XR600 stock gas tank repair?

6 replies to this topic
  • HondaRules

Posted September 04, 2007 - 10:36 AM

For some reason in this past week my gas tank started to crack. It has a bunch of cracks around the gas cap and along the front edge on both sides of the tank. I've never seen this happen before. I ride the bike about twice a month on average and it is garage stored. Does anyone know if there is some sort of epoxy to fix this or is a new tank my only option?:thumbsup: Does anyone have their stock tank laying around that they would care to sell:ride:

• Bunnin

Posted September 04, 2007 - 10:48 AM

I have cracked alot of tanks over the years and i have found that "JB Weld" is the best epoxy for filling in gaps escially on plastic tanks, its a really easy to use epoxy but needs a considerable amount of dry time, and is avaliable at almost any hardware store, its not just limited to plastic i have used it to seal cracked crank cases and much more, i always bring some with me when i ride since it will save your but when your 100 miles from civilization and need a fix quick,

just mix the 2 parts till it turns grey (one part is black the other is tan) and let it sit for a few hours (best if left over nite) and it becomes rock hard adn you can ride again

• koldsimer

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:07 PM

I have cracked alot of tanks over the years and i have found that "JB Weld" is the best epoxy for filling in gaps escially on plastic tanks, its a really easy to use epoxy but needs a considerable amount of dry time, and is avaliable at almost any hardware store, its not just limited to plastic i have used it to seal cracked crank cases and much more, i always bring some with me when i ride since it will save your but when your 100 miles from civilization and need a fix quick,

just mix the 2 parts till it turns grey (one part is black the other is tan) and let it sit for a few hours (best if left over nite) and it becomes rock hard adn you can ride again

How long have you been running the JB-welded tank? I had a friend who did that once and it was always giving him trouble. I also heard about using plastic repair kits that are intended to repair kayaks and other similar plastics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bunnin

Posted September 04, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I had a 1981 Yamaha IT 175 that i broke the tank, right on the bottom where the fuel Valve connected and i put JB weld on it and had no problems for 3-4 years and i ended up selling it with the JB weld still on,

and does anyone know how to change your screen name i spelled mine wrong it should be Burnin and it shows as Bunnin.

• Greco

Posted September 11, 2007 - 12:58 PM

I have a stock tank I'd be willing to sell to you if you need it. Since getting the Clarke tank hooked up, it just sits in the garage. PM me for details.

• HondaRules

Posted September 11, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I have a stock tank I'd be willing to sell to you if you need it. Since getting the Clarke tank hooked up, it just sits in the garage. PM me for details.

DOAH! I just bought one off of ebay last night...I'll keep this one in mind though in case the one I get isn't worthy:thumbsup:

• XReliXR

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:44 PM

You can either buy a plastic welding kit off of ebay or you can go to a local auto body shop that repairs plastic bumper covers. Just like anything tho it won't last for ever. Not wanting fuel all over my jewels after a bumpy ride I would just buy a new tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.