Anyone come from a Husky to Yamaha

19 replies to this topic
  • nw scout

Posted September 03, 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hey guys

Just wnodering what you feelings are between the two bikes.
I have a WR 450 now but am unable to get a plate for it here in Oregon.
The Husky TE 450 looks to be a great bike and comes fully street legal.
I love my Yamaha but really wat to do some dual purpose ridding as well as single track.
If you have made the switch, what info can you give me? Handelling, size, weight, relibality, power, stuff like that.
Thanks for the help
Dave

• PROWLER 58

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:20 PM

I did Dave, I had a Husky 610 WXE along time ago, an off-road style bike. Tons of power, high end parts all over. But it vibrated badly, constaintly kicked the rubber boot off because of backfires,and was very expensive to maintain. I would not trade my new WR450 for 2 of them. That was back in the mid 90s, Husky may be much better now, but when I made my choice, after much research I picked the WR. there is a kind of charm about Huskys I think, But man are they expensive, and with so few dealers around its hard to negotiate . Good luck with choice.

• clark4131

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:04 PM

If you're going street legal, I strongly suggest the KTM 450 or 525 EXC...SC

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:33 PM

If you're going street legal, I strongly suggest the KTM 450 or 525 EXC...SC

What makes them better than the husky, besides the wide ratio 6 speeds as opposed to the close ratio 6er in the husky?

• clark4131

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Slightly better reliability, availability, performance, aftermarket goodies, etc., etc...SC

• dmoney1074

Posted September 03, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Slightly better reliability, availability, performance, aftermarket goodies, etc., etc...SC

Not to disagree, but Ive heard ktm's are less reliable and harder to work on because of the design. I really love both brands (too poor to own either), ktm is very high performance, husky are a little lees high strung from what i hear. I have ridden a ktm 450sx, and a husky 510smr and the husky def. felt less busy. Just my 2 centavos! :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 03, 2007 - 09:06 PM

I have ridden a ktm 450sx, and a husky 510smr and the husky def. felt less busy. Just my 2 centavos! :thumbsup:

You're comparing apples to oranges. For starters, the 510 has a torque advantage over any 450 so it can go the same speed as a smaller bike without being stressed as much

The SMR is essentially a TE (enduro) spec engine put in a SM bike. A more fair comparison would be a KTM SX vs. a Husqvarna TC (MX). A direct comparison to the SMR engine would be a KTM EXC.

KTM RFS motor is a long stroke engine while the Husky is a short stroke engine. Compare a RFS 450 to the Husky 450, you'll find that the Husky is the higher strung bike. Same can be said for the KTM 525 and the Husky 510.

Husky's reliability seems to be hit or miss while KTM seems to be more consistent. Many owners never (read: NEVER) have any issues with their huskies while there are some that seem to have a bike of doom (kickstarter shafts, water pump seals, etc).

FWIW it seems like the Husqvarna top ends have Yamaha like reliability and longevity. Aparently the KTM valves need adjustment more often. Also, I've studied the oiling system on both bikes and I'd rather do an oil change on a Husqvarna (similar to steel framed WR/YZ)

Dealing with two screens and two filters on the KTM is bullshit

• BigcahunaK

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:42 AM

Dave
First leme tel ya, either the Husky or the Yamaha are great, and in my opinion are a better pick than the orange. The Alum frame yamaha feels smaller than any 450 out there. However it comes with a price - hard carb access, which isnt such a big deal once you got it dialed in.
If you cant plate the WR where you are, dont feel too bad with the TE - you just lose a little in the tight and nasty stuff, but not too much. The Husky frame cornering/stability geometry is one of the best. Suspension is somewhere around the same level. You wont get any color scratches or rust on the Yamaha frame though :thumbsup:
You'll find aftermarket parts, and even OEM parts, availability in favour of the blue one.

