Clarke 4 vs 4.7 differences

6 replies to this topic
  • heavyhitter

Posted September 05, 2007 - 05:37 AM

Is there a big difference in size and bulkiness? I decided on the Clarke but not the size. Id like to keep the bike trim and mean.

• JackAttack

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Would probably be a good idea to identify what bike it is going on.

In any case, I have both a Clark 4.5 and a IMS 3.2 tanks for my 650R. Size-wise, they both work great and the feel is similar.

However, I seem to run the larger tank most of the time on my bike even if I'm going short distance. Having the larger tank has never been a nuisance...but has come in handy many times.

I only run the smaller tank for races...but lately have been running the larger tank at races to help with pit strategy.

• COAL RUN

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:43 AM

If you are asking about the 650L The 4.0 is much slimer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heavyhitter

Posted September 05, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Yes the XR650L..my bad

• evomx971

Posted September 12, 2007 - 10:50 AM

I've had both the 4.0 and the 4.7 Clarke on my XR-L. I have the 4.7 on it now because I wanted the extra capacity. The 4.7 is slightly wider between the legs than the 4.0 but I really haven't noticed it while riding. I rarely ride my L up on the tank mx style. I'm ususally standing or leaning back over higher speed stuff so the width of the tank isnt' a big deal. I did have to add a second piece of padding under the tank compared to the 4.0 to make sure it clears the cyl head on the right side.

IMO the 4.0 is slightly better looking. If you aren't desparate for the capacity, get the 4.0. If you really need the extra gas, the 4.7 works fine.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 12, 2007 - 11:24 AM

I've had both the 4.0 and the 4.7 Clarke on my XR-L. I have the 4.7 on it now because I wanted the extra capacity. The 4.7 is slightly wider between the legs than the 4.0 but I really haven't noticed it while riding. I rarely ride my L up on the tank mx style. I'm ususally standing or leaning back over higher speed stuff so the width of the tank isnt' a big deal. I did have to add a second piece of padding under the tank compared to the 4.0 to make sure it clears the cyl head on the right side.

IMO the 4.0 is slightly better looking. If you aren't desparate for the capacity, get the 4.0. If you really need the extra gas, the 4.7 works fine.

I agree with evomx971, if you don't need the extra capacity go with the 4.0. I myself have the 4.7 gal on my L, but I ride in places where I need the capacity. The 4.7 is a little bulbous I would say, but does not get ion the way of my riding position. I am usually up front on the seat and find that my inner knees do feel the tank...if that makes sense. The 4.0 gal is a little slimmer, and you would be giving up (if you went with the 4.0) about 40 miles of mileage capacity.

Geo

• heavyhitter

Posted September 13, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for you feed back the 4.0 is on its way!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.