2008 WR450 ride report

9 replies to this topic
  • ophir

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Take it for what it's worth

Ride Report WR450 2008

1. GYTR kit in place with the 45 leak jet.
2. JD Jetting Kit for 3,000 to 5,000 feet. 165 Main and 48 PJ with red needle in the fourth clip.
3. Gray wire gonzo.

With the GYTR kit and JD Jetting the bike was on the spot. In fact this has been the best jetted WR that I have owned (426, 250 and 03 450).

The bottom end is good. It is not as friendly on the tight, rocky technical sections as the KTM. It is more friendly by far over the 426 and the 03 450 in the technical.

The power hits harder than the KTM from mid to top. The top end does not feel like it hit as hard as my 426, but it is definitely more controllable. The power is really smooth. My KTM had a smooth delivery of power and this is very close to it.

The spedo is awesome. It is not operated by magnetics; however, it has a digital display. The magnetic ones like I had on my KTM worked off and on, mostly off.

The bike is quiet with the small insert removed. I have a GYTR 96 decibel insert on the way.

I love the kickstand. It is far better over my KTM.

If I had to pick a weak point of the WR, I would say the radiators are too small. I wish they would have beefed them up like Yamaha had done in the past. I hope someone will sell a bigger aftermarket one.

Overall, I am happy in going back to a WR.

Does anyone know why Yamaha put the electronics in the rear side panel and not near the front? I am thinking about moving it up there.

A tugger is a must. There is nowhere to get a handle on the bike to lift the back tire around.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Opening the airbox and putting the bigger insert in the muffler will make it come off the bottom a little better as well as make it rev out slightly better. Its not a black and white difference, but it is noticeable.

Thats funny you mention the mid to top as hitting harder than a KTM. My cousin has ridden a 450xc and he said that my bike (albiet quieter) had more beans than that KTM from the mid on up with the bottom feeling the same.

• redswr

Posted September 03, 2007 - 09:41 PM

which KTM are you refering too?

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 09:54 PM

My cousin has ridden a 450xc and he said that my bike (albiet quieter) had more beans than that KTM from the mid on up with the bottom feeling the same.

which KTM are you refering too?

I've never ridden a KATOOM, but my cousin (same one I referenced in earlier post) is hoping to pick up a 525 xc within the next week. And yes, there will be a head to head woods comparo between my bike and the 525 if he gets it.

He went about it pretty funny too. He's ridden alot of big bikes this last year (people letting him take their bikes out for a quick spin), he liked all of them but he decided that being an orange lemming is for him :thumbsup:

In all seriousness he is a big dude, and the spread out ergos of the KTM just fit him better. My bike is too cramped for his 6'2" 265 lb. frame.

I can't wait to get my grubby paws on that 525 to see what all the fuss is about.

• redswr

Posted September 03, 2007 - 10:01 PM

yeah i've been checking out the 525's too, but in supermoto form!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • suzukipoo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 11:56 PM

What are the diff between the 07 wr450 and 08?

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:06 AM

-Black clutch, ignition, clutch covers.
-Something reworked in the clutch to make it less noisey
-Thicker tank plastic to reduce fuel vaper permiation

• ophir

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:29 AM

My KTM was a 450 EXC, just sold it last week. I would agree with the mid to top on the wr hitting harder, but I still hold to the bottom end of the KTM being better and more workable; however, this will change for 08 when the 450 KTMs will have direct pressure valves and no longer have the lifter/rockers.

I opended the airbox.

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:53 AM

6 months now with the 07' and I have not had any issues with picking the bike up by the rear fender grasping it right behind the side plate... no white marks or anything... tuggers are cool but the fender seems to work good:ride:

• SXP

Posted September 05, 2007 - 12:10 PM

... tuggers are cool but the fender seems to work good:ride:

Agree. The fender is pretty beefed up in that area and seems to handle being a handle (damn I'm funny!) quite well. I still miss the cut outs from my 400, though.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.