XR650L Steeering Stem Tweaked?

5 replies to this topic
  • AtomicGeo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Steering stem tweaked ??? I am not sure, but when I ride my handle bars (and instruments panel, etc.) are oh so slightly turning to the right, but my wheel is going straight ahead. Is there a way to determine this w/o ripping out everything in the front? Is there ab adjustment or cheap fix? A new one is almost $300! :thumbsup:

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Steering stem tweaked ??? I am not sure, but when I ride my handle bars (and instruments panel, etc.) are oh so slightly turning to the right, but my wheel is going straight ahead. Is there a way to determine this w/o ripping out everything in the front? Is there ab adjustment or cheap fix? A new one is almost $300! :ride:

A thought just occurred to me...follow-up question: Can I just loosen the triple clamps and steering clamp and the take the bike to the curb and knock it back into alignment?
:thumbsup:

• Hooter4444

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:21 AM

It happens to me after going through some rough trail, or if the bike get gets laid down. The forks get tweaked a little so I just put the front tire in between some trees and tweak it back to the correct position. You can almost do it by straddling the front tires with your legs, but the trees make it alot easier. If you get a fork stabalizer it should fix the problem from occuring

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:49 AM

You can un-tweak it by knocking the front wheel against a curb/wall/tree as you describe, but no need to loosen anything 1st.

Dave

• squatpuke

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I had this problem after a spill as well....

I just happened to have my new triple ready to put on...so when I did, I just hand cranked the bad fork tube into position and installed new triple.

Seems perfect now.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:21 PM

I had this problem after a spill as well....

I just happened to have my new triple ready to put on...so when I did, I just hand cranked the bad fork tube into position and installed new triple.

Seems perfect now.

squatpuke:

I understand trying the cheap way by knocking it back against a curb or tree as the others suggested. But what you are saying is that you replaced the "upper" triple clamp? How much was the upper triple clamp? I think my upper one is fine, but that the lower clamp ( the one that has the stem going thru the frame) is the one that may be tweaked. I suppose I should try the cheap method first, and then go from there...I will try this tomorrow (didn't have time today due to work and open house at my son's school). Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

Geo

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.