whats the financial damage for me?

4 replies to this topic
  • ttr225guy

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:39 PM

So basically, the oil on my 02 wr426 was being changed and the drain plug was turned the wrong way. to fix it, we tried the heelacoil, but didnt have the right screw so we were rushing. Then we tried a self tapping screw, which completely cracked offf the bottom of the crank case:crazy: whats the damage? anyone done this? what did you do

• Birdy426

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:05 PM

Do you mean the screw "cracked off" in the bottom of the case, or when tightening the screw, you cracked the case? Pics would be helpful...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmarty

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:09 PM

sounds like you got in a hell of a mess. As said above you might want to post some pics to give us a better idea of what happened. I think it's beyond JB weld solution, though

• ttr225guy

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:36 AM

Do you mean the screw "cracked off" in the bottom of the case, or when tightening the screw, you cracked the case? Pics would be helpful...

yes, i cracked off the bottom putting the screw in. ill try to get some pics later today

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Something similar happened to my XR250 years ago. I boogered up the oil plug threads and ended up trying a self-tapping bolt. It caused a hairline crack radiating about a half an inch from the hole. I "fixed" it with JB weld eventually and it didn't leak. But now I reread your post and it said the bottom of the crankcase cracked off. I think it's way beyond repair such that replacement is the only option. A new set of crankcases for an '02 is about $600. Expensive lesson.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.