xr650l electric start problems

13 replies to this topic
  • cessna250

Posted September 03, 2007 - 09:43 AM

I went to start the bike and it does not start. Pulled plug out and tried starting and saw no spark at the gap. Any advice on where to start the troubleshoot. I am on vacation in the sticks and have no manual to look at.

• Old Dog

Posted September 03, 2007 - 10:54 AM

With no spark, the first thing I'd check is the plug, the second thing I'd check is the CDI, along with the wires leading into it (check for a ground and/or broken wires).

• cessna250

Posted September 03, 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have unplugged the wire to the plug and installed another one, while holding the plug to the engine and frame and hitting the start, no spark was seen. Is the CDI under the seat?? Without a manual, how can I ID the CDI?? I will try following the wires and look for something. Thanks for any help from Y'all.

• martinfan30

Posted September 03, 2007 - 02:07 PM

I have unplugged the wire to the plug and installed another one, while holding the plug to the engine and frame and hitting the start, no spark was seen. Is the CDI under the seat?? Without a manual, how can I ID the CDI?? I will try following the wires and look for something. Thanks for any help from Y'all.

only thing you can check is for all the correct inputs to the cdi. you replaced the plug or wire? check the plug wire resistor. also check your safety switches(kickstand, clutch)--- you can bypass all the safetys by grounding both wires connected to the clutch switch.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:13 AM

When you pull the [COLOR="Red"]R[/COLOR]LHS side panel (seat stays on), the CDI is the flat box with the wires in the rear of the battery box.

Hit that sucker a few times, then try it.

Dave

• cessna250

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Thank You for the hint...I hit it a few times with a wrench while starting and it fired right up...It does click when I hit the start switch...reminds me of starter problems on my old Chevy truck...I think Ill just go replace it with a new unit and end of that. Thanks all for the quick responses, now I can finish my honeymoon. Talk to y'all later, take care.

Sidney

• martinfan30

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:57 AM

congrats on the recent marriage!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gassyphil

Posted May 29, 2008 - 08:00 PM

I had the same problem on my bike :bonk: Glad this thread was here :thumbsup: Ended up being a bad conection :ride:

• martinfan30

Posted May 29, 2008 - 08:06 PM

I went to start the bike and it does not start. Pulled plug out and tried starting and saw no spark at the gap. Any advice on where to start the troubleshoot. I am on vacation in the sticks and have no manual to look at.

Try and connect both wires at the clutch switch AND ground them. This bypasses all the safety switches.

Seen some kickstand switches fail.

• RipperFox

Posted May 29, 2008 - 11:16 PM

That wrench thing works on wives too...

Just ask my first three...

• Purcell69

Posted May 30, 2008 - 01:34 AM

That wrench thing works on wives too...

Just ask my first three...

I can't do that...My wife shoots back. Never take a wrench to a gun fight!:thumbsup:

-Joe

• Gassyphil

Posted May 30, 2008 - 05:39 AM

Try and connect both wires at the clutch switch AND ground them. This bypasses all the safety switches.

Seen some kickstand switches fail.

I also did that! :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted May 30, 2008 - 06:34 AM

I also did that! :thumbsup:

Is that how you found the problem? Where was the bad connection?

• Gassyphil

Posted May 30, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Is that how you found the problem? Where was the bad connection?

It was a bad conection at the box. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.