Question on gearing...

1 reply to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 02, 2007 - 01:18 PM

I have an 05 wr450, stock gearing, fmf pipe, etc...

I ride in enduros, hare n hounds, etc... in the socal desert. I also do dual sport rides, but mostly technical stuff.

I often find myself riding in high rpm second or low rpm third gear. I am always clicking between 2nd and 3rd to try to keep the engine spinning at rpm's that will still give me some accelleration. But I end up shifting too much.

If I go to a 13 tooth counter sprocket, I am thinking that I will have a little more pull when in low rpm third and can acclerate better. This way I can lug it more in third and then accelerate when I have to.

But... will it make 1st gear worthless for me? What will it do to my overall top end (that I rarely use anyways). What will be the effect on gas mileage? Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dazzabb

Posted September 02, 2007 - 05:20 PM

I fit a 13 tooth front 2 weeks ago to my 05 WR450.
Now running 13/50 and I love it.

You will notice the improvement in that 3rd can be used more often and yes it will reduce the amount of shifting if you were using 2/3 gear often.

On the downside 1st is pretty low but still usable in the REALLY tight and knarly stuff.

Fuel consumption will increase (as if it could get any worse!)

I like the fact it will crawl down the hills a wee bit slowler as well with reduced gearing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.