Damper Rod Holder a must?

2 replies to this topic
  • rxxx

Posted September 03, 2007 - 09:19 PM

I'm planning to replace the oil seal from the front forks on a 1999 WR400. The seal kit and seal driver has already been ordered. I'm having trouble finding a damper rod holder that is called out on the service book. Is this tool a must to get the job done or do you guys have an alternative idea/techniques/tools to use? Thanks in advance..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rxxx

Posted September 03, 2007 - 10:14 PM

Read the related threads that gave me the answer!

• MHubacek

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:33 AM

I just went to lowe's and made a damper rod holder for myself. It cost me about 10 dollars, and an hour of labor. I just looked at the damper rod holder in a picture, and than took my forks apart. You don't need damper rod holder to take the forks apart, you just need it to place them back together. All you need to take them apart is a pneumatic wrench for the bottom bolt while compressing the fork. Once you you separate the forks you'll see how to mold your damper rod. I used pvc pipe to make both a fork seal driver, and a damper rod holder. I've used the same homade tools for multiple fork seal replacements and they've lasted. It will save you money, especially if you have multiple bikes that require different size tools. If you have any questions, reply back.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.