it sounds like the engine ingested some grit, might be a good idea to do a complete teardown and inspect everything, oil pump internals, bearings, bushings, rocker arm and cam faces, etc.

• surfnride

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:45 AM

Leave it stock. Big bores burn up clutches faster, run a little hotter. The gain in power is not worth sacrificing reliability.

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:14 AM

Had the HRC kit in my 600 and it ran great. I did not like having to use race fuel or atleast 100 octane, recommended in the manual. Secondly leave the high compression piston out of the rebuild, it makes the bike easy to stall in tight stuff. Open dez and it ran like a stipped jack ass.It's a good kit and well proven for reliability.

• creeky

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:57 AM

Had the HRC kit in my 600 and it ran great. I did not like having to use race fuel or atleast 100 octane, recommended in the manual. Secondly leave the high compression piston out of the rebuild, it makes the bike easy to stall in tight stuff. Open dez and it ran like a stipped jack ass.It's a good kit and well proven for reliability.

Good advice on the compression recommendation. Mine had the high comp piston, wouldn't run right on anything less than 50/50 93 and Turbo Blue or race gas.

• nate992v

Posted September 06, 2007 - 02:47 PM

Like XR4DEZ said, leave it with the lower compression piston. Messing around mixing 93 octane with race gas or octane boost is a pain. Expecially when you're out in the boondocks. With the cam, you'll loose a bit of low end, but it helps it breathe on top.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • veetwo tls

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:50 PM

do it you wont regret it :thumbsup:
just add barnett H/D clutch springs & if you go for the JE: hi comp piston like i did & want to run reg fuel. just use 2 x base gaskets to drop the comp :ride:

+1 on the gears

Posted Image
Posted Image

• rmhrc630

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:29 AM

My HRC kitted 628 is a beast - I really recommend the kit.

Posted Image

• husky123

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:07 AM

My HRC kitted 628 is a beast - I really recommend the kit.

Posted Image

Damn everytime I see that bike it gives me shivers.:thumbsup:

• crmc33

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:52 AM

with ref to the clutch,

Im using bog standard plates and springs on my heavily tuned 675 road racer and no slipping so far. Obviously depends on type of use and riding style.
If it shows signs of slippage. I'll preload the springs a little or use kevlar race plates

• weskc35k

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:06 PM

The 628 package can ping a little bit from memory dude so build a little leeway into your setup.
The dogs in the box should be looked at as they can bend with this kit.
The 628 kit is almost bombproof with a new motor.Go over everything while she's in bits.

• surfnride

Posted September 08, 2007 - 06:07 AM

Hi everyone.

Is it worth the upgrade, and will my engine still be bulletproof? I run to some pretty remote places (epirb anyone?) so that's why I have this bike in the first place. Basic, simple and reliable.

After re-reading the original question, I second my response. Basic, simple, reliable....all that goes out the window with a big-bore...Remote places? Sounds like a job for a stock 600.

• troppo

Posted September 10, 2007 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I took my engine to pieces, and a mechanic mate came to look at the bits. He said the bore was the worst he had ever seen. Apparently at some stage some water had been sitting in there. In any case, it certainly was my cause for high oil consumption.
I'm a bit new to all this motorbike stuff, owned a few, but this is my first rebuild.
I'm thinking the HRC kit because it's made by honda, it includes all the bits and pieces I have to replace, and will give me a bit more torque for when I'm loaded up.
I dont really know about hi-comp pistons or whatever, the kit just comes with a piston that fits the barrel it comes with. But seeing as fuel quality can be a bit dodgy out in the more remote communities, I like the double gasket idea to lower comp.
So for me, easy is good, plus I live in a small remote town, so parts and stuff I have to find on the internet usually.
I feel pretty confident now the HRC kit will be reliable for long journeys, with maybe a bit of extra cooling.
Cheers!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.