For those of you that ride your YZ450f's in the woods...

15 replies to this topic
  • -Splinter

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:44 PM

I have asked similar questions before but these are more specific.

I ride in east Texas on mostly wide ATV trails and dirt roads abandoned by oil companies, so I want be riding on any really tight trails. There are a lot of natural ramps that I could jump,which is one of the reasons why I want th YZ over the WR, along with the occasional motocross track trip.

I'm 20yrs old next week, 6'1'' 160lbs, athletic/fit, work out regularly.

1.) Will woods riding damage the engine in any way? I'll be riding at speeds 20-35mph on the trails and 55mph+ on the dirt roads. Will riding at a constant high speed hurt it?

2.) Is the maintenance of the YZ different from the WR?( time, cost, regularity, etc...)

3.) How would the suspension perform in the woods at my size and weight( 6'1''? I don't expect it to be very plush and smooth so it probably won' bother me much.

4.) For those who ride the YZ in the woods, what are your experiences?

Thanks,

• NorCal

Posted September 03, 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have asked similar questions before but these are more specific.

I ride in east Texas on mostly wide ATV trails and dirt roads abandoned by oil companies, so I want be riding on any really tight trails. There are a lot of natural ramps that I could jump,which is one of the reasons why I want th YZ over the WR, along with the occasional motocross track trip.

I'm 20yrs old next week, 6'1'' 160lbs, athletic/fit, work out regularly.

1.) Will woods riding damage the engine in any way? I'll be riding at speeds 20-35mph on the trails and 55mph+ on the dirt roads. Will riding at a constant high speed hurt it?

2.) Is the maintenance of the YZ different from the WR?( time, cost, regularity, etc...)

3.) How would the suspension perform in the woods at my size and weight( 6'1''? I don't expect it to be very plush and smooth so it probably won' bother me much.

4.) For those who ride the YZ in the woods, what are your experiences?

Thanks,

I'll take a stab at your questions:

1) Hell no it won't hurt the motor. I ride anything from crawling, technical speeds to high speed desert. The Yami motor is the best.

2) Not much difference at all.

3) 160 pounds should be decent. I would definitely recommend a revalve because you want the suspension to be soft to soak up all the rocks, roots and bumps.

4) YZs are killer in the woods. I recommend handguards, skidplate, larger gas tank, and front and rear rotor guards and you'll be golden. Keep your airfilter fresh and clean and you'll have no problems.

I remember not really liking my brother's 2002 YZ426 (felt like a tractor), but the 2006+ 450 is magical. Hope that helps.

• tommyj

Posted September 03, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I also ride my 06 yz 450 in the woods...i love it!! I think wr's are cool but it just seems like everyone who has one is always trying to make it run better.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 10:18 PM

Not at all. On either bike you should change the oil about every 150 to 200 miles, clean/oil the air filter every ride, adjust the chain every 3 rides (at least thats what I've been doing) and you should check the valves every 500 miles of woods riding.

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 04, 2007 - 02:47 AM

I spent a fair amount of time with my '07 450 in the woods, and there are some simple tweaks you can perform to make the yz's more favorable to woods conditions. First gear it down. The YZ's do 90+ mph bone stock, which is of no value in the woods. Add 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket, and it makes 1st gear sweet for real technical terrain. Your suspension is going to be too stiff for the woods, but livable. Back off your compression 4 clicks and see how you like it. at 160# you will probably need to re-spring.

I weigh 155# and I am planning on a full blown re-valve and re-spring over this winter. My suspension is just too stiff even on the MX track.

The YZ's cooling system will work fine. Some riders that agressively ride the rear brakes on long rides complain of rear brake fade from the fluid boiling, from lack of fluid volume in the resovior. There is a neat kit from Zip Ty that acts as a spacer you bolt to the resivior and adds fluid volume. I never have a brake problem cause I am an MX guy, and more of a sally squid in the woods.

