07 450 intake valve out of spec

13 replies to this topic
  • chan470

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hey TTer's. I have a problem. Need you help.

I have approximately 30hrs on my bike. I checked the valve clearance for the first time today. All exhaust were @ .22mm and two intake were @ .12 mm. One intake was tight and out of spec. A .102 mm would not fit and a .078mm fit but was very loose. I don't have a feeler between the two measurements. I'm guessing the valve clearance @ .09mm.

Has anybody else had problems with the 07 valves being tight? Now I'm worried about the valve that was tight. I had a 426 for 5 years and the valves were never out of spec.

Should I just reshim and not worry about it. Could the valve be damaged? Can I just remove the intake cam and reshim without removing the exhaust cam since they were in spec?

So what do you think? :thumbsup:

• todds924

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:06 PM

Hey TTer's. I have a problem. Need you help.

I have approximately 30hrs on my bike. I checked the valve clearance for the first time today. All exhaust were @ .22mm and two intake were @ .12 mm. One intake was tight and out of spec. A .102 mm would not fit and a .078mm fit but was very loose. I don't have a feeler between the two measurements. I'm guessing the valve clearance @ .09mm.

Has anybody else had problems with the 07 valves being tight? Now I'm worried about the valve that was tight. I had a 426 for 5 years and the valves were never out of spec.

Should I just reshim and not worry about it. Could the valve be damaged? Can I just remove the intake cam and reshim without removing the exhaust cam since they were in spec?

So what do you think? :thumbsup:

In my experience with Yamahas, that is rare to hear of a valve being out of spec. I;m going to guess that its probably the middle intake valve? I would just re-shim it and not worry about it. You can re-shim it by rolling the motor over to Top Dead center, retract your cam chain tensioner and remove the intake cam holder. Just push the cam forward and remove the bucket of the one you need to change.

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:28 PM

This happens occasionally, and it's normally due to the valve settling into the slightly less than perfect seat. The loss of clearance is usually small, and stops as soon as the seat wears into a match with the valve.

In your case, shim as needed to get into spec, then recheck in 10-15 hours. If the clearance has remained as you set it, then the problem you have is just a new valve seat settling, and you'll be OK.

• chan470

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:18 AM

grayracer- My shim pads do not have numbers on them. How do I know what shim to install? Have you ever seen pads without the numbers on them?
&%$#@!?!?!?!

I buy yamaha's so I do not have to deal with stuff like this!!

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:30 AM

The number may have faded, or just not have been very dark. Try taking it out into the sunlight to se if you can read it.

Failing that, if you don't own a micrometer, take the shim to your dealer and have their service department mike it for you.

• chan470

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:53 AM

I used a flashlight NO number. I'll try sunlight but I'm almost positive the number is gone. I also noticed that the cam tensioner what missing a washer. I know that is not a big deal but I'm feeling like I bought a lemon.

The bike is great on the track (the best I have owned) but I expect more from Yamaha than missing washers and out of spec valves. Just having a rant.

Thanks for the help.

• todds924

Posted September 03, 2007 - 11:22 AM

I used a flashlight NO number. I'll try sunlight but I'm almost positive the number is gone. I also noticed that the cam tensioner what missing a washer. I know that is not a big deal but I'm feeling like I bought a lemon.

The bike is great on the track (the best I have owned) but I expect more from Yamaha than missing washers and out of spec valves. Just having a rant.

Thanks for the help.

Sometimes depending on which way the shim is installed, the numbers will wear off. A set of digital calipers is a great investment. Are you sure the cam chain adjuster washer didin't stick to the bolt? Never seen one without a washer....unless someones already had that bolt out and lost it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chan470

Posted September 03, 2007 - 01:34 PM

yes I'm sure the washer is not installed. This is my first break down of the bike so I know I have not removed the bolt. I don't know about the dealership but why would they remove the cam chain adjuster?

A buddy is a tool and die machinist. He is going to mic it tomorrow.

• todds924

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:41 PM

yes I'm sure the washer is not installed. This is my first break down of the bike so I know I have not removed the bolt. I don't know about the dealership but why would they remove the cam chain adjuster?

A buddy is a tool and die machinist. He is going to mic it tomorrow.

The washer is a copper washer. If you bought the bike new it should have been there. Never seen one come from the factory without one. Never!! Now maybe one of the mechanics at the dealership lost one and "borrowed" one from your bike.

• chan470

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:37 AM

I reshimmed the valve and now it is within spec. When I started the bike the engine noise seems louder. The engine has always been loud but it seems louder now. Can a new shim pad make the engine "knock"? I took it part and doubled checked valve clearances and timing. All was correct.

I went to practice lastnight and the noise is driving me crazy. A friend has the same bike so we started them up and my engine noise was louder. I would describe his as a "tick" and mine as a "knock". The noise was louder at idle and on the right side of bike. Not "clutch" noise. I know that sound and this is different.

When I checked the timing the dots on both cams where lined up with the head as stated in the manual but the exhaust cam seemed slightly higher.

I also noticed one more thing when I start the bike it back fired a couple of times when I was kicking it over. I don't remember it doing it before. But the bike was easier to start.

Sorry for the long post. I have double race weekend coming up and I'm freaking out! :ride: Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:47 AM

I
When I checked the timing the dots on both cams where lined up with the head as stated in the manual but the exhaust cam seemed slightly higher.

Because of the length of the chain in this engine, the cams will rarely line up perfectly. The question is, if you moved the cam one tooth either way, would it line up better, or worse?

It is possible, if unlikely, that you have a loose primary gear or clutch boss retaining nut. If you're that concerned by the noise, you should probably pull the right side open and check things out.

• kyle450rider

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:03 AM

I reshimmed the valve and now it is within spec. When I started the bike the engine noise seems louder. The engine has always been loud but it seems louder now. Can a new shim pad make the engine "knock"? I took it part and doubled checked valve clearances and timing. All was correct.

I went to practice lastnight and the noise is driving me crazy. A friend has the same bike so we started them up and my engine noise was louder. I would describe his as a "tick" and mine as a "knock". The noise was louder at idle and on the right side of bike. Not "clutch" noise. I know that sound and this is different.

I also noticed one more thing when I start the bike it back fired a couple of times when I was kicking it over. I don't remember it doing it before. But the bike was easier to start.

Sorry for the long post. I have double race weekend coming up and I'm freaking out! :ride: Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Had to shimm mine at the 8 hour mark on a 2007. Your situation is the exact thing that happened to me. All the people on here that were complaining about engine noise. Well i had none before reshimming. After shimming its loud but i've put 10 hours on it since with no problems. I think its just a yamaha thing! I hear a loud tick but no knocking sound. I can hear it riding but just when i let off the gas into a corner.

• chan470

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:05 AM

Because of the length of the chain in this engine, the cams will rarely line up perfectly. The question is, if you moved the cam one tooth either way, would it line up better, or worse?

the timing marks on camshaft gears or the cam lobes?

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:39 AM

Gears. There are no marks on the cam lobes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.