How do I liven up the motor on my XR650L

4 replies to this topic
  • dirtflea

Posted September 02, 2007 - 02:27 PM

I did a search before I posted this, I didn't find anything. I have a 1993 XR650L and I enjoy riding it but the motor is a little flat. I had an 1988 NX650 that had been "XR'ed" and it would run circles around this bike. I don't need hard hitting power, my 450 does that just fine. I just want the motor to feel less plugged up. The bike has the AMS smog replacement kit and a Supertrapp exhaust, other than that it is stock. I look forward to getting this thing running a little better.

• Bibleman

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:38 PM

Do a search for Dave's mods and follow the instructions:prof: I know there's a link to the step by step page and I'm sure someone will post it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • T-Doshi9

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:30 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=548549 look at this post... im doing the mods tomorrow. i hear that they are the best things you can do for your bike in the stock form. hope this helps you. i have done alot of research and EVERYONE says these are the "free" mods to wake the bike up.

• crmc33

Posted September 03, 2007 - 06:50 AM

Stage 1 Hotcam is a simple ( & fairly inexpensive) mod if you want a bit more ooomph

• dirtflea

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:06 PM

Thanks guys! Unfortunately both of these mods have been done already. I think the Ol' Pig is tired. I have decided to pull the top end down and have a look. She just don't have the power she should and the bike has been on a couple of Baja trips before I bought it. I have done a couple off 300 mile days on it and plenty of singletrack. I know, I know, it not a singletrack bike but my 450 is a "red-sticker" and I was "jonesing" for some of the good stuff. I just got home from a day of dusty singletrack riding. It is harder to do on the pig but it is better than a ticket or sitting at home on the couch!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.