Carb (NOT jetting) question - new!

4 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Does anyone know what is under the small round cover with the hose on it and two screws on the "L" carb? It's near and to the rear of where the throttle cable bracket is on the right side. I had mine blocked off, but I'm told it should be connected to a nipple in the front of the carb. Supposedly there's a diaphram in there. What's in there, what does it do and what would be the symptoms of a malfunction????

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:30 PM

That would be the air cut off valve and it does have a diaphragm and associated spring. The nipple for the valve should be connected to the nipple on the front of the carb (nearest to engine on the top) and if you still have the smog pump it would be connected to that as well.

As for symptoms... If the nipple on the front of the carb is open to atmosphere I would imagine it would cause a very lean condition as its a huge vacuum leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryanthegreat1

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Ok after pulling this carb on my desk apart I really have no clue as to what that valve does other than control he flow of air.

From what I can tell the valves action is controlled via vacuum and under heavy vacuum the valve is in an open state, such as at idle and decel. Opening the valve opens a path for air from the underside of the CV slide's diaphragm to the float bowl.

And that is as much as I know. If someone could chime in on which direction the air is flowing through this valve and how it affects things please help!

In the mean time its off to learn just how these constant velocity carbs do their magic.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I found it! The air cut off valve serves to richen the air fuel mixture when the throttle is closed. Without the valve working the mixture goes lean on closed throttle causing the exhaust popping under deceleration.

http://members.aol.c...ndr1/CVK40.html
About the middle of the page has the info.

• Bibleman

Posted September 03, 2007 - 07:07 PM

OK, all this would make perfect sense because I had everything blocked off and was still getting a little deceleration popping. I just connected the two aforementioned outlets and will see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the info guys!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.