07 450 High/Low beam headlight

20 replies to this topic
  • Randy Nilles

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Is there a way to wire in a high/low switch into the 07 WR 450? Where do you get the parts and how do you do it if so? Thanks in advance:worthy:

• xrmarty

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Ive been wondering that myself. My brother just had his stator coverted to handle a 55W light (high and low beam) (07 KTM 450XC). The guy that did it for him said that the WR's put out enough wattage out of the box and need no messing around with the stator. If this is true, all you would need is a headlamp of your choice with high/low beam with some switches

• Merlin450

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:57 AM

The OEM bulb is hi/lo and the wiring is already there, you just need a switch.

• RJB

Posted September 03, 2007 - 04:52 AM

The OEM bulb is hi/lo and the wiring is already there, you just need a switch.

And here is the wiring diagram for it http://www.blake-wor...-WR450-07-a.jpg

• suntan46

Posted September 03, 2007 - 12:07 PM

MERLIN450. Do you know if you can do the same on the 04WRF

• crooks420

Posted September 03, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Arent these putting out AC current?

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Is there a way to wire in a high/low switch into the 07 WR 450? Where do you get the parts and how do you do it if so? Thanks in advance:worthy:

Yes, the WR's come with high beam on all the time. I added the K&S dual sport switch to mine, and wired it up. It has an "off, low beam and high beam" and I wired it in such a way, when its off, so it my tail lamp. But when its all one, tial lamp also works as a stop lamp. I added the pressure switch also from K$S. I also made a wiring diagram. If you search, you may find my post. I went into great details. I will try to locate it also. Check out my garage, look at the WR, there is a picture of the switch on the handlebar (closeup) In addition to being able to shut it off, I also have an extra element if the high beam lamp fails.

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Arent these putting out AC current?

Yes, the headlamp is AC, but the bulbs dont care.

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 12:53 PM

MERLIN450. Do you know if you can do the same on the 04WRF

Yes, did it, mine is an 04!

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 01:04 PM

OK, this is for the 04, but I'd bet the wiring it the same, ie color. Old thread, but here is the link: http://www.thumperta...217#post1435217

It has the wiring explained.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Randy Nilles

Posted September 03, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info so far.

I do believe the 07 must be on low beam. There is a green wire running into the plug but no yellow. There is however, all three green, yellow, and black running to the headlamp. Do you think if I just plugged the green into the yellow spot it would give me hi beam?

• PROWLER 58

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:33 PM

I do believe the 07 must be on low beam. There is a green wire running into the plug but no yellow. There is however, all three green, yellow, and black running to the headlamp. Do you think if I just plugged the green into the yellow spot it would give me hi beam?

Good Question, I swear my 07 WR is in low beam , not high. Wish I knew for sure , If it is in high now at stock Ill leave it alone,if its in low , I need to change it. I was out the other night and its just not bright enough to be safe. Bob

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 04:25 PM

No, its on high beam. My 04 was always on also, and it was high beam. Low beam consumes the same wattage, and shine more in front of you. Visibility isnt as good, but makes for a great back up element if high fails. Can anyone post a US wiring diagram of the 07's? I will study it and report back with my findings. What you guys want can be done.

• PROWLER 58

Posted September 03, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Can anyone post a US wiring diagram of the 07's? I will study it and report back with my findings. What you guys want can be done.

That would be great. Does your high beam seem bright ? Mine is not, thats why I think maybe its on low for the 07. thanks, Bob

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Does your high beam seem bright ? Mine is not, thats why I think maybe its on low for the 07. thanks, Bob

I'm willing to bet its still on high beam or misadjusted. The brightness is the same for high or lo beam on these, one just shines lower than the other because of the location of the element in relation to the reflector. High beam element is dead center, while low beam element is higher. This makes it reflect higher up on the top reflector, so it shines downward. Both elements were the same wattage. I dont remember if it was 35 or 55 watts.

• tweav

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:51 PM

stock they are wired on low beam. I just rewired mine for street use. I put in a switch and rewired the stator . then put on baja designs voltage regulator . it made the lights much brighter at low rpm's . I mounted the voltage regulator to the bracket for the air injection , because my fork touched it in the stock location.

• Nick450X

Posted September 05, 2007 - 05:00 AM

there is a company in the uk who make kits for the wr 07 plus older models
www.proracing.co.uk

• SXP

Posted September 05, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Can anyone post a US wiring diagram of the 07's? I will study it and report back with my findings. What you guys want can be done. That would be great. Does your high beam seem bright ? Mine is not, thats why I think maybe its on low for the 07. thanks, Bob

The 07s use the low beam. See below:

http://www.thumperta...8&highlight=SXP

• Randy Nilles

Posted September 09, 2007 - 01:50 PM

So... where are we now? Is there a way to wire this light to high beam? Thanks!:thumbsup:

• tweav

Posted September 09, 2007 - 02:44 PM

yes just switch the yellow and the green for highbeam ,just use a small paperclip to release the wires . the high beam on these is not brighter on these bikes it is just aimed higher and more focused, then the low beam

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.