Oversized Tank questions

5 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted September 05, 2007 - 06:23 AM

I purchased a oversized IMS tank for my bike a while back for a deal I could not pass up off of ebay. I got around to installing yesterday and realized 2 things that I thought were weird. First off the fuel petcock is on the right hand side instead of the left like the stock tank. Obviously I will have to get a longer fuel line and run it over the carb to the input. That problem is solved. Now that it is on the bike though I realize that the "wing" for lack of better words where the petcock is mounted is lower than the input to the carb by an inch or 2. Will this be a problem? Isn't the carb gravity fed from the tank? :thumbsup:

• YZRob

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:02 AM

It is gravity fed, but the pressure from the fuel in the tank should push it into the carb. The problem will come when the fuel runs low, the fuel will only drop to the highest point of the line.

• racerxx276

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:19 AM

Just run the fuel line up over the carb and then down to the intake. This will cause it to siphon the remaining gas out of the tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Just run the fuel line up over the carb and then down to the intake. This will cause it to siphon the remaining gas out of the tank.

A siphon depends on the discharge end of the tube being lower than the source from which the fluid is drawn. Fluid can then be raised to almost any height as long as the drop to the discharge point is greater than the height from the source. But fluid cannot be siphoned from a lower point to a higher one.

My IMS on the '03 is like the setup described except that it has a left hand petcock and a crossover line. Both of these lines route up and over things, and the fuel inlet on the carb is higher than the bottom of the tank. In watching the fuel while draining the tank to change it with the stocker, I have found that the crossover does indeed siphon from one side to the other perfectly. However, when I hold the fuel line at the level at which it terminates on the carb, the fuel does run up and over the loop in the line, but will not drain below the height of the carb. This leaves about a quart of unusable gas in the tank. You could, in a pinch, blow air into the tank and push gas into the float bowl that way, but you would need to repeat this every mile or so to keep running.

• Wiz636

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Make sure that you secure the fuel line so that it will not come into contact with the header or the clamp between the header and silencer. I learned this the hard way.

• ben_suhard

Posted September 08, 2007 - 04:14 AM

the "wing" for lack of better words where the petcock is mounted is lower than the input to the carb by an inch or 2. Will this be a problem? Isn't the carb gravity fed from the tank? :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that the forward motion of the bike as well as the front end lifting while riding should allow you to run the tank dry.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.