Advice needed..

5 replies to this topic
  • AhamayWR426

Posted January 26, 2001 - 07:16 AM

I have just received my new 2001 wr426 after selling my drz400. I would like to know if I remove the air box snorkle and the exhaust baffle will I need to rejet?

With the manual came three jets a 160 main a 170 main and a 45 idle.

If I don't change the jets am I risking a burnt piston or valve?

Thankyou for your advice in advance

• Buck

Posted January 26, 2001 - 09:38 AM

The guys on this site know a lot about this sort of thing but you really need to give them more infromation. Things like temperature, elevation, and the type of fuel that you are running, and what the current jetting is set at.
Genneraly speaking if the bike was running fine and the plug looked good wih all of those restrictors in place then it is going to be lean after they are removed. Also you may want to take a look at what is in the carb now. My jets in my 1999 WR were not what the manual said was stock. Have fun and good luck.

• AhamayWR426

Posted January 26, 2001 - 10:47 PM

I will have to take it apart this weekend...
I was aSSuming the jets were what the manual indicated. I have not pulled the plug yet either...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted January 26, 2001 - 12:11 PM

go up on the main jet one size. i.e. 165 to 168 etc

Taffy

• jj

Posted January 26, 2001 - 05:22 PM

You might be suprised, you may not have to do anything.

I have had "0" problems with my stock jetting no air box cover or baffle.

I only recently decided to experiment with my jetting. I took James' advise and tried an EKN needle with no other mods and love it.

If I were you I'd ride it for awhile and get familiar with the bike first.

------------------
JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2001 - 06:02 PM

I need more info on 01 wr426 carb specs. I ride at about 3000-5000 elevation.
I installed wb exhaust system and modified the throttle stop.
Also took off top of air filter.

Originally posted by JJ:
You might be suprised, you may not have to do anything.

I have had "0" problems with my stock jetting no air box cover or baffle.

I only recently decided to experiment with my jetting. I took James' advise and tried an EKN needle with no other mods and love it.

If I were you I'd ride it for awhile and get familiar with the bike first.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.