2008 Xr650l

7 replies to this topic
  • donkey08

Posted September 03, 2007 - 07:28 AM

Picked up a new dirt bike already have smog kit and uni airfilter on the way looking at pipes and tanks any thoughts. From what I've read it looks like clarke and IMS for the tanks what's the most popular slip-ons?
Kevin

• flyin vee

Posted September 03, 2007 - 07:42 AM

I have an 07 XRL and I ended up with the Clarke 4.7 tank. It mounted easily and have not had any problems with it. As for the exhaust I went with the FMF Q2. It flows much better than stock while not being too loud. good luck and enjoy your L. Ozzy

• donkey08

Posted September 03, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Did you take smog pump and canisters off? How about jets how hard is that?
Kevin

• martinfan30

Posted September 03, 2007 - 02:09 PM

i like the look of the ims tank, the clarke seems kinda bulbous. i really like my WB e2 series slip-on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boonedog

Posted September 12, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Picked up a new dirt bike already have smog kit and uni airfilter on the way looking at pipes and tanks any thoughts. From what I've read it looks like clarke and IMS for the tanks what's the most popular slip-ons?
Kevin

I have a 2000 XR 650 L. I bought it to drive on the street to get to the trails and then blast around in the dirt. This is what I have done to mine:
Uncorked it using Dave's Mods, as everyone says, it totally changed the bike. Put on a CR 250 front fender with some slight modifications, looks great and no more big floppy front fender!
Installed Cee Baily's windshield which is amazing when you're cruising to the trails, blocks the chest blast from the upright riding position with no head buffeting (I'm 6'4"). Happy trails skid plate and highway pegs - great for a tall rider or anyone wanting to stretch out a little on the road.
Supertrapp pipe/silencer, I have had xr's since the venerable 1979 xr 500 wheelie king, and always had the Supertrapp pipes (with 8-9 disks) its so nice and solid and sounds great! I also have a Clarke 4.7 tank which I chose over the Acerbis because there are no modifications needed and the physical size of the tank is really "rideable". Conservatively get 180 miles per tank without the reserve with the 15/45 front/rear gearing. I also put on a heated grip assembly which is a luxury on those cold mornings. Sure is fun!!!

• EXxrldtgnow300dtg

Posted September 13, 2008 - 05:19 AM

i like the look of the ims tank, the clarke seems kinda bulbous. i really like my WB e2 series slip-on.

I keep reading about those WB e2's, I can't figure out why, but they don't make them anymore.

As for the tank, the Aceribis comes with a dual petcock setup, all the fuel line you need and a Y connector. Another member on here only had to move his front blinkers to the top mount, that was it. The dual petcocks allow you to actually get to use the gas sitting at the bottom of the tank on BOTH sides without having to shake the big pig to move it to the side with the petcock. My only gripe about the Acerbis is that it only comes in white.

• road_toad666

Posted September 13, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I keep reading about those WB e2's, I can't figure out why, but they don't make them anymore.

As for the tank, the Aceribis comes with a dual petcock setup, all the fuel line you need and a Y connector. Another member on here only had to move his front blinkers to the top mount, that was it. The dual petcocks allow you to actually get to use the gas sitting at the bottom of the tank on BOTH sides without having to shake the big pig to move it to the side with the petcock. My only gripe about the Acerbis is that it only comes in white.

Re-jetting is a MUST!! Dave's mods are the best hour or 2 you could EVER spend working on your L. Here are the links!!

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

http://jetsrus.com/main_page.htm

http://www3.towerhob...p?&I=LXE035&P=M

A friend of mine here has the Clarke 4.7- i have to admit the tank looks like it belongs on the bike. I still have the stocker cuz 2 gallons is enough to wear me out, that and the oversize tanks force me to spread 'em, and my hips would kill me with too much of that. the choice is yours, really- but the Clarke is a damn nice looking unit with a pretty fair price.

• Cloud9

Posted September 13, 2008 - 05:06 PM

For my '08 XR650L I've ordered the smog kit, SharkFin, tank and side graphics from XRs Only, a Clarke 4.7, Utah Sport's skid plate, and FMF Q2. I'll have a friend do Dave's mods to the carb. I'll also get a higher Pro Taper bar, fatter foot pegs, a 140/80 rear tire (probably D908) with a matching D.O.T. front also, and later on a stainless steel header. Then way down the road maybe a 680 kit.

After looking around and not finding a lot of choices I went for the FMF-Q2 for stealth, weight, power, and looks. There wasn't a great deal of info that I could find and the Q2 seems like it will work just fine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.