Slow single track speeds

13 replies to this topic
  • rlcowder

Posted September 03, 2007 - 11:49 AM

I'm looking for a new bike and need a little clarification. I ride primarily quad trails at speeds of 5-12 mph. I'm concerned that if I get a yz450f it will overheat. Can someone let me know if this slow speed would cause problems or are people taking about real slow less that 5mph when overheating occurs. If that's the case I will have to go wr450f. Thanks for the help.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:29 PM

im no expert but i have a yz450f and just this past weekend crawled along with my cousin who was on a pw80. i was in first gear most of the time and experienced no over heating problems. i think u would be safe in your situation.

• mikedabike

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:38 PM

If you primarily ride quad trails at 5-12 mph why would you get a motocross bike that will barely run at those speeds? There are plenty of trail bikes that would fit your prupose better.

• Quack

Posted September 03, 2007 - 04:23 PM

If you are moving, you should be ok. They really need the air acrossed the radiators. You might think about Engine Ice coolant, that could really also help. I have had mine boil over a little in the woods, moving at a crawl and doing alot of ideling. I have yet to switch to Engine Ice, but plan to soon.

I personally would just go with a WR I know a guy that races his, so if you want to trail ride and MX that might be a better choice.

• KAS

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:36 PM

5-12mph?

You might not overheat, but they're a handfull to keep moving smoothly at those slow speeds. A change of gearing and a heavier flywheel would help.

If you're worried about overheating, you could get a coolant catch tank for a WR and mount it up.

I'd say overall a WR might suit you better.

• Captaincautious7

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:42 PM

I don't think you'll be happy with a yz at those slow speeds. To be honest I think I'd go the wr route.

• 12yamaha

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:05 AM

I have an 06 YZ450 with rekluse and really love it in the woods. We have alot of single track here in Tennessee and bike never gets real hot. I use Engine Ice, that may be one reason why. I would recommend a rekluse with any bike that you choose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rlcowder

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone. The reason I'm looking at the yz over the wr is I just can't find any near me that are used. I guess that tells me people like them. I never had electric start and I don't mind kicking. (6'4" 225lbs) I can get a nice deal on an 06 aniversary edition for $3700 so that's what started me thinking. Everyone says the motor in the yz is just as reliable as the wr so the only thing I was worried about was overheating. I doubt I will be going that slow but I wanted honest opinions if I have to wait for some slower friends.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:17 AM

They say if you go 8mph you'll be ok i think

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone. The reason I'm looking at the yz over the wr is I just can't find any near me that are used. I guess that tells me people like them. I never had electric start and I don't mind kicking. (6'4" 225lbs) I can get a nice deal on an 06 aniversary edition for $3700 so that's what started me thinking. Everyone says the motor in the yz is just as reliable as the wr so the only thing I was worried about was overheating. I doubt I will be going that slow but I wanted honest opinions if I have to wait for some slower friends.

Oh no, you dont want that YZ......So I may as well go ahead and buy it for 3700.....Just kidding:p , that sounds like a great price. You will love the YZ for woods riding. Think about a Rekluse, gear it way down..I run 12-52 in the woods with no problems at all. Engine ice is a must, it really works and think about using Two2Cool oil additive as well. If it does overheat a quick run at decent speed usually cools it right off. Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Quack

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:05 PM

If your friends are that slow I would just shut the bike off and wait for them. I know I have ridden slower than 12 mph following my son. And I dont see how the YZ is such a bear to handle at that speed. And mine is an 03, with no FWW or Rekluse. I just have to remember the clutch is my friend.

• hillclimbguy

Posted September 04, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Sounds like a good deal. Drop your gearing. I run a 13-54 for the tight stuff. I went richer on the pilot and richer on the main. I also run Engine ice for the coolant. Never had a problem with over heating.
I heard that a smaller countershaft sprocket was hard on chains dont know for sure just heard from other riders. I guess its personal preference. Good luck.

• Fastest1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 10:29 AM

The yz/wr motors are the same basically, different cams and gears but close enough. The Yz's are fine in the woods. I cant figure out why you are going so slow on such a wide path. Re: smaller countershaft sprocket, it is not harder on the chain, it is harder on the sprocket because there are less teeth and it has to make more revolutions. Wear is increased on the front sprocket, good they are cheap!

• Wiz636

Posted September 07, 2007 - 12:11 PM

I run my '06 on tight gnarly singletrack all the time (1st/2nd gear stuff) and I have yet to lose any coolant (my 426 is a dfferent story though). I have found that as long as I am going fast enough to keep my goggles from fogging up then the bike is okay.

I do however shut it off whenever I come to a stop even for a moment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.