• bmeador

Posted September 04, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I had a 2005 te 450 and 03,04,06,07 wr 450's. The husky Rules in the rough extremely rock stuff, Other than that they are real close. If u have a good local dealer the Husky would be a exellent choice for you.:thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 02:30 PM

Suspension is somewhere around the same level.

I respectfully disagree there. The Kayaba fork on the WR works really well out of the box while the Marzocchi fork on the Husqvarna is really harsh and takes a long while (800-1000 mi) to fully break in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:12 PM

The new TE is fuel injected.........

Other than that I bleed blue. Yamaha needs to fire all of their marketing gurus, their heads are obviously way to far up their asses to see the light of day or how bad they are getting their asses kicked when it comes to the 450 Off road market... any other company would not be able to survive and would have quit making / selling the WR a long time ago. Put a F:censored:ing plate on it already :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:26 PM

^^^ Tell us how you really feel :thumbsup:

Remember the street lineup has not come out yet

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:31 PM

^^^ Tell us how you really feel :thumbsup:

Remember the street lineup has not come out yet

Husky's and KTM's street lineup came out..... about 5 years ago!

JSF... are you implying that Yamaha is gonna unveil a dual sported WR in the US sometime this year?

• coffee

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:06 PM

I respectfully disagree there. The Kayaba fork on the WR works really well out of the box while the Marzocchi fork on the Husqvarna is really harsh and takes a long while (800-1000 mi) to fully break in.

If you are using my bike as a bench mark - the forks had built up pressure over time and not bled.... I do like your bike a lot. :thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:08 PM

Husky's and KTM's street lineup came out..... about 5 years ago!

JSF... are you implying that Yamaha is gonna unveil a dual sported WR in the US sometime this year?

A street plated WR would be a dream coming true for us living in California, I would even be willing to pay a small premium compared to current WR prices. I ride mostly forest trails, so a plated WR would make a world of difference for me, maybe JSF is just implying that it's only a matter of time before yamaha comes up with a DS bike, maybe not necessarily a WR, but a DS bike.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:52 PM

maybe JSF is just implying that it's only a matter of time before yamaha comes up with a DS bike, maybe not necessarily a WR, but a DS bike.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

The WR has a cult like following. There are alot of long time WR riders that are bent that the bike does not come street legal from the factory(especially when it is in other countries). There are also riders that want an alternatve to the euro bikes (dealer network maybe?). With the KTM and Husky DS bikes being so popular, I'd be surprised if Yamaha didn't come out with something along the lines of a EXC or TE.

The ideal dual sport for me would be something in the spirit of a WR with the raptor 700's fuel injected engine, 280 lb dry weight, and wide ratio 6 speed

• erickdj

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:50 PM

The ideal dual sport for me would be something in the spirit of a WR with the raptor 700's fuel injected engine, 280 lb dry weight, and wide ratio 6 speed

I would wet my pants if that were to come true, then I would be on my way to a yamaha dealer to talk $$$ with somebody.

• BigcahunaK

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:03 PM

In a way, you are correct, but on the same spot its a downfall for the Yami. The Husky would feel harsh for the milage you mentioned if you trail ride it. Take it to the track for quick break in and you shorten the harshness period by a lot. The WR feels plush right outside the dealer door, but start getting too soft after that milage. I believe most of our real riding takes place past the 1K miles mark...
Regardless to all that, Both forks are good for what they are designed, and I still clame that they are somewhat on the same level. If you ride on magazines opinion you'd most likely be a kayaba fan. And dont get me wrong - I own a 07 WR450 and like it a lot, I just dont follow the mags as godsend wisdom.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:18 PM

Put a F:censored:ing plate on it already :eek:

:thumbsup: :ride: :bonk: :eek:

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:59 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

That would be cool but I want something I can go do a 70+ mile loop on in some of our national forests where 90% of it is single track and 10% of it is two track or maybe even some pavement so my dream come true would be a WR450 in it's current form with the street legal options that are found in Oz, New Zealand, and other countries....:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.