bogging on bumps and jumps

7 replies to this topic
  • david_iroc

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys, i have 1998 wr400. i am having problems with my bike constantly bogging on bumpy trails or everytime i hit a jump and land the jump. i have rejetted it, adjusted the float and have checked for any airleaks. i still cannot get it to stop bogging and is starting to get REAL annoying. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• david_iroc

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:15 AM

bump!!!!

• redswr

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:34 PM

does it bog when your taking off? if not you might be trying to run it in to high of a gear...
does it smoke or anything? it might be time to rebuild it...
there are quite a few different possiblitys on why it would bog... might just have to change the spark plug...

• david_iroc

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:18 PM

does it bog when your taking off? if not you might be trying to run it in to high of a gear...
does it smoke or anything? it might be time to rebuild it...
there are quite a few different possiblitys on why it would bog... might just have to change the spark plug...

No it never boggs when taking off, doesn't smoke, and the spark had just been replaced. i know its very easy to foul a sparkplug but it has been doing this since day one of owning the bike and i have change the plug 3 times in the last month because i have been working on the jetting. as far as the rebuilding, the guy i got it from is a very trust wrothy guy and he told me the it had just gotten a new top end and new crank and 4th gear replacement about a year ago and the bike has pretty much sat for the that whole year except to go out a few times because he rides his new 450.

The bike seriously ONLY does it when it gets jarred around, like i said on any bumps or when jumping. its almost like it could be a bad wire coneection or something. it could be that but and the same time i think it has something to do with the carb. I don't know bikes all that well but I am a auto mechanic so i know the basics when it comes to bikes. i'm just looking for some advise before i spend the money to have a bike tech take a look at it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bicyclebob

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I had the same trouble with my Suzuki. I checked everything and finally figured out that the float was saturated and too heavy. The static float level was fine but when installed and filled with fuel the carb fuel level was too low. I figured this out by weighing the floats on a postal scale. Hope this helps.

• ccoates445

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:49 PM

Bob has a great place to start. A heavy float will not close the needle as quickly as it should and tend to slightly flood the carby. If that doesn't pan out, have you checked all your electrical connections? Heavy jarring can make a weak connection break contact for a split second. Let us know what you find

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 07, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I know that this comparison is about as different as one could get but years ago my son's KX85 was doing the same thing, it ended being a loose connection on one of the leads coming from the coil.... every time he would land from a jump or go thru some whoops it would be just enough to stretch the spade connections where the leads connected and the bike would cut out or just plain die for a while... I drove my self nuts with the carb trying to figure it out... I would put it in the truck not running, take it home and after presure washing it would start right up, this puzzled me so I started thinking harder (this hurts:crazy:).... anyway it turned out that while washing the bike enuf water would get into the little rubber boot at the coil wire connection and would make continuity so the bike would run...

In short... I would suggest checking all electrical connections for strained or marginal connections.

Good Luck:ride:

• david_iroc

Posted September 10, 2007 - 03:00 PM

well, i do think it is a float problem, but i think it is just adjusted wrong. i adjusted it yesturday but i rasied it and it got alt worse

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.