You never said exactly what year YZ you have, but if you have an '04 or earlier 450 you DEFINATELY need to think flywheel weight. Those pre '04 engines made brutal low end snap and will tire you quickly in the technical terrain.... My '07 is actually awesome in the woods, a very forgiving engine down low...

• NM_KDX200

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:02 AM

Drop 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket, and it makes 1st gear sweet for real technical terrain.

You mean ADD 2-3 teeth on the rear, don't you?

Othewise, I agree- those are exactly the mods I'm getting ready to do to make my '04 more off-road worthy:

1) 3 teeth on the back
2) FMF Q2, drop needle 2 clips- runs great that way.
3) Dr. D flywheel weight
4) Devol skid plate

• WB450

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:19 AM

I have a 07 450 and I went to a 51 in the rear, 3.1 IMS tank, the heavier of the two GYTR flywheels, PMB end cap, and PMB kickstand. I need to order a good skid plate.

• groundpounder450

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:22 AM

i have a 03 yz 450f and ride only woods... well theres a small track at the place i ride and i try to hit that for like a lap or 3.... i have to agree that altho the yz makes an awsome trail bike.... i went to a 52 tooth in the rear and that has help loads.... i pretty much ride only atv trails there but have been on a few single track trails and heres what i have noticed.... she don;t like the single tracks (coolinwise)... it seems like she was to be run in 3rd or better and less then that more so on the really hot days she boils.... i donno if its me or the bike as im still on my first season of riding ( i know what dumba$$ buys a 03yz450f as his first bike, this Dumba$$ right here does). i love it tho it have insain power i can romp threw the easy stuff and keeps me in there with more expericed riders. my buddy has a 08 klx450r and i have rode that a bunch to... i love that bike but nowhere near the power that mine has... now all that power may not be the best thing but if u repspect it in the woods it will get u outta alot of tuff spots.... this is what i plan on doing to mine.... as i said i went fromt he stock 48(junk in the woods) to a 52 tooth... i also have put hand gaurds on, i am going to look into the zipty mod for better throttle response... possibly a cam to increase the top end as mine seems to lack topend. i have a forestry approved exhaust altho i do not need it at the place i ride but if everyone does what the can will have places to take our kids and them there kids.... i have not figured out what to do about the heat problem tho.... i can put a higher rated cap on but that will only help it from coming out and not the fact that its too hot... sounds to me tho that the riding u will be doing is more the wide open kind wich i do not have the heat problem with... neways good luck with it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:02 AM

You mean ADD 2-3 teeth on the rear, don't you?

Yes. I meant to say gear lower, by adding 2-3 teeth on the rear. I stand corrected.

• Wiz636

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Just set the gearing and suspension for the conditions and you've got a great woods bike! I prefer the lighter weight of an MX bike when the conditions are gnarly.

• skwerlee

Posted September 04, 2007 - 12:42 PM

I ride in east Texas on mostly wide ATV trails and dirt roads abandoned by oil companies, so I want be riding on any really tight trails.

Where at in East TX? I have some land out there.

• -Splinter

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Where at in East TX? I have some land out there.

Longview

• skwerlee

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Longview

Cool, I have 165 acres in a small town close to Texarkana.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:11 PM

My 06 is a woods weapon, I couldn't be happier with it thus far. Here's what I consider the essentials to make a sweet woods ride out of the 06:

Skid plate (Works Connection in my case)
Front tire (Kenda Washougal)
Handguards (Acerbis Rally Pro with GYT-R triple clamp mounts)
Sparky (Dr. D complete stainless system)
Flywheel weight (GYT-R off-road flywheel, the heaviest one they offer)
Chain (RK X-ring)

With those mods plus whatever else you might want for personal preference stuff, you'll have a woods rocket. Enjoy it!

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:49 PM

my 52 tooth sprocket was too low. i went back to stock and grabbed a rekluse. and leaned way off on the fuel screw. seems to be working just gotta change the oil now.

• Digger01

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:49 AM

How about cutting the handlebars an inch or two to help get thru the tight spots...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.