Base gasket/lube

6 replies to this topic
  • mxgene

Posted September 04, 2007 - 05:52 PM

So I ordered a new piston with Cometic gasket kit for my 426. Two questions for y'all (Gray being the encyclopedia brittanica of YZ's:thumbsup: ),
1- The Cometic kit comes with a sheet metal base gasket instead of the stock paper gasket. Which is better?
2- During reassembly, which assembly lube is best for the cam and piston wrist pin?
I have some from Crane Cams but don't know if the chemicals will degrade the clutch plates.

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:13 PM

I've never seen a sheet metal base gasket. You sure that isn't the head gasket? Or do you have a thin metal shim with a gasket stuck on both sides?

Any assembly lube is OK, but just don't get crried away with it. Apply a thin coat on the cam lobes, and pre oil everything else with you favorite engine oil.

• mxgene

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I'm sure. The head gasket, is a sheet metal assembly with three layers held together with a brass rivet on each side.
The tensioner gasket, has the fiber on both sides but not the base gasket.
I am sure it is the base gasket since it has an opening for the O-ring at the case under the cylinder.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:14 PM

A metal base gasket from your Cometic kit? I just installed mine tonight and it was fiber! The head gasket was/is a 3 piece metal gasket.

• 642MX

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:34 AM

The only base gasket that I've seen that has metal in it was from a CRF450. The base gaskets for YZF's should be a fiber material. Double check that you have the right gasket kit.

• mxgene

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:54 AM

To say I was nervous about using the sheet metal gasket is an understatement.
Anyway, I called Cometic and talked with one of the tech guys. He informed me that with the EST kits (better I guess), they went away from the fiber gasket and went to the sheet metal for better sealing.

Just an FYI. I'll upload a picture so everybody can see it.

• Fastest1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:14 PM

So I got NOS? Damn! Thank god it is only a base gasket difference!

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.