will 07 YZ250 filter cage fit 07 YZ450f?

8 replies to this topic
  • cnorton

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:41 PM

just wondering if the 07 YZ250 smoker filter cage will fit into the 07 YZ450 to eliminate the backfire screen? Does anyone know? This is my first YZ450. Thanks.

• Markopolo400

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Yes it will fit.

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2007 - 05:26 PM

Sure. It will fit. But why? :thumbsup:

• cnorton

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:09 PM

just wondering if it is worth running a cage without a backfire screen? is there any noticable difference?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2007 - 10:13 PM

Not according to dyno testing done on Doug Henry's SM YZ450 in '04. They tried a variety of different air box setups, and the removal of the screen made no detectable difference. The thing is that the best oiled foam filters are more restrictive that the screen is, so the screen is not an effective air flow limiter within the intake system on your bike.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:08 AM

if you do this - make sure you get a fireproof filter - Twin Air

• cnorton

Posted September 03, 2007 - 08:03 AM

just wondering if it is worth running a cage without a backfire screen? is there any noticable difference?

Not according to dyno testing done on Doug Henry's SM YZ450 in '04. They tried a variety of different air box setups, and the removal of the screen made no detectable difference. The thing is that the best oiled foam filters are more restrictive that the screen is, so the screen is not an effective air flow limiter within the intake system on your bike.

Makes sense, so what air filters flow best and how much should a person be oiling them without having the chance of dirt infiltration. I use twin air filters with no toil and try to squeeze them out after oiling as much as possible, I do believe that an over oiled filter will restrict air flow.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Most of the better filters (Twin Air, White, etc., flow about the same. I don't have any test results at hand to refer to as to one being better than the other, but it's never made a difference I've been able to notice.

The filter, in order to protect the engine, has to be oiled so that every cubic centimeter, not every square centimeter, of the foam media is coated with oil. The only good way to ensure this is to apply an excess, work it thoroughly through the element, and squeeze off what you can. If you actually leave an excess in the filter, it will usually "drain" to the bottom edge as it dries.

• KJ790

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:08 PM

I have run two stroke cages in all of my fourstrokes for years just b/c I think they are easier to install than cages with a screen. I can wrap my fingers inside when putting the screen into the filter. The bike doesn't run any different, but I think it's worth it for me just for the ease of changing the filter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.